Talk

Advanced search

To ask if you can be a self-employed fundraiser

(3 Posts)
MamaSharkDooDooDooDooDooDooo Tue 26-Feb-19 20:43:59

This is a weird one... I'd love to work as a fundraiser but I'm currently unemployable as I have no work experience as a fundraiser (only in retail management). I have hosted a few, small voluntary fundraising events and can continue to do so, but need a job and if I can combine the two, that would be handy. Obviously I don't want to deprive a charity so could work on commission, like 10%? But I don't know if this is a done thing...? I can't find anything online...

HK20 Tue 26-Feb-19 20:45:19

Loads of charities employ fundraisers on a commission basis if that's any good.
Check out Indeed and look at charities like St John Ambulance.

mindutopia Tue 26-Feb-19 21:09:34

Yes, I have a friend who does consulting for charities around fundraising. The thing is though that they will genuinely want people who are quite experienced. Running a few small fundraisers probably won’t cut it. But you would be much more attractive if you sought out employment in charity work, did a few years working for someone else to demonstrate your experience, and then went self employed. Also a good time to build up your business skills because running a business is a lot of work and you’d benefit from knowing how to draw up business plans, do accounts, etc., things you’d gain some insight on working for someone else.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: