Talk

Advanced search

Where in the office is best to stab myself?

(101 Posts)
BeanTownNancy Tue 26-Feb-19 10:52:02

A bit of a non-issue, I know, but just wondering on the consensus.

I unfortunately have GDM and as such need to regularly test my blood sugar. This requires me to have a flat surface so I can load up the app on my phone, the stabbing device and the testing device, then I have to prepare everything, stab myself in a finger, squeeze out a sample of blood onto the tester and scan it, then pack it all away.

I've been doing it at my desk, in the back corner of an open plan office, but occasionally someone will come over to speak to me, look awkwardly at what I'm doing and back away with a look of mild horror.

Should I be doing it at my desk or is that weird/unhygienic? I don't really want to go to the toilets when using my sterile equipment and opening up wounds (tiny I know, but still) and the kitchen seems even weirder because people prepare food and eat in there so doing anything with blood seems unhygienic.

What would you do?

GoldenFlaps Tue 26-Feb-19 10:53:58

I would continue doing it at my desk. If other folk don't like it they don't have to watch!

WingFling Tue 26-Feb-19 10:55:14

I have type 1, I just used to do it at my desk. If people have a problem with it then it's their problem, not yours. Hope it's all going well smile

Disfordarkchocolate Tue 26-Feb-19 10:56:31

I had a colleague who did it at her desk next to me and nobody noticed after a few days and total nonchalance from the colleague. I wouldn't like to see it at a dinner table but I'd cope if that was what was needed ie only other option was the toilets.

WorraLiberty Tue 26-Feb-19 10:58:05

Ask your line manager?

DamonSalvatoresDinner Tue 26-Feb-19 10:58:13

Just keep doing it where you are. It's a necessity for you and people should put up or shut up.

olderthanyouthink Tue 26-Feb-19 10:59:08

I have a serious needle phobia and can't watch but if I can't see it and you don't announce it I don't see a problem. Maybe check with those that sit right by you and do it at your desk.

IncrediblySadToo Tue 26-Feb-19 11:00:02

I have T2. I can do it at a table with people sitting around it wthout anyone knowing I’m doing it. It sounds like you’re making a bit of a song & dance about it.

I doubt people are backing off in horror, they’re probably just feeling like they’ve invaded your personal space, especially with your attitude. Just say gestational diabetes is a bitch, I’ll be glad when the baby is here!

Don’t do it in the toilets or kitchen.

ShadyLady53 Tue 26-Feb-19 11:00:31

I used to do it over the sinks in the toilets blush

Megan2018 Tue 26-Feb-19 11:01:04

Wherever you like. Desk is fine.

People will get used to it, and if they don't it is their problem not yours. I do agree that toilets and kitchens are less than ideal just for hygiene but desk seems entirely reasonable.

I have a friend who is type 1 and I am used to her injecting insulin in the most random of places these days. My Dad is type 2 and regularly whips his kit out to do finger prick test wherever he is. Sometimes we all have a go!

IncrediblySadToo Tue 26-Feb-19 11:02:07

Older you can’t even see the needle. It looks like a pen that you press against your skin. You’d have to be sitting in her knee to see the drop of blood that’s tested.

MRex Tue 26-Feb-19 11:02:27

If it were my office, I'd prefer you to do it at your desk. Tidy, unobtrusive. Maybe have a stand-up folder to perch in front of the paraphernalia for the overly delicate sensibilities.

JenMumma Tue 26-Feb-19 11:02:58

Really wouldn't bother me 🙂

DailyMailWankers Tue 26-Feb-19 11:04:00

hmm That's helpful @IncrediblySadToo

IncrediblySadToo Tue 26-Feb-19 11:05:25

Oh. I guess if she’s injecting it’s a little bit different in seeing the needle, but it’s still done in seconds and I’d do it the way I test so you wouldn’t see it anyway

Jappydooda Tue 26-Feb-19 11:07:14

Do you have a first aid room? It might be best to do it in there?

IncrediblySadToo Tue 26-Feb-19 11:08:40

What’s your problem DailyMailWankers?

It can be done without people even knowing you’re doing it. The Op doesn’t need to go into the toilets or the kitchen to do it. Just learn how to do it without setting up on operating table at her desk 🤣

Birdsgottafly Tue 26-Feb-19 11:10:08

If there was a private office/room, you could request it.

Every workplace will have this covered in their policies and procedures. As they have to with anything that involves body fluids.

What are the rules around drinks, what you can do at your desk? In some places this wouldn't be allowed, but you would be given somewhere.

There not backing off in horror, they are probably just want to give you privacy.

lilyblue5 Tue 26-Feb-19 11:17:28

Desk and then token disinfectant wipe to please anyone who finds it odd? A colleague used to to do it in the loos, but I agree. Why should you expose yourself to potential infection?

Bluetrews25 Tue 26-Feb-19 11:21:07

I came onto this hoping for a parking thread type diagram. Showing location of squeamish colleague and your own desk, all windows, pillars, phone socket points, display screens etc.
With 'do it in the kitchen on the drainer' or 'do it on the CEOs desk' comments.
I always vote for ' Miss Scarlett in the library with the lead piping' a la Cleudo
<disappointed>

RB68 Tue 26-Feb-19 11:25:31

If you are injecting or just blood testing the needle is teeny and generally not visible so looks like a fat pen and the needle doesn't protrude greatly at all, its not like some great syringe.

Remember hands need to be clean when testing too so I would suggest a proper scrub down of desk area with antibac wipes then a daily morning quick wipe down. Just be quick - you will get quicker as time goes on but I wouldn't worry about it. Same if you are injecting insulin, just have the pen set up, glance around and get on with it. It really unhygenic in kitchens and bathrooms so at your desk or possibly a medical room is best.

Vanillaradio Tue 26-Feb-19 11:27:44

I do it at my desk every day and have been doing for 15 years+ (t1) Used to take insulin too before I got my pump. Nobody has said anything negative ever. You need to do it so keep doing it where it's most comfortable and easiest for you. I usually just do it on my lap though rather than needing a flat surface and needing to prepare stuff, bit I'm guessing that's because I am a lot more used to it than you are.

Fatbutt Tue 26-Feb-19 11:29:13

I do it at my desk, or in the break area if I forget to do it before I leave my desk - its discreet and I had been working here for almost 3 years before someone who sits behind me knew I was even diabetic! (it came up in conversation)

Theres no need to announce anything, open your app and put your phone to one side, open your testing kit and get on with it - put it away, get out your insulin pen and get on with it - put it away - no hoo-ha needed and you don't have to lay everything out surgeon style to do it.

CokeAndCrispsAndDip Tue 26-Feb-19 11:30:56

Would a CGM (constant glucose monitor) be helpful to you? My son wears a libre sensor and it really helps exclude a lot of finger tests

HaventGotAllDay Tue 26-Feb-19 11:31:21

Surely the workplace has a private room where you can do it?
I have no needle phobia, and several members of my family who have to test their sugar levels etc.

It sounds as though. as Birds say, the colleagues are more embarrassed than phobic when they approach you. Put yourself in their shoes, "oh I need to pop over and ask something" -approaches desk- oops, she's doing something medical, I'd better come back later"

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: