Talk

Advanced search

To be excited by something so sad

(88 Posts)
Fluffyears Mon 25-Feb-19 21:38:19

I will start with some background. I grew up in a skint household with an alcoholic parent who drank all our money. I had very few clothes, none of the right clothes, no money to go swimming or to the cinema etc and found it hard to fit in.

When I finally got a job and access to credit I thought ‘this is amazing!’ I could buy what a wanted and go where I wanted. This spiralled and I ended up £10k in debt eventually. I was naive and a bit ignorant about how credit worked. I then met DH who had his own home at 24,has some savings and no debts apart from our mortgage. We sorted out my finances and I got a consolidation loan. I have used my card occasionally but pay it all off.

What I am excited by is that on Friday my Loan will come to and end and I will be free of debt apart from the mortgage. I will actually be able to build some savings, I will actually have ‘fun’ money that is not credit. If anyone is in the same position it is possible to get free but it does take time. I actually want to do a wee jig of excitement....that is sad isn’t it?

artemisdubois Mon 25-Feb-19 22:01:43

That's not sad at all. It's a real achievement, and no doubt a weight off your shoulders even if you've been on top of it for a while.

Congratulations!

Redcrayonisthebest Mon 25-Feb-19 22:03:35

That's not sad at all, it's brilliant!! Well done smile

UnperfectLife Mon 25-Feb-19 22:06:54

I salute you and shall join in with your wee jig of excitement. It must have taken great strength of mind and commitment. Bask in your success, celebrate being debt free - and imagine what else you are capable of!!!!

Fluffyears Mon 25-Feb-19 22:07:17

serenity45 I did that and nearly fell into the hole again. I cut all my cards up and have one for emergencies only....dire emergencies and not frivolous spending unless I want insurance. I bought my wedding dress on it for insurance but had the money to pay it off immediately.

whitehorsesdonotlie Mon 25-Feb-19 22:09:07

It’s not sad at all! What a great feeling! Well done, op!

SquigglySquaw Mon 25-Feb-19 22:09:47

Not sad at all. I'm paying off my debts now, can't wait to be free. It feels like an anchor round my neck, weighing me down. Well done!

Fluffyears Mon 25-Feb-19 22:10:11

You are a wonderful bunch and thank you so much for letting me know i’m Not a sad bastard...looking forward to next mortgage review....writing zero on all the questions will feel really good! Cancelling the direct debit may male me squeak!!!

Cel982 Mon 25-Feb-19 22:10:46

Oh well done you, I love reading things like this!! Great achievement, be very very proud of yourself flowers

brokenup123 Mon 25-Feb-19 22:11:38

Well done op! I'll be in this situation in 6 months I hope, and I'm so excited!

Fluffyears Mon 25-Feb-19 22:13:25

squiggly keep going it feels amazing. DH just said I should buy something with the cash i’ll save so that everytime I look at it I think how far i’ve come. I was thinking of a Swarovski pen. There is also a watch I love but put off buying so I might save up now. I will also save for rainy days!

castielchace Mon 25-Feb-19 22:14:14

AHH that's amazing well done...you should be so proud of yourself 🙋

Fluffyears Mon 25-Feb-19 22:14:47

brokenuo123 oh you’ll be free by Christmas 👏🏼 well done.

Aridane Mon 25-Feb-19 22:17:01

Well done you

2018SoFarSoGreat Mon 25-Feb-19 22:24:09

Dance away! really well done. You have every right to be proud of yourself.

NunoGoncalves Mon 25-Feb-19 22:25:57

How is that "something so sad"? Becoming debt-free is a huge deal. I had a 15k loan in my twenties after consolidating debts and the monthly repayments were significant. The month I finished paying it all off I felt a huge weight off my shoulders. It was incredible!

DannyWallace Mon 25-Feb-19 22:26:24

Nothing sad about this!
Well done OP! Hope you're going to celebrate!!

Bluesrunthegame Mon 25-Feb-19 22:28:15

That's brilliant, not at all sad.

Well done!!!!

BusySnipingOnCallOfDuty Mon 25-Feb-19 22:28:32

My OH didnt have the alcy father but is one of six and says they were piss poor. He had about 20K debt on his credit card but finished paying it off a few years back before we met. He earns well now and after a period of living with family to afford to save for a deposit, we bought a flat. Though Im not happy about it, hes taken out a loan to repay my parents nearly three grand, pay the two grand on his credit card and the rest towards a car hes px for which is tax exempt and runs more efficiently (and reliably) because he can afford the repayments over five years. And hes still putting some away every month. Mortgage is high and I dont work, but he feels fantastic being in control. I am keeping an eye on spending though, hes not savvy about keeping grocery shopping down etc.

Celebrate hard, OP!

MrsJayy Mon 25-Feb-19 22:28:56

No it isn't sad at all being debt free will be liberating just try and not fall back in the trap.

Jux Mon 25-Feb-19 22:31:14

Your news has made me smile! Of course it's not a sad thing to be excited about finally paying off a debt!

DH and I come to the end of a 10yr loan in the summer, and we are very happy in anticipation. Can't wait, frankly.

Congratulations grin 🍭🥂

IncrediblySadToo Mon 25-Feb-19 22:34:31

🎉🍾🥂 Congratulations!! 🍰🌷🎉

It’s not ‘sad’ at all that you’re excited and want to celebrate. It’s worth celebrating!

What is sad is the shitty parenting that didn’t prepare you for the world 😢.

I’d love to know more, but don’t say anything you don’t want to! I’d love to know how old you are now, how you got a mortgage, how much your DH helped/supported you financially and anything else really. I don’t even know you & I’m really proud of you! I hope you have people IRL (as well as your DH) telling you how great you are 🌷

Fluffyears Mon 25-Feb-19 22:37:42

Thank you, I also turn 40 soon so life begins and I really will celebrate well. Aw busysniping it was hard for my mum in particular as she had to use her family allowance to try to feed and clothe us and it was £11. i am very good at now not spending money as I’m scared to be skint and get back into debt 😟.

AnyFucker Mon 25-Feb-19 22:42:14

A massive well done to you

Fluffyears Mon 25-Feb-19 22:42:47

@incrediblysad. Our mortgage was ok as DH is a high earner, he pays more to our bills and the majority of times when we go out. He has offered to bail me out behore but that’s his savings not mine. My dad was a functioning alcoholic and didn’t actually seem to care if we ate or not. He came in pissed once on my birthday after drinking all afternoon (my mum was waiting for his as he had a lighter for my candles) ‘oh hen it’s your birthday is it? What age are you..,,7?’ Erm i was 13!

Ivgotasecretcanyoukeepit Mon 25-Feb-19 22:46:28

Definitely not sad at all OP. What an amazing achievement. smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »