Talk

Advanced search

32 days to go until Brexit , which would you prefer ? No deal , the WA or revoke ? Which is best for the majority of the population of the UK ?

(347 Posts)
frumpety Mon 25-Feb-19 20:18:54

This is a genuine question , you can give an explanation or not for your choice, entirely up to you smile

My choice would be revoke, if I was considering the rest of the UK population. This does not mean that the UK can never leave the EU, but that those in charge would have to come up with solutions that were not detrimental to the majority of the population.

CountFosco Mon 25-Feb-19 20:21:43

Since every version of Brexit involves the country becoming poorer revoke. But I've always been a remainer. Work in the Pharma industry and not looking forward to the impact of Brexit.

UtterlyDesperate Mon 25-Feb-19 20:21:49

WTO Brexit. No explanation as you say we don't need to smile (Originally voted Remain)

Chocolatepeanuts Mon 25-Feb-19 20:24:02

Revoke or even WA. I live in NI and near the border and a no deal terrifies me.

Tomtontom Mon 25-Feb-19 20:25:15

Ideal world, revoke. But that has the potential to cause riots.

Workable compromise, Labour's solution, remaining in the Customs Union, maintaining peace in NI and protecting jobs. The one the EU actually sees as workable.

yolofish Mon 25-Feb-19 20:25:37

Revoke, all the way (always been a remainer). I can understand people voting out of frustration - just - but I cannot understand why we would all want to carry on down a slippery slope to disaster.

safariboot Mon 25-Feb-19 20:25:53

Anything is better than a 29th March no-deal exit.

AutumnCrow Mon 25-Feb-19 20:27:20

Revoke. All other options are irrational.

PCMasterRays Mon 25-Feb-19 20:31:07

This is AIBU, not politics, please post there instead.

Birdsgottafly Mon 25-Feb-19 20:34:23

"Anything is better than a 29th March no-deal exit."

I thought the plan was now a May 29th exit? That's what's in discussion.

I think that even the Brexiteers in the party are accepting that we can't be ready for March.

Corbyn is finally calling for a second vote, bit late.

AutumnCrow Mon 25-Feb-19 20:34:55

This is AIBU, not politics, please post there instead

It's been the lead news story for days, weeks even. Anyway you dont run Mumsnet.

GroundhogWeek Mon 25-Feb-19 20:35:10

Revoke

frumpety Mon 25-Feb-19 20:36:05

PCMasterRays ? but this political crisis effects all of us , every single person currently living in the UK and those UK citizens who live in EU, why do you think it needs to be squirrelled off into a separate area ?

NameChanger22 Mon 25-Feb-19 20:36:47

Revoke, revoke, revoke. Everything else is stupid.

niceupthedanceagain Mon 25-Feb-19 20:36:54

Revoke

AlexaShutUp Mon 25-Feb-19 20:37:27

Revoke. That's my preference personally and also what I think would be best for the population as a whole.

AlexaShutUp Mon 25-Feb-19 20:38:51

Just ignore the thread police, OP. Some people might want to bury their heads in the sand, but this is the most important issue that the country has faced for decades. We can discuss it wherever we like!

marvellousnightforamooncup Mon 25-Feb-19 20:43:01

Revoke.

TheElementsSong Mon 25-Feb-19 20:44:56

Revoke.

Timeforanewname2014 Mon 25-Feb-19 20:45:43

Revoke. (Although unfortunately I cannot see a possibility of this happening) No deal would be disastrous. WA slightly less so.

temperancefugit Mon 25-Feb-19 20:45:49

Revoke then get on with sorting out housing, public services etc... the real problems that have been completely ignored and neglected during the last few years - was that actually the real reason for this complete waste of time and money?

Stick a couple of Brexiters in an office somewhere to work on a realistic, concrete plan to leave the EU with instructions not to bother us till it’s all agreed in principle and ready to be voted on again- what should have been done before the 2016 referendum.

My worst fear, apart from no deal, is that there will be an extension - more time and money diverted from the very real problems in this country today!

Smileymoon Mon 25-Feb-19 20:46:13

Revoke. It is total madness to go ahead with it.

BambooBoobam Mon 25-Feb-19 20:46:15

Revoke

BambooBoobam Mon 25-Feb-19 20:49:04

The people I know who voted leave would all rather revoke now as well.

MorskieOko Mon 25-Feb-19 20:49:57

Revoke

Iseesheep Mon 25-Feb-19 20:51:58

Revoke. Anything else is madness. But I thought than more than 2 years ago.

Reversiblesequinsforadults Mon 25-Feb-19 20:53:07

Revoke, but then I've always been a remainer. I do worry about people feeling disenfranchised though. A second referendum would have to be at least 60/40 to put it to bed, (which it should have been in the first place, imho)

KennDodd Mon 25-Feb-19 20:54:10

CU and SM Norway style option.

I know this leaves us with no say but if we revoked we'd just keep electing UKIP MEPs who deliberately set out to do as much damage as they can to our own interests so they can shit stir at home, we're better off without them.

FudgeBrownie2019 Mon 25-Feb-19 20:57:08

Revoke.

I understand that the initial decision will be held up by leavers as a democratic vote and I also understand that feathers will be ruffled if it's revoked. But why not revoke now and say "we can have another referendum in five years once the Leave group have come up with a formal plan to ensure we leave with our economy intact" and let the Leavers froth a little then go back to reading the Daily Mail and championing BoJo for PM.

If I voted for a new brand of chocolate bar to be released on the UK market which, once I'd voted for it, was revealed to contain 4 ounces of dogshit, I wouldn't say "hey, that's democracy" and leave it there. I'd do my level best to stop other consumers from eating the dogshit. And as vulgar and base as that comparison is, I don't see that Brexit is any different; there has been no proven gain to us leaving other than some misguided "getting our country back" belief for the neanderthals. Everyone else wants to revoke the shit chocolate bar and go back to eating a Twirl.

Kittykatmacbill Mon 25-Feb-19 20:57:19

Revoke. We will never recoup what we lost, all those jobs are gone, goodwill gone. It should be really obvious to everyone that we not being held back by the eu, instead we are being held together by it.

YeOldeTrout Mon 25-Feb-19 20:57:24

I suppose the combined majority either didn't vote (so don't care or can't understand eg children or dementia) or voted Remain and haven't changed mind, or voted Leave & have changed mind.

Since I'm sure economically, Remain is best option, I would say Revoke, both in terms of what people 'really want' and in terms of what's in best interests of UK.

WA is tolerable but it's a blind Brexit. The final deal could still be quite damaging.

CanILeavenowplease Mon 25-Feb-19 20:58:12

Revoke. Please , please, please let that happen.

bettybyebye Mon 25-Feb-19 20:59:07

Revoke

NicoAndTheNiners Mon 25-Feb-19 20:59:56

Revoke

Duckshead Mon 25-Feb-19 21:02:40

Revoke, OP you don't give confirmation referendum as a choice?

KennDodd Mon 25-Feb-19 21:04:06

Also, if we stayed in the SM and CU we could tell Leavers to stfu, you got what you voted for, we've left.

WhenISnappedAndFarted Mon 25-Feb-19 21:04:06

Revoke

TheWomanin12B Mon 25-Feb-19 21:05:45

Revoke.

All exits potentially lead to unrest now. I'd prefer to still be able to get food and medicine whilst the knuckle daggers fight amongst themselves.

TheWomanin12B Mon 25-Feb-19 21:07:10

*draggers, obvs.

Darkbendis Mon 25-Feb-19 21:07:37

Revoke.

ahtellthee Mon 25-Feb-19 21:08:58

Revoke.

I would love a second referendum though. I am hoping for that.

frumpety Mon 25-Feb-19 21:10:56

Duckshead I am sorry I didn't offer another referendum as an option, so in the interests of fair play I offer potential third referendum as another option , with two outcomes , remain or WA ?

bellabasset Mon 25-Feb-19 21:12:49

Revoke - no one voted for this situation

As Temperance says get on building the infrastructure, the lack of affordable homes for an increased population helped fuel the leave vote.

BoneyBackJefferson Mon 25-Feb-19 21:13:18

KennDodd
Also, if we stayed in the SM and CU we could tell Leavers to stfu,

What makes you think that this isn't what some leavers wanted?

hanahsaunt Mon 25-Feb-19 21:14:07

Revoke.

ValleyoftheHorses Mon 25-Feb-19 21:17:59

Revoke.
No deal is madness.

BlackLambAndGreyFalcon Mon 25-Feb-19 21:19:36

Revoke ideally, but anything but no deal/WTO rules.

Justheretogiveaviewfrommyworld Mon 25-Feb-19 21:19:42

Knuckle draggers -- these threads are always so lazy!! FFS. Leave then, leave now. I voted the way I did to express my annoyance with the patronising attitudes like this, from people who don't look outside of their own experience. My vote was absolutely nothing to do with immigration (contrary to popular remainer ignorance) I only live here because my Grandfather fled the Nazis. I just don't see why, the 26 countries remaining in the EU are the only ones worth 'getting into bed with' so to speak. Even Pro EU folk admit there are issues, so what's wrong with trying something new? It's only been 44 years since we joined, the earth was on its axis before and will be after.

I get that people are worried about change, but what I can't get is why they thought change would never ever happen? Something else could have blocked supply ect. What would have happened then? No country should be so dependent on any other that drinking water is in doubt, regardless of whether we are in the EU.

ChasedByBees Mon 25-Feb-19 21:23:42

Revoke

BoneyBackJefferson Mon 25-Feb-19 21:24:55

Justheretogiveaviewfrommyworld

Its just another thread where posters get to ask the same question in a slightly different way.

TheWomanin12B Mon 25-Feb-19 21:33:53

I called them knuckle draggers because they are if they are in the streets fighting and smashing things up. Irrespective of which way they voted, some people are always looking for violence and thuggery. Knuckle draggers.

Backwoodsgirl Mon 25-Feb-19 21:40:19

As a Brit in the USA watching the UK crumble, I don't think it matters, the country will never be the same again, a lot of damage has already been done.

Revoke will be the bed option, but my inner Prepper hopes for no deal.

Justheretogiveaviewfrommyworld Mon 25-Feb-19 21:43:06

But you clearly were refering to leave voters, who you believe would fight in the streets if a second ref were to be called. I never hear similar terminology used about remainers who are calling to over turn a democratic vote, thus in my opinion behaving as badly as any brawlers. Tbh, I wouldn't mind another referendum, if only to stop the 'but oh you silly people just didn't understand let us explain it to to you SLOWLY' or low turn out, my kids were too young to vote then, crap. I would still get my one vote, as before and use it the way I choose, as before, so a second go does not trouble me re 'winning or losing' (Since when was a vote a competition between voters rather than politicians?) What does worry me is the setting of political precedent. Hitler was voted into power....

Papillon45 Mon 25-Feb-19 21:44:45

Revoke even though it will probably cause civil unrest in the short term I think it’s better than the alternatives

JRMisOdious Mon 25-Feb-19 21:46:58

Like Smileymoon says. It’s lunacy. Revoke and remain in the EU, which has been magnanimous in stating we can retain the very preferrential terms we had before this attempted suicide.

BoneyBackJefferson Mon 25-Feb-19 21:52:41

JRMisOdious

which has been magnanimous in stating we can retain the very preferrential terms we had before

There is nothing magnanimous in this, If we revoked 50 they would have no choice.

ilovesooty Mon 25-Feb-19 21:54:06

Revoke but I think it will take years to repair the damage that's happened already

KitTheCat Mon 25-Feb-19 21:57:22

Revoke!

JRMisOdious Mon 25-Feb-19 22:10:14

BoneyBackJefferson

As I understood it, the renegotiation of term’s that David Cameron achieved just prior to the referendum became null and void as soon as we voted to leave. (Again, as I understand it) the EU has said we could continue with those renegotiated terms if we revoked Article 50 even though it had no legal obligation to do so. It is complicated, yes and I could be wrong. But I don’t think I am grin

Hagird Mon 25-Feb-19 22:17:48

I am not British so my opinion doesn't count but I'll throw it out there anyway: Britain will suffer whatever you do (and i fear the reason for the suffering will be blamed on everyone else but yourselves). As a nation you have egg on your face, you have proven yourselves to have nothing of the empire you were previously so proud of being. My country, my income and my children will suffer because of your inability to organise this exit or otherwise.

I lived in Britain and had a mostly fabulous experience and mostly was made very welcome so I am sorry to see the state the country is in now. But not so sorry I don't feel some anger at the suffering you are wilfully imposing on others (as well as your own but they had a vote, we did not).

averylongtimeago Mon 25-Feb-19 22:19:59

Revoke!
But if not, then a Customs union/ single market.
But absolutely not WTO no deal.

Girlofgold Mon 25-Feb-19 22:23:43

Revoke. Not worth it.

Dockray Mon 25-Feb-19 22:32:07

Revoke

Walkingdeadfangirl Mon 25-Feb-19 22:32:57

We voted to leave, we have to leave or it will rip our country apart. So either we accept the WA with a legal right to end it or we have a managed no deal.

If we don't leave now we will be a whipping boy for the EU, trapped in its control forever.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Mon 25-Feb-19 22:33:37

Revoke.

Tolleshunt Mon 25-Feb-19 22:36:45

Revoke, of course. It's the only credible option.

doIreallyneedto Mon 25-Feb-19 22:37:24

@frumpety - but this political crisis effects all of us , every single person currently living in the UK and those UK citizens who live in EU

Unfortunately, it also affects those of us who are not British, do not live in the UK but who have the misfortune to live next door to you. We have spent a fortune already preparing for no deal because you lot can't agree on what you want. If it wasn't for the shit storm that would rain down on us, there is a little bit of me that would like to see you get what you deserve with no deal.

However, the more compassionate side of me wouldn't wish that on anyone. Plus we'll be in the shit big time if you crash out, so as a bystander, I would like to see revoke.

Angeladelight Mon 25-Feb-19 22:40:54

Revoke. I voted remain and still wish to remain really but I have accepted Brexit, just not like this. No one has the foggiest and it’s becoming a full time job just to keep up with developments. As an average person the whole situation feels hopeless and I’ve lost the little shred of faith I had in our government.

Gth1234 Mon 25-Feb-19 22:43:30

No deal is best, but the bloody politicians are doing their best to keep us in.

JRMisOdious Mon 25-Feb-19 22:44:36

BoneyBackJefferson

I put that quite badly!

What I meant was, the EU is only obliged to take us back on the terms we operated under pre-referendum if we revoke. Instead, it very quickly said, immediately after the leave vote, that if we changed our collective mind it was prepared to extend the preferential terms David Cameron had secured but which had not been adopted because his party roundly rejected them. Instead they were effectively wrapped up as a conditional part of a remain win. I do think that still offering to extend those improved pref-referendum terms is magnanimous, after the headaches we’ve caused and money we’ve wasted.

KidLorneRoll Mon 25-Feb-19 23:01:29

Revoke revoke revoke. I seriously question the sanity of anyone who thinks otherwise.

EthelFechan Mon 25-Feb-19 23:03:39

Revoke. Remain. Reform.

EthelFechan Mon 25-Feb-19 23:05:52

We voted to leave, we have to leave or it will rip our country apart

Cos we're so united now hmm

KidLorneRoll Mon 25-Feb-19 23:08:06

"We voted to leave, we have to leave or it will rip our country apart."

No it won't. Don't be silly.

Rockbird Mon 25-Feb-19 23:09:01

Revoke. No question. But I agree that the damage has already been done regardless of what happens next. It's just a matter of minimising it.

MordredsOrrery Mon 25-Feb-19 23:09:55

Revoke

Also: I never hear similar terminology used about remainers who are calling to over turn a democratic vote <-- is incorrect.

It wasn't democratic. The high courts recently stated that had the referendum been legally binding, rather than just advisory, the result would have been quashed as the Vote Leave campaign acted illegally. So enough already with the democratic will-of-the-people mantra.

EmeraldShamrock Tue 26-Feb-19 07:56:03

We have spent a fortune already preparing for no deal because you lot can't agree on what you want. If it wasn't for the shit storm that would rain down on us, there is a little bit of me that would like to see you get what you deserve with no deal
Unfortunately many Irish feel this way too, right now the cervical cancer disaster, housing crisis and many issues are being side lined for Brexit talks.
Our Taoiseacht has never changed his stance on the border issue.
Personally I hope it is not extended past the 29th, although I reckon it will stay centre talk for years to come.

Poloshot Tue 26-Feb-19 08:02:32

No deal

CoolJule43 Tue 26-Feb-19 08:03:01

Leave with no deal.

All of my friends who voted to leave say they would vote the same way again and are more adamant too because of the way we have been treated by the EU.

I also know people who voted remain who have now changed their minds (although I only know a few who voted remain).

Camomila Tue 26-Feb-19 08:03:58

People's vote followed by revoke.
2nd choice WA followed by staying in the CU/SM.

Worst would be a short extension (to prolong the waiting!) followed by no deal.

mummmy2017 Tue 26-Feb-19 08:07:57

No deal.
You need saying labour would campaign for a new vote, has this not left labour to vote down any deal TM offers?
So if she won't win the vote, says it is happening next month.. how can anything else happen?

namechange34 Tue 26-Feb-19 08:09:02

Revoke

thecatsthecats Tue 26-Feb-19 08:15:18

I'm not so certain that riots would be either inevitable or prolonged. It's one thing to support or vote for a political cause, it's another to go out on the streets to smash things up on behalf of it - I'm think that this would be the vast, vast minority of leave voters.

AutumnCrow Tue 26-Feb-19 08:16:32

We voted to leave, we have to leave or it will rip our country apart

The ERG already did that, for their own personal gain. And the PM, whose husband allegedly also stands to gain, let them. If people want to indulge in hyperbole, how about 'treason'?

We need revocation and a royal commission into how we got here.

MrPan Tue 26-Feb-19 08:18:53

Revoke. Then Remain.

The "will of the people" is plainly to avoid stepping in a massive pile of dog shit, which Brexiters didn't know was there in 2016.

AutumnCrow Tue 26-Feb-19 08:20:49

The high courts recently stated that had the referendum been legally binding, rather than just advisory, the result would have been quashed as the Vote Leave campaign acted illegally. So enough already with the democratic will-of-the-people mantra

I think this, from MordredsOrrery, bears repeating. Frequently.

MrPan Tue 26-Feb-19 08:21:15

Do people REALLY know what the WTO terms are? The enforced tariffs which we (undemocratically) can't vote against. Which makes us ALL poorer.

How fucking dim do Leavers have to be?

DailyMailFuckRightOff Tue 26-Feb-19 08:24:34

Revoke.

Clavinova Tue 26-Feb-19 08:46:17

The "will of the people" is plainly to avoid stepping in a massive pile of dog shit, which Brexiters didn't know was there in 2016.

And yet 357,936 people have already signed this petition;

Leave the EU without a deal in March 2019
petition.parliament.uk/petitions/229963

And it's gone up by 10 signatures in the last few minutes!?

(No, I haven't signed it - I'm still sitting on the fence).

scaryteacher Tue 26-Feb-19 08:56:33

WTO Brexit; the WA is too bad to sign up to.

I would have preferred to have left with a simple WA, that allowed both sides time to sort things out, but when we leave, we have to leave with the ability to strike our own trade deals.

There is no status quo if we stay in the EU - no veto, as most things move to QMV.

doIreallyneedto Tue 26-Feb-19 09:11:41

@CoolJule43 - All of my friends who voted to leave say they would vote the same way again and are more adamant too because of the way we have been treated by the EU.

I find it hard to believe that people are so blinkered as to blame the EU for this. Firstly, the EU have consistently started that they intend upholding the 4 freedoms. Thus, any deal will not allow the UK to avail of only a subset of them. This is a perfectly reasonable stance to take as to do otherwise would undermine the whole principle of the EU. The UK knew this would be the case but still tried to cherry pick and acted shocked and offended when that was denied them.

Secondly, the UK, not the EU, has signed an internationally binding agreement with Ireland that requires no border checks at the British border in Ireland. The EU are, not very surprisingly, supporting Ireland in their demand that the UK complies with that agreement. The UK and the EU negotiated the only viable exit agreement that complied with everyone's red lines. Unfortunately, most of the UK government did not like this agreement and decided that they would prefer to use fairy dust to ensure there is no hard border in Ireland. Unsurprisingly, Ireland and the EU are a little sceptical of the efficacy of fairy dust and have refused to renegotiate to a fictional, non-viable, solution. Although if the UK could come up with a non-fantasy suggestion to deal with the British border, the EU are open to discussion.

Basically, the EU has treated the UK a damn site better than the UK have treated Ireland and the EU.

BorisBogtrotter Tue 26-Feb-19 09:13:26

Anyone advocating WTO over the W.A doesn't understand either.

amusedbush Tue 26-Feb-19 09:23:47

Revoke. Revoke. Revoke.

I'm a remainer and I've never wavered in that. Brexit is a disaster.

instagland Tue 26-Feb-19 09:26:52

Another for revoke. Wish it would bloody happen now.

BorisBogtrotter Tue 26-Feb-19 09:31:24

"a simple WA, that allowed both sides time to sort things out, but when we leave, we have to leave with the ability to strike our own trade deals. "

So a mythical have your cake and eat it WA.

Riigggght

mumeeee Tue 26-Feb-19 09:33:20

Revoke

Notonthestairs Tue 26-Feb-19 09:39:43

Revoke.

Quietrebel Tue 26-Feb-19 09:40:35

Leavers are too emotional about brexit. The EU may not make your heart sing but seriously, let's recognise which way our bread is buttered.

Mrsorganmorgan Tue 26-Feb-19 09:44:41

Revoke

SilverySurfer Tue 26-Feb-19 09:56:02

No deal and if you think think Leavers are going to roll over so you can cancel Brexit and stay in the EU you've got a big shock coming to you. I can just imagine if the reverse happened, no way would you accept going against the wishes of the majority who voted.

I don't think Leavers are being too emotional about Brexit, you've obviously never read the Brexit thread which is 99% wailing and whining by Remainers.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »