Talk

Advanced search

To ask for surgery recovery tips for toddler

(7 Posts)
egglets Tue 26-Feb-19 13:37:25

Our dc is having to have surgery in a matter of weeks for grommets and having both adenoids and tonsils removed at the same time.

Any tips on how to keep a 2 year old happy following this? I'm assuming it will be bad for the first week if anyone has experience of this?

So far my list is:
Calpol
Ibuprofen
A few new toys/games
New books
Download some films on the iPad
Ice cream

Any tips would be appreciated smile

PlainSpeakingStraightTalking Tue 26-Feb-19 13:39:56

Ask the consultant what medications are recommended?

FWIW my DC didnt have any affects and was up and about as normal.

YouWinAgain Tue 26-Feb-19 13:41:34

My 3 year old had grommets in September.

The thing that worked best with her was a hot water bottle. Her ears where painful for a week or so afterwards so between calpol doses I would fill a hot water bottle put it in a cover (she has an elephant one) and then she'd lie on that.

The cbeebies apps are also quite good for the ipad/tablet wink

DownRightAmazing Tue 26-Feb-19 13:43:27

My two year old was only in pain for around the first 12hrs. And tbh most of that was related to hunger after being nil by mouth.

elliejjtiny Tue 26-Feb-19 13:48:10

I've got lots of experience of surgery with toddlers. You will need calpol, ibuprofen, favourite food and drink (eating and drinking will be a bit sore at first so they might need encouragement). They recover surprisingly quickly at this age and with good pain relief they will probably want to play as normal. It's also normal for them to be more clingy, have sleep regression and toilet accidents because of the trauma. It's all normal and will pass in a few weeks.

Dizzylin Tue 26-Feb-19 13:54:48

My 3 yo DS has had a failed grommet op (his ear drums were perforated so they couldn't do it) and a separate op to have his Adenoids out, on both occasions, by the next day you wouldn't have known anything had happened.

Hope all goes ok.

MiniCooperLover Tue 26-Feb-19 16:31:30

My DS has this at 3, he was absolutely fine after the first night, I was so impressed. We kept him dosed up on paracetamol but he coped really well.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »