Talk

Advanced search

To ask climate change deniers to explain this?

(14 Posts)
Babysharkdoodoodoodo Tue 26-Feb-19 15:39:17

Washing on line in February and dry in 2 hours. Had to go out in a t-shirt today as it was so warm. 18 degrees in the Midlands!

This time last year it was nearly time for the Beast from the East. Now it's sunglasses time.

HeathRobinson Tue 26-Feb-19 15:47:29

It's March coming in like a lamb. wink

Pinkginxx Tue 26-Feb-19 15:48:35

I’m not a climate change denier. However what you have posted is a picture of the weather. Just as the snow this time last year was also weather and didn’t disprove climate change.
Weather-climate, 2 different things.

FallenMadonnawiththeBadBoobies Tue 26-Feb-19 15:58:55

It’s 20 degrees here is sunny Surrey. I sowed some seeds in a heated propogator in my greenhouse a few days ago and they are already popping their heads up. A little different to thus time last year!

Drogosnextwife Tue 26-Feb-19 16:24:50

Yeah it will prob at be snowing in a weeks time, I wouldn't get my knickers in a twist over it.

themoomoo Tue 26-Feb-19 16:31:09

Do you not know the difference between weather and climate?

themoomoo Tue 26-Feb-19 16:32:39

and this time last year it was -16 and 80 mph winds

babysharkah Tue 26-Feb-19 16:36:15

March coming in like a lamb indeed.

lubeybooby Tue 26-Feb-19 16:37:57

I'm not remotely a climate change denier but the current weather is caused mostly by luck with the jet stream, influenced by a complicated set of conditions

posted this earlier somewhere but it sums it up quite well

"Just a note that while global climate change is very real, and a massive problem now and more so in the future, there are natural fluctuations that cause/ contribute to this kind of thing. My worry is that if the advocates for the universal recognition of man-made climate change as the enormous disaster that it is, get too attached to this kind of "mini-heatwave" as our evidence, then the next time we experience a longer cold-snap, we'll get even more of the "WhErE's yOuR gLoBaL wArMiNg gOt to nOw tReEhUgGeRs?" shtick

In fact, there is evidence that climate change may actually cause a mini ice-age in the UK due to a weakening of the gulf stream.

Don't use this to convince people of man-made climate change, because there's a lot more to it and you'll be weakening your position."

MulticolourMophead Tue 26-Feb-19 16:38:40

We get odd bouts of weather now and again. Nothing new.

I remember snow in June many years ago.

FallenMadonnawiththeBadBoobies Tue 26-Feb-19 16:39:17

Yes, I understand the difference between weather and climate, but the climate of the UK is warming up, isn’t it? There has been a trend towards warmer winters and hotter summers. Surely no-one is denying that.

DGRossetti Tue 26-Feb-19 16:50:45

Yes, I understand the difference between weather and climate, but the climate of the UK is warming up, isn’t it? There has been a trend towards warmer winters and hotter summers.

Climate is measured over centuries, not episodes of EastEnders.

Surely no-one is denying that

Almost by definition climate changes. After all the ice age has gone (I know we are technically interglacial ...).

The big question(s) are (a) is mankind responsible ?, and (b) what can be done ?

MuseumofInnocence Tue 26-Feb-19 16:59:50

Climate is measured over centuries, not episodes of EastEnders.

Whereas that may have been the case, we can certainly talk now about climate in terms of decades as the rate of change is unprecedented.

The big question(s) are (a) is mankind responsible ?, and (b) what can be done ?

No, your first question is really not a question that any scientist is seriously asking.

FallenMadonnawiththeBadBoobies Tue 26-Feb-19 17:00:23

Did you mean to be so rude DGRossetti? My understanding is that climate change is measured over a period of decades (30 years or so) as opposed to centuries, but I’m not an expert.

I know that climate changes - I prefer documentaries to East Enders, as it happens - and I’m of the view that man is changing the climate and will ultimately regret it.

Unfortunately, I doubt very much can be done about it as the economy is based on continual growth.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »