Talk

Advanced search

My adult dd drives me mad !!

(15 Posts)
screamifyouwant Tue 26-Feb-19 19:19:44

Love her to bits but ffs
Constantly leaves heating on when it's not cold
Constantly washing clothes
I've come home tonight and her wet trainers that's she's washed again in the machine . She used all my washing tablets .
Bath mat and towels on floor .
I love her but god I feel like killing her sometimes.
She's at uni early 20's , I'm constantly moaning at her and it's pissing me off .
I'm going to make her buy me some new washing tablets .
I probably should be glad that she likes to be so clean but seriously envy

huntinghighandlow Tue 26-Feb-19 19:27:44

My youngest daughter wears stuff for days on end but my eldest was always washing clothes especially at night when I would just be dropping off and the fast spin cycle would start! When I go round to her house now either the washing machine is on or there's clothes drying all over the place !!

Vulpine Tue 26-Feb-19 19:29:15

She's at uni and still at home? That's a bit annoying

huntinghighandlow Tue 26-Feb-19 19:32:09

Also, the 6am showers before work then rampaging around the house opening and shutting doors! She didn't leave home till she was 28, it's so peaceful now grin

llangennith Tue 26-Feb-19 19:35:18

Lots of DC at Uni live at home these days. Not anybody's choice but better that than be saddled with thousands of £ debt for years to come.
All these things are annoying and you have to set ground rules but just remember, it won't be forever. And you'll actually miss her when she does move out. Maybe not immediately though😄

screamifyouwant Tue 26-Feb-19 19:37:14

@Vulpine
She move out couldn't afford to all the washing she does grin
@huntinghighandlow I hope it's not another 8 years shock

screamifyouwant Tue 26-Feb-19 19:39:13

I've tried to set rules but she just goes ok humouring me I think .
I know it's petty but I'm thinking shall I hide my washing tablets hmm

VioletCharlotte Tue 26-Feb-19 19:46:59

Can you ask her to contribute a small amount towards the weekly shop to cover stuff like washing tablets? Assume she gets a maintenance loan? She'd have to buy all this stuff herself if she lived in student accommodation.

BlimeyCalmDown Tue 26-Feb-19 20:02:05

I've decided to give up on all that with mine (although only back in the hols) as this will be the last year or so I will likely have her back with me so want to focus on making positive memories with her before she disappears being too busy with her own life. I'm seeing this as the building blocks of our future adult relationship, the nagging was just making everything so negative and actually made her do less. Plus she does have the skills as she is apparently the tidy one shock in her student house share....

Springwalk Tue 26-Feb-19 20:07:34

Better to have a clean dd than one with hygiene problems smile

screamifyouwant Tue 26-Feb-19 20:13:04

@VioletCharlotte
I think the contribution is a good idea , my utility bills have gone up . She needs to understand that these things cost money .

Imperfectsusan Tue 26-Feb-19 20:18:02

Brace yourself for a disagreement! They don't always like to be asked to contribute. My DC didn't, but was fine with it after a few weeks and forgot we discussed it not long afterwards.

flimbo1212 Tue 26-Feb-19 22:02:00

Oh god.

My daughter when she was 24 - when she used to come home for holidays from Uni, her bodyclock completely different to ours

she would be getting up out of bed, as i was getting in from work at 6pm. she wouldnt want to eat with us as it was breakfast time for her....It was a real problem as I am a very light sleeper, and she would be in and out of the bathroom and toilet all night, she would be doing her thing during the night, washing, cooking - I would come down the next morning to all her pots in the kitchen and grease splattered up the wall.....and they would still be there when I got home from work, preventing me from cooking for the rest of us...and she had been in bed all day

Urgh

Glad those days are over

screamifyouwant Wed 27-Feb-19 08:29:26

The contribution was agreed and she will buy me some washing tablets grin

huntinghighandlow Fri 01-Mar-19 11:49:08

Great 👍🏻

My daughter only stayed that long as she was saving for a house deposit. She's her fiancé's problem now 😂

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »