Talk

Advanced search

9yr old watching 15 & 18 cert films

(6 Posts)
farmerswifey33 Tue 26-Feb-19 17:43:59

AIBU to talk to the mum of my sons best friend about this? He’s watched 12A films from a very young age (5) and school have contacted them saying he’s told them he’s watched stuff he shouldn’t.
He’s round for a play date and has told me about 2 films he’s watched with his dad. I questioned him on both, he’s clearly watched them 😕
He told me his mum said not to tell anyone but he’s told me. Can they get into trouble for this? They are a lovely family and he’s a very sensible lad but I still feel like this is inappropriate.
I don’t know, maybe I am BU for thinking of saying anything 😕

oilLovesChuck Tue 26-Feb-19 17:50:12

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

ShawshanksRedemption Tue 26-Feb-19 17:50:44

What do want to achieve from talking to mum? She knows it happens and she lets him do it, and I think she'll feel you are judging her over it. I don't feel it would end well. If you are not bothered about staying one friendly terms, then go ahead.

Alternatively you could just let the school know if you are concerned about it, particularly as mum told him not to say anything about it. Asking her son to lie is very unfair and makes me worry over what else she might ask him to lie about.

Bananasarenottheonlyfruit Tue 26-Feb-19 17:57:21

Ratings are intended for public viewings like the cinema. Parents are free to make any judgement they like about the suitability for their own kids in their home. She probably asked him to keep quiet to try and avoid the hoiking of judgy pants.

I wouldn’t let my 9 year old watch an 18, but he has watched a couple of 15s such as Gremlins.

Bellatrix14 Tue 26-Feb-19 18:05:18

I think the only slightly ‘off’ thing about this really is that she has (supposedly) told him not to tell people. She’s not done anything illegal or even really ‘wrong’, so it makes it sound far more sinister to tell him not to tell people. Age ratings are a guideline more than a rule to be enforced in the home. As long as he’s not upset by what he’s watched then it’s not really any of your business, and I say that in the nicest way possible!

As for the 12A, he’d be allowed to watch those at age 5 in a cinema if he had an adult with him, so I really wouldn’t worry about that! smile

Takethebuscuitandthesink Tue 26-Feb-19 18:08:24

I agree this is poor parenting but this really isn’t any of your business maybe just focus on your own child.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: