Talk

Advanced search

To think what fresh hell is this?!

(279 Posts)
Happyinheels Tue 26-Feb-19 20:49:35

Exactly that!!

What fresh hell is this?!!

43 years old... noticed a hair on my chin. Yep. A HAIR on my chin. BTW I'm female. For clarity. I feel that's an important piece of information. Anyway, back to the hair. It wasn't just a little hair. It was jet black and stuck out at an angle - like it was stood on end. I mean - how long has said hair been there?! And why the hell has no one told me?!!! Have people been doing that thing when talking to me where they're trying desperately to maintain eye contact whilst thinking all the while 'don't look at the chin, must not look at the chin.'

Upon said discovery I grabbed my tweezers. I say grabbed but to be honest I weep when trying to pluck my eyebrows so I couldn't lay my hands upon said tweezers straight away since I hid them and vowed to never inflict such pain on myself ever again. Anyway, I digress. Had to stand very close to the mirror because at this point I realised that my eyesight is just not quite what it used to be and focusing on said hair just wasn't quite that easy. It took forever to find the little bugger again and when I did I couldn't quite grab it and as such my chin now looks like it's been attacked by a small animal.

Not satisfied with the discovery of said hair, as I was stood in the bathroom, practically nose to mirror I was a little taken aback at the line of fuzz on my top lip! Again, I ask you all dear people, what fresh hell is this?!!! Knowing that my DD has Veet wax strips (others are presumably available?!!) in her shit tip bedroom I decided I was on a roll and that I'd tackle said fuzz. Fuck me. Dear God. I read the instructions and held the strip in my hand to warm it. The first strip I put on I pressed down firmly. And then?...

Then I was too scared to pull it off. I counted to 3. Then I counted to 3 again. Then I counted to 10. Again I ask you, what fresh hell is this?????? Plucking eyebrows has nowt on this!! Weeping??? Rolling round on the bathroom floor! However... I'd only done one side. There was no one home to dtd and it fell to me to finish what I'd started.

Needless to say that whilst my chin looks like I've been attacked by a small animal , fuck me my top lip has been annihilated!!!!

I ask again dear friends, what fresh hell is this getting older?!!!

How long till the bleeding stops and the red swelling goes down?? I look like I've had lip fillers that have gone wrong!

JenniferJareau Wed 27-Feb-19 18:07:21

Not RTFT but invest in a par of Tweezermans. Best money you'll spend when it comes to chin hair!

6timesthemess Wed 27-Feb-19 18:07:38

I am 35 with red hair and fair skin and I have a black moustache of about 8 hairs that grow on one side of my lip - no idea why biy they stand out like crazy if I don’t keep on top of it!

EggysMom Wed 27-Feb-19 18:18:19

Reading this thread has made me realise, I no longer have long nipple hairs. I wonder why that might be? Is that where I've gone bald with age?

I had one horrible black chin hair which got plucked half-a-dozen times before it gave up and decided not to grow back. I also have a hair grows out of a facial mole ("beauty spot" hahahaha) which I am scared to pluck because of the mole, so that get shaved.

I do have hobbit toes though.

Emoconn Wed 27-Feb-19 18:20:51

Is this for real?? I’m 32 and have been plucking my entire face since I was about 25. One chin hair? Come on like

FudgeBrownie2019 Wed 27-Feb-19 18:21:17

I have a Cindy Crawford style freckle next to my top lip and one filthy bastard hair that's like white wire comes out of it every now and then. But I only ever notice him when he's about a foot long; one day he's nowhere to be seen, the next morning he appears, waving merrily in the breeze and measuring a foot long.

moosesormeece Wed 27-Feb-19 18:23:17

I'm in my early 30s and have been pulling black hairs out of my chin for years. The good thing about getting older is that as I'm going grey on my head, some of the chin hairs are coming out white too so they're less noticeable (still thick and pointy though!)

PotatoesAndJelly Wed 27-Feb-19 18:27:27

Been getting (a lot of!) them since I was mid/late twenties, black and course and I have light hair and skin- you're one of the lucky ones!

Liketoshop Wed 27-Feb-19 18:28:27

Is this all you have to worry about?

Littlenic73 Wed 27-Feb-19 18:31:28

I have lots, they just seem to keep duplicating - little buggers. Some of them are black and, I don't know if this is worse, others are white!
I have spent days hunting for the tweezers and finally found them today and cleared most of them. OP if it's any consolation it doesn't hurt anything like eyebrows - I can't bring myself to do anything to them.

grumiosmum Wed 27-Feb-19 18:42:37

Just wait until you get to your 50s and the chin hairs turn white.

Yup.

spriggit Wed 27-Feb-19 18:50:04

My sister and I have a pact- if we are ever in Hospital and unable-we will sort each others chin hair out. I now have the same pact with a few good friends.

Oliversmumsarmy Wed 27-Feb-19 18:51:22

I have been able to grow a full blown beard since 17, tweezers wouldn’t cut it.

Electrolysis didn’t do anything. Used to go every 3 days

ToftyAC Wed 27-Feb-19 18:58:23

I’m 44 and seemingly growing a whole fucking beard! 😣

Cherry83 Wed 27-Feb-19 19:02:44

Invest in a x5 mirror, you will be able to see yourself in glorious detail and you will be able to spot any stray hairs before anyone else (hopefully)!

Mumshappy Wed 27-Feb-19 19:02:51

I have a ginger hair that grows out of my neck. Not ginger even slightly. I get so much satisfaction pulling the bastard out every other week. Just put some sudocrem on your chin it will be fine tomorrow.

MrsKoala Wed 27-Feb-19 19:10:52

I am 42 and have been plucking my chin for about 20 years. Every year I get more.

We went away for 5 days last summer and I forgot my tweezers. Usually I'd rush out and buy another pair but we were rural and I already have about 10 pairs at home. So I decided to leave my chin to see what happened. LOADS of hairs came thru. So many that when I got home I decided to count them. I stopped counting at 37 <sob>

I have now invested in one of those Philips light things to start zapping my face with.

MadauntofA Wed 27-Feb-19 19:11:21

Had many too since my 20's. I even keep tweezers at work because there is nothing worse than feeling a hair and being conscious about it.

AlmostAJillSandwich Wed 27-Feb-19 19:11:33

PCOS, i grow quite the beard, tache and brows.

MilkTrayLimeBarrel Wed 27-Feb-19 19:14:53

My eyesight is so bad I can't see them unless I use a magnifying mirror! The worst are the big toe hairs which I have to tackle before going for a pedicure!!

KatnissKringle Wed 27-Feb-19 19:20:58

I have chin hairs and I'm 31. Been getting a lip wax since I was 13. The joys of being very fair with very dark hair! On the plus side I have long, dark eyelashes so don't really need mascara which is about the only advantage as far as I can tell.

MrsKoala Wed 27-Feb-19 19:23:02

Wait till you get glasses and look in the mirror. Then you realise what everyone else is seeing shock

pigsDOfly Wed 27-Feb-19 19:39:19

One of my DDs rang me a while back almost in tears because she'd discovered a long black hair on her chin that no one had told her about.

She was horrified. People might have been looking at her thick black chin hair for weeks and not felt able to tell her.

It gets worse I'm afraid. I'm a lot older and I've just noticed I'm getting hairs around my nostrils.

I sit and pluck my chin and upper lip while I watch tv every evening. If I don't keep on top of it daily I will genuinely end up growing a beard.

Helpmytrousershavesplit Wed 27-Feb-19 19:45:31

Yup - got one long black one (my hair is naturally mousey reddish) growing above nipple. Realised I needed to pluck it when I can see it sticking out my bra cup.
Also have a random long pale hair growing from the side of one ear.
You know it's bad when you don't even need tweezers to pull it out shock

hotstepper4 Wed 27-Feb-19 19:50:04

I'm 36 and have had a single black hair on my jawline for a few years. Isn't getting older fun?!

TacoLover Wed 27-Feb-19 19:52:35

I've had all this facial hair since I was 14grin

Teacher22 Wed 27-Feb-19 19:54:31

I call mine my witch’s beard. It means I am wise and can jinx my enemies.

LesLavandes Wed 27-Feb-19 20:08:34

What about nasal hairs? So v painful to pluck😮

TheFrenchLieutenantsMonkey Wed 27-Feb-19 20:15:04

You're all making me smile with your precise counts of chinny fluff. I've had a goatee that spreads to my neck crease since I was 16. PCOS means that my hair now grows with thick, lustrous beauty on my face, down my lower back, my forearms but I have little hair on my legs and shave them about once every 6 months and the hair on my head is slowly depleting. My body is working the wrong way round hmm

19lottie82 Wed 27-Feb-19 20:16:49

grin I’ve had to pluck to my chin since my early twenties. It’s strangely satisfying, if I’m honest.

FangTasticBeast Wed 27-Feb-19 20:19:25

Message withdrawn.

WhiteDust Wed 27-Feb-19 20:20:39

One hair?! God I wish I were you...

FangTasticBeast Wed 27-Feb-19 20:20:43

He says it’s been a creepy pasta for a long time

Springwalk Wed 27-Feb-19 20:29:50

Tomorrow op you can wear your rash with pride, with a knowing smile and a wink you can pull it off as a night of passion.
Do you remember those days of kissing stubbled men for hours and the rash...
Nothing wrong with a renaissance op. All you need is bed hair ( not hard to achieve, just don’t brush it) and a twinkle in your 👀

LifeImplosionImminent Wed 27-Feb-19 20:30:02

@FangtasticBeast did you post that on the wrong thread or are you being a twat on purpose? - I hate that Momo thing and it really makes me want to track you down and beat the crap out of you cos I've been trying to avoid it on SM - I'm so fucking mad right now!!!!

Daddylonglegs1965 Wed 27-Feb-19 20:32:24

Wait until you get to 50 OP. I check in the bathroom mirror morning and night. One minute nothing there then all of a sudden a massive long course white or black hair or three is found jutting out.

helacells Wed 27-Feb-19 20:39:04

Lol I've been plucking since I was 20. Get ready, it gets much much worse

whitechocolatespaceegg Wed 27-Feb-19 20:39:25

You've done well to get to 42...
I noticed my first chin hair in my mind 20s. I now have to pluck every day and I was monthly (doesn't remove the thick hairs, just makes them easier to see). I tried counting them once and stopped when I got to 30.
Have just turned 42.

chilling19 Wed 27-Feb-19 20:49:08

Has anyone got a recommendation for a good lady shaver for eyebrows, top lip? Just looked on Amazon and there are so many!

SchadenfreudePersonified Wed 27-Feb-19 21:00:39

Here - I often get up in the morning and see Brian Blessed staring back at me from the bathroom mirror.

Think yourself lucky.

SchadenfreudePersonified Wed 27-Feb-19 21:02:57

Jesus FangTasticBeast

That's scared the bloody piss out of me!

Stumpted88 Wed 27-Feb-19 21:06:25

I found Charlie the chin hair when I was 22, I kept trying to brush a hair from my chin one day (I have always had past shoulder length hair).

Anyway finally I realised this random hair was actually attached to my chin, and was about 4 inches long. No idea where he popped up from. He definitely wasn’t there the day before and can only imagine he arrived because I was hosting my first dinner party.

Oh and yes I realised Charlie was there mid said dinner..

I quite miss him now, he got much thicker and bristled the more I plucked him out, but finally 9 years later he is gone.

Fuck his cousins that are sprouting else where though...

MrsMaisel Wed 27-Feb-19 21:11:46

I had lunch with a new friend whom i realised mid-meal had an inch long black hair jutting out of her chin. I was so taken aback, I lost track of the conversation. I went into a cognitive dissonance trance. Who was this person? Did she know about the hair? She must know about the hair! Why, why was she keeping it? What message was she trying to send everyone? I still shudder...

SmiledWithTheRisingSun Wed 27-Feb-19 21:16:58

Arrrrrgh also early 40's & it's a dark hair and light skin combo here too... I have them on my chin, cheeks, toes oh but it's the nipple ones that fuck me right off!

Was wondering about getting one if those Phillips lumeas - has anyone tried them?

MrsMaisel Wed 27-Feb-19 21:19:34

i did, burned like crazy - sold it on eBay and lost a couple of hundred quid in the process.

motherheroic Wed 27-Feb-19 21:20:04

I'm 26 and have several hairs on my chin and neck!

Happyinheels Wed 27-Feb-19 21:22:58

@Liketoshop no not at all but pull up a chair and let me tell you about all my real worries - my exh had an affair, my mum died, my DD started self harming and tried to commit suicide, I nearly had a nervous breakdown juggling trying to keep the kids on an even keel nevermind trying to cope with my own State of Mind. Throw in social services involvement due to a nightmare of an exh. That only covers the past 18 months. I could go on but really didn't want to over share but if you're offended by my extremely tongue in cheek, light hearted piss take out of myself then please find another thread that is of more interest.

ALannisterInDebt Wed 27-Feb-19 21:23:04

Chin whiskers and nipple whiskers appear at roughly the same age...good luck dear pass the gin

SmiledWithTheRisingSun Wed 27-Feb-19 21:23:49

Ooo going to get some nads nose hair wax!

Feliciaxxx Wed 27-Feb-19 21:39:48

Grippit - I have the same agreement with my daughter - if I'm ever in hospital unconscious or incapacitated, she will pluck my face and the one hair that grows out of my earlobe (WTAF!) and vice versa!

Frouby Wed 27-Feb-19 21:47:04

My face is good. 41 and no 'tache, never waxed it and so far no random hairs on it either.

I do however have 1 runaway pube that grows out of the back of my thigh, about halfway down. Think its a pube that fell down my leg one day.

Better than my chin though.

Sarahandco Wed 27-Feb-19 21:47:04

I read somewhere that women in Japan shave their faces with regular razors. I was shocked as my mum had always tried to scare me off shaving my legs by telling me that hairs would grow back thick and fast. I therefore grew up with this idea, however I read another article and it said that you could could shave your face with no ill effects and it also exfoliates too. So I tried it on my top lip and it has been fine - no stubbly re-growth or anything!

Wallywobbles Wed 27-Feb-19 21:49:11

My first couple of face hairs appeared in my teens I reckon.

Purplealienpuke Wed 27-Feb-19 22:06:51

Early menopause... alot less body hair (never had much underarm, don't shave very often). Alot of peach fuzz along my jaw line but no other strays.
But this thread (especially the GASH typo) has had me in hysterics. Thank you ladies!
And my utmost commiserations to any of you with PCOS 💐💐💐💐

NotStressedOut Wed 27-Feb-19 22:12:36

Good news. Get to your 60’s and they disappear.

manicmij Wed 27-Feb-19 22:30:20

Have you look at your nose, hairs do grow longer in there to. Make sure

Oliversmumsarmy Wed 27-Feb-19 23:30:19

Good news. Get to your 60’s and they disappear

Not looking likely, I am nearly there and still shave once per day if I am staying in. Twice per day if I need to go out in the evening and 3times per day if I am anywhere hot and humid

Catsinthecupboard Thu 28-Feb-19 03:46:24

Please be careful about plucking eyebrows bc at menopause they seem to thin drastically. I only "shaped" mine thankfully and they slowly stayed that way. But!

If i had done more than shaping, i would have bald eyes!

Hair is strange; that which we love thins and which we hate grows with abandon.

Add that I'm old (as is dh)so never did lady shaves/wax. Just neat trims...THAT hair thins too! What a horrid shock to realize the hair down there has moved up to my chin! Maybe a different perspective or relief about that for you young' uns...i'll not go into detail about other private sagging matters.blush

mishmisha Thu 28-Feb-19 04:42:53

I have extremely sensitive skin and have started using retinol, so waxing and creams would burn the top layer of my upper lip off. I found this and it's worked wonders :
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B001FXUTUM/ref=sspa_mw_detail_0?psc=1&tag=mumsnetforum-21&ie=UTF8
Hurt quite a bit (low pain threshold), probably similar to threading. But you can do this yourself and it isn't messy. I wipe it before and after with rubbing alcohol to clean it, and slather toner on my face afterwards. I'm middle eastern, and this has definitely led to a reduction in growth of upper lip hair. Would work for chin and cheeks as well.

PassTheGinPlease Thu 28-Feb-19 06:04:25

I have been plucking my chin and defuzzing my top lip since age 13. The wonders of PCOS.
I highly recommend threading, for your eyebrows as well.
Leaves you baby soft without feeling like Edward Scissorhands has given you a facial.

Amazonfromkent Thu 28-Feb-19 06:43:23

Two words. Grey pubes. You can't pluck those out. Or can you???

HerondaleDucks Thu 28-Feb-19 07:05:17

I have pcos, been pulling thick wirey nasty hairs out of my chin and neck since I was 19! They always seem to crop up in the same places

OnlineAlienator Thu 28-Feb-19 07:07:49

Mine started when i hit 30 -_-

anniehm Thu 28-Feb-19 07:37:10

Lucky you, by 40 this is normal. I'm very grateful to be blonde!!!!

anniehm Thu 28-Feb-19 07:39:43

Ps I get mine waxed every 6 weeks when I get my legs done, she doesn't charge me.

ginghamtablecloths Thu 28-Feb-19 09:36:37

I hate to report that when you hit 60 it gets worse! Tweezers are my best friend and I peer at my face every single morning, armed and at the ready to attack. Some of the hairs are barely noticeable but I can feel them, I know they are there. Strangely, no leg or arm hair.

Alsohuman Thu 28-Feb-19 09:40:03

Nothing changed when I hit 60, it’s just got harder to see the buggers so i’ve had to rely on feel. I’m having eye surgery in the next couple of weeks and think i’m going to have one hell of a shock.

MadauntofA Thu 28-Feb-19 10:42:24

My grandmother relied on DM to dewhisker her every week when she couldn't see well enough, and we have an unspoken agreement that this will continue down through the generations grin

MrsMozartMkII Thu 28-Feb-19 12:42:39

Not RTFT and really shouldn't laugh at the OP's opening post, but did. Sorry.

I got to early fifties before The Hairs! started, or was it only then that I noticed I wonder...

pigsDOfly Thu 28-Feb-19 15:04:12

Good news. Get to your 60's and they disappear.

Not in my experience they don't. I'm 70 and it's just getting worse and worse.

Only advantage is my underarm hair has almost disappeared.

IsSpringSprangedYet Thu 28-Feb-19 16:04:15

Thankfully I have no stray hairs on my face. But i have three fine white hairs that grow out of my neck regularly, and probably 6 times in my whole life, i've had a really long one grow out between my boobs.

I also have a small patch in my hair, near the crown, where lots of little wiry thick black hairs grow. They stick up and are tougher than pubes. So weird. And I have lots of greys growing in gangs amongst my normal hair. 😣😣😣

I'm 35.

ThanksForAllTheFish Thu 28-Feb-19 16:29:35

I have a mole on my jaw line (quite close to my ear) that produces a nice wirey gingery brown hair. I don’t pluck it but every so often I cut it off with nail scissors. I also get a few of the same type of hairs cropping up on my nipples from time to time and they do get plucked.

millythepink Thu 28-Feb-19 21:28:24

No tash or goatee as yet. However, to compensate my pant beard has gone berserk. I am so hairy from my navel down to my toes. I look like Mr FuckingTumnus.

SadSongsAndWaltzes Thu 28-Feb-19 21:37:29

I'm 34 and have been able to grow a handlebar mustache and full beard for at least 10 years now. Started waxing my top lip in secondary school. Thanks genes grin

Ferrisbuellersdayoff Fri 01-Mar-19 08:42:58

I have had two or three long, thick hairs on my boobies since I was 30.

Sneakyisbest Fri 01-Mar-19 08:44:15

I think we are missing a trick here, we could kill two sagging boobs birds with one stone.

We could all braid the nipple and chin hairs together = no need for a bra grin

AwdBovril Fri 01-Mar-19 08:53:05

Facial hair is the only reason I bothered keeping my Lumea. The leg hair was just too time consuming so TBH I just wear trousers! Chin hair... plucked daily. Think I found my first chin hair in my late teens. I'm definitely a yeti. The only place I don't have any is my top lip!

PissOffPeppa Fri 01-Mar-19 14:31:56

I got my first chin hair when I was 17. It wasn’t a shock since I’d had a moustache since I was 10

WhatHaveIFound Fri 01-Mar-19 14:42:52

I get them often so I check every single day week or so. All plucked out.

More concerning this week is that i found my first ever GREY pube. That must be a sign that i'm getting old!!!

NannyKasey Sat 16-Mar-19 16:23:39

On the recommendation of my DM, I bought a JML Flawless Facial Hair remover yesterday. I have a completely hairless chin for the first time since the menopause kicked in about 4 years ago. £20 well spent in my book

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »