Talk

Advanced search

to think the n.h.s is going to ruin for things like this

(97 Posts)
diabeticsanon Tue 26-Feb-19 11:03:25

dm was in hospital and when she left was transported back with two hospital blankets. i took them back to the ward a week later and one auxillary said 'oh, give it to the nurse over there, but you could have kept them or thrown them away'. the other nurse looked at me as if i'd given him a bag of dog shit and put them on the side without a word of thanks confused.
mum also has put out two perfectly good walking frames [without my knowledge] for council bulk collection. her excuse ? wouldn't give me one.
so much money and resources are drained from the n.h.s.every day it's stupid things like this that aren't helping anyone.

Dungeondragon15 Tue 26-Feb-19 12:35:26

I don’t think sending blankets back would save the nhs I just think it is really wasteful, they will have to replace every blanket sent home,’any of those blankets will just end up in landfill somewhere.

Wouldn't you keep them and reuse them yourself though? I would. It seems a bit bizarre that you are blaming the NHS for being wastful when you would through a perfectly good blanket in the bin.

Cerealkillers Tue 26-Feb-19 12:37:27

The cleaning process for hospital flat work, sheets, blankets etc is much cheaper than replacing them!

Thesearmsofmine Tue 26-Feb-19 12:38:10

I didn’t say I threw the one we have I the bin, it is sat upstairs in my house but many people will just throw it away just like they do with everything else.

BrazenHusky74 Tue 26-Feb-19 12:40:23

I am in for a MRI soon and will make sure that the clothes I wear are free of metal. This serves 2 purposes, firstly it saves the NHS having to provide me with 2 gowns (one to cover the front and one worn like a dressing gown) which then have to be laundered. Secondly, it ensures that I am comfortable, I don't have to worry about exposing bits in the waiting area or shave my legs.
Nowhere in the pile of paperwork which I received is this suggested even though I strongly believe most people would prefer to wear their own clothing if they knew.
I realise this doesn't save the NHS vast sums of money but is it just one example.

TFBundy Tue 26-Feb-19 12:40:25

I would absolutely throw it away - Christ only knows where it's been and I doubt it would survive being boiled in Dettol. The cleanliness of most hospitals I have seen in the UK leaves much to be desired.

NancyFrank Tue 26-Feb-19 12:51:46

After a serious accident over the years I had a banana board, wheelchair, walking frame, crutches and 3 different walking sticks. The physio team were so grateful that we returned it all as so many don't. Always return things even just to save them from landfill

SpringForEver Tue 26-Feb-19 13:05:30

I have seen things like these on Ebay and Freecycle/Freegle, people are grateful to get them. Maybe not take them to landfill and waste them when someone else could use them.

Council probably sell them on.

SpringForEver Tue 26-Feb-19 13:09:08

With regard to blankets, I spent a night waiting in A&E to be seen (not allowed to leave due to head trauma otherwise I would have gone home). There was someone waiting and there was a blanket which she was using. When she finally went to be seen it was left on the seat, a nurse took it in the end.

Just take them to A&E maybe, and leave them there, they might get re-used, or taken home by someone that needs one rather than binned.

Birdsgottafly Tue 26-Feb-19 13:11:20

Animal charities will take any bedding, including hospital blankets.

Your Mum was very wrong for not phoning the number she would have been given to have the equipment collected.

CoolJule43 Tue 26-Feb-19 13:16:47

I notice there was an article on the news the other day (can't remember if BBC Breakfast or Channel 5 at teatime) where they were cleaning something like a walking frame. Looked like it was being jet-washed. I think they are now taking them back again.

It is totally wasteful to not sterilise and re-use as they are charged a fortune for these type of products.

I'm gobsmacked that they didn't require the blankets back. So wasteful. I think we shouldn't complain about Government funding of the NHS until waste within the NHS is eliminated/minimised.

Aquilla Tue 26-Feb-19 13:20:02

The point is if waste is going on at this small level heaven knows what's being squandered higher up the chain.

PlainSpeakingStraightTalking Tue 26-Feb-19 13:23:42

We have this discussion so frequently – you only have to google to see the infrastructure isnt there to keep, clean , disinfect and reuse in a great many trusts

This one – body parts and medical waste www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-45750389 the back log is horrendous www.hsj.co.uk/quality-and-performance/exclusive-major-incident-as-hospital-waste-collections-halted/7023994.article

Our trust does not take back crutches or frames because the cost to clean is more than the cost to buy.

The NHS is incredibly wasteful, so much stuff is use once, eg every time DH goes to hospital they in put a set of cannulas, I looked up the cost, around £2 an item, often they are never used, or they are discarded and a fresh set re-sited in his arm. A waste of money but infection control prevails, they cannot be sterilised and reused. I have hundreds of pounds of equipment at home, thousands of pounds worth of drugs, but they cant take them back when his scripts change. A complete waste of money.

elloelloello Tue 26-Feb-19 13:29:19

We recently had a local appeal asking people to return stuff like crutches, walking frames, etc to the hospital

DD had a pair of crutches so I took them back - reception refused to take them. I’ve seen various posts on FB from people with the same experience.

It seems so wasteful

Biker47 Tue 26-Feb-19 13:35:35

You’re being far too simplistic. The NHS is in crisis because it’s chronically underfunded. It needs millions more pounds investing in it a year, not whatever could be saved by getting a few blankets or walking frames back (minus the cost of implementing a scheme to facilitate this).

Spending on healthcare has increased year on year for the better part of 3 decades, what is spent currently is nearly 3 times as much than the year 2000. Underfunded it is not, misspending and wastage are some big problems people seem all too happy to bury their heads in the sand about, as minuscule or something that wouldn't make a difference.

LeekMunchingSheepShagger Tue 26-Feb-19 13:39:53

I also tried to return a pair of crutches and the hospital refused to take them. It's baffling really. Surely the nhs could be saving tens of thousands a year by taking stuff back to re use?

GrandmaSharksDentures Tue 26-Feb-19 13:40:13

My unit has no facility to clean & safety check returned equipment (crutches).

There are no guidelines about how they should be cleaned or what should be used to clean them. We have no spare parts (grips for the feet or handles).

Would you be happy to be issued with used & dirty & unsafe equipment?

EdWinchester Tue 26-Feb-19 13:44:49

I was really surprised to be told to throw my son's crutches and a boot away, rather than return them.

GunpowderGelatine Tue 26-Feb-19 13:48:12

Infection prevention is a big issue, ex NHS worker here, it's cheaper to buy a new walking frame for example than it is to deal with the fallout and hassle of a virus spreading round the hospital.

But yes there is a lot of waste still in the NHS

PurpleWithRed Tue 26-Feb-19 13:50:19

If all it took to re-fund the NHS was the return of a few blankets believe me it would be happening.

PlainSpeakingStraightTalking Tue 26-Feb-19 13:54:28

The NHS isn’t underfunded - like any government organisation it is chronically mismanaged and wasteful because they don’t have to actually account to shareholders anyone for their sloppy management.

We did this the other week too – a meeting with Band 8’s and above, looking at 15-20 people a round the table on an annual salary between 70K and 100K. It was a meeting of nothing in particular, a scheduled Assurance Meeting, with no agenda, scrabbling round looking for topics the chat aimlessly about. Pointless, wasteful. Then I sat at Committee and listened to the same aimless conversations again, with the same people, and few extras for good measure. Utterly fucking pointless.

www.rcn.org.uk/employment-and-pay/nhs-pay-2018-19

I use a Band 8 temp - £76 an hour shes paid - not in a clinical role. £2,800 a week to chat to patients and do some referals. Its not a clinic. Thats your waste.

ChardonnaysPrettySister Tue 26-Feb-19 13:56:25

Husky I believe you still will be asked to change into a gown, it’s mainly to protect the expensive equipment.

As for blankets, crutches and so on, then yes, it is wasteful and it’s also creates unnecessary rubbish witch needs to be disposed of.

ajandjjmum Tue 26-Feb-19 13:59:29

Surely the hospitals could adopt the same protocols for cleaning equipment, that they do for beds between patients. I can't believe that employing people to do this would cost more than re-ordering more equipment.

PookieDo Tue 26-Feb-19 14:01:13

Bringing down HAI is of very high importance to the NHS. No one wants aun uncontrollable outbreak of Cdiff. Those HAI’s cost lives and money
It’s not cheap or easy to clean the items to a good standard so they buy in mass bulk

PookieDo Tue 26-Feb-19 14:02:20

@ajandjjmum

They don’t have space or staff or equipment
They do sometimes outsource the cleaning to contractors but it’s usually cheaper to buy a brand new one

ajandjjmum Tue 26-Feb-19 14:06:33

But that doesn't make sense Pookie.

Cleaned, used equipment takes no more storage space than new equipment.

Employing appropriately trained people would cost less than contractors (who have to make a profit). If they did the job properly, infections would be prevented. Like with cleaning beds.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »