Talk

Advanced search

32 days to go until Brexit , which would you prefer ? No deal , the WA or revoke ? Which is best for the majority of the population of the UK ?

(347 Posts)
frumpety Mon 25-Feb-19 20:18:54

This is a genuine question , you can give an explanation or not for your choice, entirely up to you smile

My choice would be revoke, if I was considering the rest of the UK population. This does not mean that the UK can never leave the EU, but that those in charge would have to come up with solutions that were not detrimental to the majority of the population.

daftgeranium Fri 01-Mar-19 10:06:15

Revoke.
No Deal is beyond bloody irresponsible, it's criminal.

frumpety Fri 01-Mar-19 10:00:19

I am not sure it is hysterical to point out the fact that most of the world is in some sort of trading bloc or affiliation because it makes sense, or that leaving one of the biggest to go it alone = UK versus the rest of the world ? You think me saying so is dramatic, I would say it is simply a fact.

We disagree on how leaving one of the biggest trading blocs will effect the UK's ability to negotiate well in the future. You think it will be mostly ticketyboo, I don't smile

PestyMachtubernahme Fri 01-Mar-19 09:57:37

the UK might be locked in a customs union with no unilateral right to leave under the current deal.

the UK IS locked in a PEACE TREATY with no unilateral right to leave under the current GFA.

The two are very linked

BorisBogtrotter Fri 01-Mar-19 09:54:23

"Because I have been persuaded that the UK might be locked in a customs union with no unilateral right to leave under the current deal."

The UK is never going to have unilateral right to anything under any agreement, whether it be WTO or any future trade agreement anyway.

jasjas1973 Fri 01-Mar-19 09:52:01

However, there does seem to be some conspiracy on here to only post the bad news - often in a hysterical way. There has to be some balance

True, sometimes there is stuff posted on MN about death, civil war, martial law etc and i just roll my eyes!

However, if the leading brexitiers cannot come up with convincing factual advantages for leaving the EU, then one really does have to wonder.
All i have heard is a series of wish lists on the adv of brexit, its just not something i'm willing to risk my family and country on.

We ve plenty of money to put right many of the inequalities in this country without potentially wrecking the economy.

Clavinova Fri 01-Mar-19 09:45:45

Why do you think no deal is preferential?

Because I have been persuaded that the UK might be locked in a customs union with no unilateral right to leave under the current deal.

BorisBogtrotter Fri 01-Mar-19 09:38:35

Why do you think no deal is preferential?

BorisBogtrotter Fri 01-Mar-19 09:36:58

"The WTO has today confirmed that British businesses will be able to continue bidding for public sector contracts around the world after the UK leaves the EU."

You realise that the UK is a WTO member in its own right, and despite not having the WTO schedules approved ( a far more pressing and important matter), they were going to have to do this anyway. its no victory

Clavinova Fri 01-Mar-19 09:29:05

You, as usual, have searched the net to find something that you think confirms your bias, it doesn't.

My own personal bias as you say, extends to approx.70/30 leave the EU (up from 52/48 on referendum day) - and if we do actually leave the EU, I'm leaning 60/40 towards no deal (at the moment).

I am undecided - like many people.

However, there does seem to be some conspiracy on here to only post the bad news - often in a hysterical way. There has to be some balance.

jasjas1973 Fri 01-Mar-19 09:15:44

Clav... its what we've got now in the EU.

British businesses will be able to continue bidding for public sector contracts around the world worth more than £1.3 trillion a year after we leave the European Union

and....

The UK’s independent membership gives British businesses the certainty that they will be able to continue bidding for public sector contracts overseas on almost the same terms as they do now

so not as good as we currently enjoy?

BorisBogtrotter Fri 01-Mar-19 09:09:04

Right, lets test the strength of what you said:

"You are being too dramatic.
Another encouraging development on Wednesday"

You then linked to an agreement which means that we can maintain the status quo on a minor issue, its not a big deal.

The UK would have to win far many more contracts than it currently does in order to make up for the damage to GDP from a no deal brexit.

You, as usual, have searched the net to find something that you think confirms your bias, it doesn't.

Clavinova Fri 01-Mar-19 09:08:03

That was in reply to longwayoff's
Fox news? 'Anonymous quote'? gringringrin do give over dear.

PestyMachtubernahme Fri 01-Mar-19 09:06:55

We will still be able to get our blue passports printed in France grin

Clavinova Fri 01-Mar-19 09:05:35

Oh look - Government press release as well;

www.gov.uk/government/news/wto-agreement-secures-13-trillion-market-for-british-contractors

WTO agreement secures £1.3 trillion market for British contractors

The WTO has today confirmed that British businesses will be able to continue bidding for public sector contracts around the world after the UK leaves the EU.

jasjas1973 Fri 01-Mar-19 09:04:57

Again, Clav, just gives us what we've got already....... no actually positives.

Agree on the impact assessments from this brexit seeking Govt, do not make for positive reading.

BorisBogtrotter Fri 01-Mar-19 09:04:49

Remaining in the GPA of the WTO isn't really that big a deal.

It retains status quo on an extremely minor issue.

PestyMachtubernahme Fri 01-Mar-19 09:02:47

This actually about the biggest thing the UK gov have achieved.
uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-wto/wto-agrees-terms-to-keep-britain-in-procurement-deal-post-brexit-idUKKCN1QG1E5

It means the UK can bid for international contracts. However, it also means that the other 47 countries in the group can bid for contracts in this country. Contracts work both ways.

Clavinova Fri 01-Mar-19 09:01:56

It was in the Financial Times - but I can't link that.

BorisBogtrotter Fri 01-Mar-19 09:01:40

Copy and -paste Clav returns with her epic critical thinking skills.

Linking to a fox news site shows your poor use of credibility criteria.

Nearly as good as yesterday's linking to the IEA and an editorial that well known hot bed of pinpoint political critique GQ to back up your hyperbole about Corbyn.

Hilarious.

Why don't you C and P the governments own impact statements?

frumpety Fri 01-Mar-19 08:57:03

That sounds super Clavinova , but still doesn't really counter my statement that it will be the UK versus the rest of the world. smile

longwayoff Fri 01-Mar-19 08:50:25

Clavinova Fri 01-Mar-19 08:26:56

It will be the UK versus the rest of the world nearly all of whom are in trade blocs and affiliations, you know like we are, because it makes sense.

You are being too dramatic.
Another encouraging development on Wednesday:

www.foxnews.com/world/britain-reaches-wto-deal-on-govt-contracts-post-brexit

GENEVA–Britain struck a trade deal Wednesday for a post-Brexit world, obtaining approval from other World Trade Organization members to stay part of a competitive market for lucrative government contracts after the country leaves the European Union

The agreement allows Britain to retain its place among the 47 WTO countries that are involved in the Government Procurement Agreement. The EU's 28 member nations belong as a single entity, so the bidding agreement's participating countries signed off on allowing Britain to join as an independent party to the pact.

The arrangement ensures continuity of cross-border bidding for big-ticket government contracts, though military contracts are generally excluded.

A Geneva-based trade official said on condition of anonymity because he's not authorized to be named publicly said that the agreement was a relatively straightforward step but an important one in ensuring access to a combined market valued at over $1.7 trillion

frumpety Fri 01-Mar-19 07:24:13

If it looks like it is going to be no deal, then I imagine the EU would allow a short extension for the UK and themselves to get their shit together,( although other EU countries have been planning for a no deal some time) plus there isn't enough time left to sort out all the legislation and law stuff, that would require a couple of months at the very least.

But don't be thinking that no deal means the end of Brexit, it would simply be the beginning of years and years of negotiations with the rest of the world and the EU, trying to replace what we had lost and doing so from a far weaker negotiating stance. It will be the UK versus the rest of the world, nearly all of whom are in trade blocs and affiliations, you know like we are, because it makes sense wink

28 days to go.

mummmy2017 Thu 28-Feb-19 07:43:17

Saw the EU get to vote, on if they extend

But they need this question answered first ..
Extend to do what?

Or the 27 won't agree.

TalkinPeece Wed 27-Feb-19 22:45:42

If the UK did revoke, do you think the other euro country's will except to be reimbursed for all the money and time spent so far on negotiations.
Nope
same as in any other failed tender / quote costs

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »