Talk

Advanced search

40th birthday special treat

(10 Posts)
datahackname Tue 26-Feb-19 12:28:15

Posting here for traffic.

I'm after ideas for my 40th bday in June. Currently TTC just for info. Not up for a big party or anything, looking for something for just me and DH to do together. I've had a bit of a stressful/difficult time the last 5 years and so I'm definitely after something to treat myself and that feels like a special treat. I love the sun, and also culture, good food etc. I'm not used to treating myself or splashing out and so I'm completely stuck for ideas!

I am lucky enough to have a reasonable amount saved up to spend on this so could be a few days away / abroad etc. We could both take some annual leave if it required.

What did you do and is there anywhere specific you'd recommend?

0rangeB0ttle Tue 26-Feb-19 12:47:29

One year I suggested a holiday with a sea view. So found a self catering place on a cliff overlooking the sea in Devon/Cornwall. It was lovely to watch the fishing boats. We went out to visit different places during the week. Another year I suggested going to an island with some friends for a few days, we had a lovely holiday. So I guess you need to decide; with friends, countryside or city break ?

E20mom Tue 26-Feb-19 13:07:05

I'd go to Rome. Great for a short city break, great food and drink and lots to see.

MinnieMountain Tue 26-Feb-19 13:23:12

DH and I went to Rome for my 40th in December. It was wonderful seeing all the ancient places and eating delicious food.

A friend went to Edinburgh and saw a show she'd always wanted to see with her DH.

datahackname Tue 26-Feb-19 13:29:16

Orange definitely not with friends, definitely just me and DH and very much a "looking after me" vibe.

datahackname Tue 26-Feb-19 13:29:39

Rome sounds lovely!

Nomad86 Tue 26-Feb-19 13:39:38

Given you could be in the first trimester and suffering with morning sickness etc, I'd opt for somewhere relaxing, maybe South of France or Italy. Somewhere with sun and good food. Provence is beautiful at that time of year, with the lavender fields in season.

AskingQuestionsAllTheTime Tue 26-Feb-19 13:55:12

If I'd had the money and a birthday in June I would have gone to see the midnight sun for a fortieth birthday treat. The culture would have to be the Sami culture, though, because that is what there is in the Arctic Circle: it is their country up there, whether it is called Norway or Sweden or Finland on the map.

I got to Finland twenty years later and did see the midnight sun there...

Everyone in Finland seems to speak better English than I do, and the scenery is purely amazing once you get north of the bits that are nothing but trees.

You can fly to Inari (the furthest north airport in Europe) from Gatwick by Finnair, and Inari is wonderful: Lake Inari is gorgeous, there is the Sami museum where I easily spent a whole day and could have spent longer if we'd had time, you can pan for gold in a local river (it is where the Finnish gold-rush happened) or go canoeing or just wander looking at reindeer. I liked the food, though I am not sure how haute cuisine it is.

Inari the area is 6,692 square miles -- 5,811 land and 880 water -- with a population of 6,865, so it isn't exactly crowded; if you want people and bustle it isn't going to be for you.

I am getting the envy.

0rangeB0ttle Tue 26-Feb-19 14:38:40

I've enjoyed weekend breaks to Amsterdam, Copenhagen, I like museums / art galleries and markets. For a week I've been to Marrakesh with amazing market, Iceland for thermal pools & landscapes, UK shepherds hut with shooting stars, Canaries etc Depends if you want all inclusive or self cater. Our weekend in summer in Dorset in shephers hut was memorable

Jengnr Tue 26-Feb-19 14:43:47

I went to Rome for mine last year and it was awesome.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: