Advanced search

Need to make a serious complaint about softplay who would i contact??

(95 Posts)
Mummy1111 Tue 26-Feb-19 15:03:13

On sunday past i had my two little ones at softplay (5yrs and 2yrs) we go to softplays regularly but was first time to this one as it was newly opened. We were in about 20mins and my little one had went up to top of climbing part i heard a scream and cry like hes never done before and instantly within few seconds i was at top of where he was there was a member of staff there she said aw think may have got a freight or hurt himself. His foot was stuck on net and i got him out. I didnt speak to her i just took him down in a panic i then realised he wouldnt stand or put pressure on his legs. Within minutes where more staff over at us i asked the girl who had spoken before adter i seen her walking over with another staff member and i said so ehat exactly happened ehat did he get his foot stuck on??? There was no first aider, no incident report no nothing my partner stayed there to make there way home i went right to hospital. Turns out my little one has damage to his ankle and has broken his shin from under knee to bottom of leg he is now in a full leg cast.
The staff didnt contact us, i phoned today to be told no forms where done they didnt even have note of his name and that obviously staff didnt follow guidelines but theres also a problem with a language barrier from the girl who helped him as aparently doesnt speak greatest english? But was able to tell me his leg was caught on net and she got him out???then back tracked.
He has this on upto 8weeks and if didnt heal could need surgery.
Who can i contact and is there anything i can do???

Farmerswifey12 Tue 26-Feb-19 15:06:06

Your poor son! Not sure who to contact so I'd probably phone citizens advice and see if they can point you in the right direction

madvixen Tue 26-Feb-19 15:08:13

Oh your poor wee boy. I'd contact the HSE, especially as no accident form was completed

HennaLights Tue 26-Feb-19 15:08:25

Contact the local council for advice, they should signpost you to the local Environmental Health Department, who will investigate.

OwlinaTree Tue 26-Feb-19 15:08:31

Health and safety? A quick Google seems to suggest local authority environmental health department. Hope your son feels better soon.

dementedpixie Tue 26-Feb-19 15:08:44

I'm not detracting from what happened but was your 2 year old in an age appropriate section? At that age I wouldn't let them on big soft play equipment unsupervised. I don't know who you would complain to

Meralia Tue 26-Feb-19 15:09:58

This is appalling! Is it a chain with a head office, or an independent soft play?

Was the worker with your son when this injury happened? Do you know for definite what actually happened? As you said the worker changed the events as she recalled them?

They should have had training in what happens with accidents/ incidents. This definitely needs investigating and taking further! I’m shocked it’s been managed so poorly!

It’s all very dodgy. I’m not sure who you’d contact, but I hope your son has a quick recovery and isn’t in to much pain.

PlainSpeakingStraightTalking Tue 26-Feb-19 15:10:34

(a) follow the soft plays complaints procedure
(b) go to the local council H&S
(c) take advice from the Health and Safety Executive (HSE)

Good luck in going up the CAB route - they never answer their phone or have appointments IMHO

Whereisthegin1978 Tue 26-Feb-19 15:16:45

I think you need to contact your local council H&S felt. My daughter slipped and broke her arm age 3 - it wasn’t their fault, she just tripped on the way up to the next level. We didn’t realise it was broken until we got home but I did contact them to tell them and they were keen to fill out an accident report form - it seems as though there has been some oversight in their training. I hope your son is better soon.

AmIRightOrAMeringue Tue 26-Feb-19 15:19:22

Given it resulted in a hospital stay I'd contact the HSE

Write down exactly what you can remember and keep all medical reports and take photographs. Ask anyone else that was with you at the time to do the same

I'd also maybe contact a solicitor if you want to pursue compensation

However you will have less of a case if there are signs up saying you need to supervise or join your child on equipment, or if he was in the wrong age area

NWQM Tue 26-Feb-19 15:21:44

I’d say from their Health and Safey Executive website it’s not them but the Local Authority....

They do however have an on line form so wouldn’t take you long at all to report and they can channel.

I’d ring my local authority call centre.

I’d also email them and ask them to confirm that they did not do an accident report etc and ask if they investigating what happened.

If the area is advertised as being safe for 2 year old I’d ask them to clarify if they have modified the area so no-one else gets hurt or have they relabelled it. A) because I’d want to make sure no-one else did & B) be interesting that they have felt the need.

Please do report

WFTisgoingoninmyhead Tue 26-Feb-19 15:22:24

That is some serious injury for a little boy who only got his foot caught in netting, I would most definitely take this further. It is quite unacceptable to not have noted down the injury at the time and filled in the accident book.

NWQM Tue 26-Feb-19 15:23:06

P.s do they CCTV? Act quickly if so to see it otherwise footage could disappear

Stormwhale Tue 26-Feb-19 15:25:06

The part I would want absolute clarity on was if she tried to pull him out. It sounds like she could have worsened his injury which needs looking into.

Mummy1111 Tue 26-Feb-19 15:28:20

Hi everyone, it haf no other equipment on it other than the soft mats there was nothing else there, if his foot was caught on the net then the whole are is made of that so thats why i was more unsure. I have been trying all day to citizens advice direct 40 odd minutes each time and keep getting cut off. Just wanted to speak to someone before speaking to them again to know how to go forward etc. As they said i coukd go in and sign an accident form now, i said i wouldnt be signing anything.??

GreenFingersWouldBeHandy Tue 26-Feb-19 15:33:13

Go in and ask for a photocopy of the form, and make sure you speak to the manager but do not sign anything. See what they have put as the cause of accident. You also need to update them on what happened at the hospital. Definitely report to HSE; they should have a first aider on site and proper protocol in place.

Hope your little lad is feeling better today; that's awful.

The soft play does not sound safe at all!

OneStepSideways Tue 26-Feb-19 15:34:44

I hope his leg heals quickly.

But honestly, I think you need to closely supervise a 2 year old in softplay, particularly on high equipment or netting. Most places have notices up saying parents are responsible for their child's safety.

Unless they have CCTV footage that shows the member of staff doing something wrong (eg pulling him when his foot was stuck) or the equipment is found to be unsafe/faulty, I'm not sure what could come of a complaint? Accidents happen, children do get stuck on play equipment or fall and land awkwardly, or bump into each other. It's possible nobody saw exactly what happened, and unless you were witnessed it I think it's unfair to blame the staff. They can't supervise all the kids at once and it sounds like she did her best to help/comfort him in your absence.

Jessbow Tue 26-Feb-19 15:36:36

Did the play centre know that he was seriously hurt?
Kids must have tumbles/falls/ accidents all the time in an environment like that.
Did they really realise he was that badly injured, and thus should have filled in an accident form?

FlibbertyGiblets Tue 26-Feb-19 15:37:29

Iirc there is no requirement for a first aider for centre users like OP's child (there will be a first aider but for staff only).

madvixen Tue 26-Feb-19 15:38:25

Green, weirdly there is no legal requirement to have first aiders in a premises. They just have to ensure that they have adequate plans in place in the event of an accident.

There is however a legal requirement under RIDDOR for any accident, where the injured party goes straight to hospital, to be notified to the HSE.

OP, try giving the HSE number a call

Doyoumind Tue 26-Feb-19 15:40:59

I think some people are missing the point. Legally, there has to be a process in place for dealing with and recording accidents. Clearly this venue did not have the correct measures in place.

Jessbow Tue 26-Feb-19 15:42:01

And you may find that there is a big notice somewhere saying children play at your own risk

babysharkah Tue 26-Feb-19 15:44:19

What do you want from this? Two year olds shouldn't be at the top of soft play, if he was bigger his foot woudn't have got caught.

madvixen Tue 26-Feb-19 15:44:35

Jess, that doesn't remove their legal requirements though.

Shelbybear Tue 26-Feb-19 15:47:10

That is awful. You should definitely complain. They should always have a first aider on duty. Basic health and safety rules broken there surely.

After an accident at soft play recently I asked for the first aider who attended and gave us some ice packs and a bandage to put on right away and we went to hospital. We also filled out forms and they called later to see how she was.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »