Talk

Advanced search

Computer based homework

(12 Posts)
SleepingStandingUp Tue 26-Feb-19 14:12:44

School have introduced an IT program where the kids can log in and do different topics, puzzles, maths, etc.
We've been told they may come home with homework to do on it.
Obviously anyone without access to the Internet through a computer / tablet would need to speak to the school. We're in quite a poor area so not unreasonable to think not everyone will although we have a local library.

But it just seems so... Unnecessary!! What's wrong with pencils and pens and workbooks!!

Especially as this is for nursery age, DS and his class mates are 3-4. Start reception September and this platform will be used all the way through

VelvetPineapple Tue 26-Feb-19 14:15:06

In my school it was because we didn’t have the budget to pay for printed worksheets or workbooks. Teachers had to mark work on the screen because we couldn’t afford to print it out.

Sirzy Tue 26-Feb-19 14:15:34

Online activities like this do help engage a lot of young people though.

As they have said homework “may” be used via this then that doesn’t suggest it will replace pencils and pens (hopefully will replace workbooks though!) but just provide an alternative sometimes

Kolo Tue 26-Feb-19 14:24:04

I could go on and on about the advantages IT based activities have over paper, pen and workbook. Often cheaper in the long run, better engagement, some are ‘intelligent’ in that they can pick up areas of weakness based on prior answers, so can tailor support/work to each child during a task. The possible graphics are obviously much better than a workbook, it caters to different learning styles much better than a workbook. Also workbooks and pencils get lost easily. There are some really excellent online resources these days, which couldn’t possibly be recreated by paper and pencil.

Also, it’s incredible the percentage of people who do have access to internet/apps. I worked for 14years in catchment if one of the most deprived areas in England. We did a survey of IT access to work out whether we could more to more IT based resources for hwk, and it was a tiny proportion who didn’t have it at home. Really surprised me at the time.

But homework at that age shock.

whasoaw1 Tue 26-Feb-19 14:31:39

The thing is it's VERY important for them to be familiar with computers these days. It's the future whether we like it or not. They're going to need IT skills as adult if they want to survive in the world. I do agree with your sympathy for poorer families. Not everyone has the money for a computer and the WiFi bill. They should provide access for them to do homework on school grounds.

SleepingStandingUp Tue 26-Feb-19 15:05:40

Thanks, I think I'm just being miserable as he's 3, he rarely is allowed on my tablet and now he'll be expected to do some work each week on it.
Actually justogged on, things like pick the tallest quizzes, match the shape puzzles which seems quite basic but obviously will mean he can practise his mouse skills as the questions are easy.

But homework at that age shock. they have weekly homework challenges, normally making something or finding out about something, drawing or baking. Plus a book to "read" ("" because DS can't read yet, he just runs. His ginger laing in time)

Fatasfook Tue 26-Feb-19 15:08:13

There are plenty of studies that prove that screen time can be harmful for young children, you are within your rights to refuse to do this homework. I did.
Yes, it’s important that children are taught IT skills but not at such a young age.

Sirzy Tue 26-Feb-19 15:10:53

here are plenty of studies that prove that screen time can be harmful for young children

Are there? I did my dissertation on the use of technology in young children a few years back and most of the evidence was either inconclusive or suggested that the right sort of screen time could actually be beneficial to development.

CostanzaG Tue 26-Feb-19 15:12:07

Fatasfook
The evidence doesn't quite say that. There are many, many benefits as outlined above.

PlainSpeakingStraightTalking Tue 26-Feb-19 15:13:23

But it just seems so... Unnecessary!! What's wrong with pencils and pens and workbooks!! ...... and probably the same was said about slate and chalk.

I'll tell you whats wrong with work books!! paper = chopping down trees.

Society moves on - IT is the way forward. It is the future.

SleepingStandingUp Tue 26-Feb-19 15:14:54

Meh, she'd know I was being a hypocritical cow considering DS has a PJ Mask obsession and adores Numberblocks.

I just feel weird about him practising his computer skills I guess. I was born in the early 80's, we had a few big old computers in primary that we could do really basic stuff on, and then IT in secondary school started off really basic.

SleepingStandingUp Tue 26-Feb-19 15:16:10

and probably the same was said about slate and chalk
Haha. Very true. Actually M made a similar comment the other day re how far something like writing has come on.

When the apocalypse comes and we lose all electricity thryre gonna be bloody lost though!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »