Talk

Advanced search

To ask how you know you're in early labour?

(20 Posts)
Ivehadthisnamemostofmylife Tue 26-Feb-19 20:41:59

Not a TAAT but definitely inspired by one I've read this week.

I'm 40 weeks pregnant, have had a sweep today and 2cm dilated and booked in to be induced Friday due to drastic increase in blood pressure. Since the sweep I've been getting irregular pains in my back alongside tightenings, approx every 30-45 minutes, lasting 30secs to nearly 2mins. Is this early labour or just irregular contractions from the sweep? How did you know you were in early labour?

Been awake since 4.30am and torn between trying to get a couple of hours kip in case or be active to try and help things along. Would prefer to go before being induced!!!

Fiveredbricks Tue 26-Feb-19 20:49:33

You'll know in a few hours if it is. Get a warm bath (not hot) and if they don't die down then keep timing them and call your midwife for what length of contraction they want before you go in.

Fiveredbricks Tue 26-Feb-19 20:49:51

I wou

Fiveredbricks Tue 26-Feb-19 20:50:43

Bloody phone! I would just get it moving tbh, you probably wont sleep. Do you have a birthing ball you can sit on and do hip swirls for a while?

Ohnonotuagain Tue 26-Feb-19 20:51:54

In your position I would try to get some sleep, especially as you've been up since early. If this is the beginnings of labour you'll need your energy later on.

EyeDrops Tue 26-Feb-19 21:00:32

I'd try to rest - if labour is truly starting then it'll wake you up later on anyway, and you can get things moving more then.

Ivehadthisnamemostofmylife Tue 26-Feb-19 21:11:27

Think I might try to sleep, I'm rubbish when I put myself under pressure to sleep though 😂 like, if I go to sleep now I can get 5 hours in etc. Bath first sounds good though. Really hoping this is the beginning!!

Merename Tue 26-Feb-19 21:16:00

Oh definitely try and sleep. I know it’s hard and you’ll be excited, but it’s possible this will go on for several days. Hopefully not, but honestly you will know when it’s really happening and that’s the time to keep active as much as possible. Good luck!!

Ohnonotuagain Tue 26-Feb-19 21:27:55

Even if you dont sleep sleep, just resting and closing your eyes is almost as good in terms of building up energy again. Good luck.

Biancadelrioisback Tue 26-Feb-19 21:32:31

It felt like period cramp in lower back. That's all I kept saying the day before I had DS

Ispywithmycynicaleye Tue 26-Feb-19 21:40:18

My labour with my DD started with achy pains in my back that would come and go. I'd been in pain for hours before I realised it was early labour pains and by that time they were every 20 minutes apart. That's when I phoned the hospital and they told me to go in. Aww so excited for you!!

Neverender Tue 26-Feb-19 21:48:37

Go to bed! I was in labour for 5 days!!!

MrsPworkingmummy Tue 26-Feb-19 21:48:42

My early labour started with sharp, period-like cramping pains in the front of my stomach and the middle of my lower back, which gradually came faster and faster. My mucas plug then came away.
I've been really lucky to have two amazing labours - my last of which was only 93 minutes in total. I found a quick warm bath helpful at the start. If the pains don't go at that point, you're more than likely in labour. I then put a tens machine on my back which was incredibly helpful both times.

Ivehadthisnamemostofmylife Wed 27-Feb-19 10:31:14

Nothing happening any more ☹ but did manage to sleep for 10 hours last night so feeling nice and refreshed for when it does happen now 😂. Thanks everyone, was convinced it was the beginning but looks like I'll be waiting until Friday...

Ohnonotuagain Wed 27-Feb-19 10:46:26

You never know! Things could get started on their own. Positive thinking!!

PerryPerryThePlatypus Wed 27-Feb-19 10:50:07

If you can try and have a bit of a walk today, sometimes it takes a bit of a trial run before it gets going.

crispysausagerolls Wed 27-Feb-19 10:50:49

It is very frustrating when you’ve had a sweep, especially as you are 2cm, because you will be very optimistic and get your hopes up - I was in the same situation! I hope for your sake things progress alone, you have a 48 hour window where they may do so 🤞🏻

Merename Wed 27-Feb-19 10:52:23

Awww. I was in early labour like you describe for a week with my second, about to be induced 2 wks over and then it was suddenly properly happening, and done and dusted in 2hrs. Agree try to think positively and that any tightening etc is all your body getting ready for the big event and maybe it’ll be quicker as you’re doing some of the work now!

Ivehadthisnamemostofmylife Wed 27-Feb-19 11:31:28

I am staying positive, still hoping she comes on her own before Friday, spent the morning doing cleaning and going to go for a walk after the midwife has been smile

crispysausagerolls Wed 27-Feb-19 17:10:32

🤞🏻

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »