Talk

Advanced search

To get 2 year old baby sitter for a day

(24 Posts)
AnxietyDream Tue 26-Feb-19 09:28:40

My child is 23 months, has never been in nursery/with childminder/babysitter, but has had three or four 2 hour sessions in a crèche (and was perfectly happy).

There's an event I would really like to do with my DH, but its 5 hours on Saturday, (with travel we would be away from home 6 hours). There's no family or friends who could help (DH has no family, mine are on holiday abroad).

DH thinks it's too long to leave our toddler with a stranger. I feel it's one day, if it goes pear shaped he can drive back (we will be 15 mins away). Am I being unreasonable to think we can do this?

Bigonesmallone3 Tue 26-Feb-19 09:32:46

It really depends on the person..
I don't think I would be ok with it only because I know my only just two year wouldn't be ok with it..
Only you know how ur baby will be..

MatildaTheCat Tue 26-Feb-19 09:38:05

I’d give it a test run so DD has met the sitter then go off and enjoy. If you can get home quickly there isn’t much risk? Assuming they are vetted etc.

CMOTDibbler Tue 26-Feb-19 09:38:12

Why not try them with the same person for a couple of hours each time before the event so you've worked up to 6 hours?

DanielRicciardosSmile Tue 26-Feb-19 09:43:27

Not sure how responsible a 2-year-old babysitter would be tbh. Especially for a whole day. They tend to wander about and leave things lying around in my experience. wink

AnxietyDream Tue 26-Feb-19 09:45:37

The event is this Saturday, so not much opportunity for test runs.

Toddler is very sociable, not clingy. But it's impossible to know how it will go for certain.

lumpinmythroat Tue 26-Feb-19 09:45:43

Hahaha I read that as the babysitter would be two grin

Seeline Tue 26-Feb-19 09:47:11

I wouldn't have left my 2yo with a complete stranger for a whole day! I assume you don't know the person either?

AnxietyDream Tue 26-Feb-19 09:48:22

Not sure how responsible a 2-year-old babysitter would be tbh.

Yeah, I should have checked that title more carefully!

YepImafraidIchangeditagain Tue 26-Feb-19 09:48:26

There are some great apps for babysitting. Lots of nannies and childminders use them to bump up income.
There is usually a full profile checklist and DBS upload.
I don't think I can name on here but have a google.

SoupDragon Tue 26-Feb-19 09:49:59

As you haven't done a test run and it would be with a total stranger, I think it's a bad idea.

sailorsdelight Tue 26-Feb-19 09:50:26

Tricky - can you see if one of the crèche staff would be interested? I’d get a registered nanny/ childminder to do it but ideally they will at least have met your child before. Can you get someone to babysit a couple hours on Thursday night and use the for the Saturday? That’s what I would do ...

Lllot5 Tue 26-Feb-19 09:51:22

Go for it would. Assuming sitter is checked out. You’re only 15 mins away.

NWQM Tue 26-Feb-19 09:52:03

Have you started to look into who? Just asking as I’m not sure I’d attempt it - thinking from the perspective of the babysitter - but if you get lots of takers with experience of doing it then they know it’s doable if you see what I mean. I’m a bit with your DH in thinking it’s a long time but if you built it up it may well be doable. We struggle with childcare options so my only advice is that you just have to try things. You know your baby so if it feels doable then do a mini test run.

pumpkinpie01 Tue 26-Feb-19 09:53:06

I think you definitely need a test run, no matter how nice the person is your child could be very distressed at being left with a stranger at that age. Have you got friends who use a babysitter that comes recommended ? You could do with someone popping round a couple of times this week before saturday.

IncrediblySadToo Tue 26-Feb-19 09:53:36

If she’s sociable and was fine in the crèche, give it a go. As you say, if she gets too upset you’re only 15 minutes away.

Stopandlook Tue 26-Feb-19 09:59:17

Go for it. You can always come home but I bet it will be fine.

AnxietyDream Tue 26-Feb-19 10:01:49

The crèche staff can't do it, the ones were know are the ones who work Saturdays.

I did start looking (theres a reputable local agency, or lots of independent nannies/nursery staff who advertise they do weekend/evening babysitting - I would be looking for a professional) but didn't want to waste to much time in it if it's a terrible idea.

Springwalk Tue 26-Feb-19 10:13:20

I personally wouldn’t leave my 2 year old with a stranger for more or less the whole day. Registered or not you won’t be able to properly meet them or check references, so you will literally be just meeting her and leaving. I wouldn’t feel comfortable personally.
Why can’t you take your child with you? Or go on your own?

HollowTalk Tue 26-Feb-19 10:15:03

There's an agency called Sitters that thoroughly checks its babysitters.

Why don't you hire the same person for a few nights for an hour or two before your toddler goes to bed, then for the day?

ohtheholidays Tue 26-Feb-19 10:17:54

Could you do a short test run,hire the person you'll use on Saturday and get them to spend a few hours with your DS on thursday.

That way he'd have met the person before the Saturday and they'd have met your DS and you could judge how thursday went and see if you think it would work for the weekend.

AnxietyDream Tue 26-Feb-19 10:47:55

Why can’t you take your child with you? Or go on your own?

It's not the kind of event you can take children to. I will be attending on my own if we cant sort out childcare, but I would have very much preferred to have my DHs support.

Thesearmsofmine Tue 26-Feb-19 10:54:01

No I wouldn’t leave my two year old with a complete stranger for a day unless I had no other option(as in an emergency situation).

Springwalk Tue 26-Feb-19 19:52:34

I think your toddler is in far more need of yor dhs care and attention for the day, unless you are attending a funeral of a close relative or some kind of recovery meeting/hospital app for serious illness. Surely the safety of your child is more important than any event I can think of.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »