Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed at colleague who is constantly off sick?

(69 Posts)
sunshinefun Mon 25-Feb-19 18:15:02

I've name changed Incase I'm recognised.
I work with a lady who forever seems to be off sick.
I'm talking for weeks at a time.
We work in a large office for a multi national but our department is stretched and we all feel the pinch when it comes to sickness absence.

This woman is now off sick again and has been for about 6 weeks. As far as I'm aware no plans to come back in the near future.

The thing that is really getting to me and other colleagues is that she is running her own business via Instagram and is merry and cheery every day saying how busy she is, and is clearly working hard from home while she is off sick and we are all picking up he slack.
I've no idea why she is off. Her manager doesn't seem to be that bothered but every time I see another insta story it makes me and some of my other colleagues so mad.
We are literally breaking our backs to get things done and she's living it up, out for drinks and earning money on the side while she's getting sick pay!

MiGi777 Mon 25-Feb-19 22:30:17

BUT ITS STILL NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. Leave the poor woman alone. I feel bad for saying it because you're probably a nice person but you're being really horrible here and its not nice to see to be honest.

Mintychoc1 Mon 25-Feb-19 22:35:54

YANBU
I’d be pissed off too

kabanner Mon 25-Feb-19 22:47:33

Just let the management/HR deal with it under the policies in your workplace.

If it is impacting on your workload raise this in a non emotive way.

There will be things going on ref LTS medical capability you won't be aware of.

sunshinefun Mon 25-Feb-19 22:51:01

@MiGi777 but that's the thing, it is my business as I am picking up her slack!

I'm going to speak to the manager tomorrow, then it's out of my hands

Supersoaker10 Mon 25-Feb-19 22:53:42

YANBU at all.

I would also be annoyed.

NigellaAwesome Mon 25-Feb-19 23:09:13

I would be bringing printouts of her social media posts about her business with you when you speak to your manager.

If it's absolutely fine, and not a conflict with her being off sick, then that is for line management / HR to determine in full receipt of the facts.

Which is obviously different to her working elsewhere but them not knowing she is doing it.

It's common in my place, and a disciplinary matter, and in our place, regardless of how much OHW may say it is fine, it's not their call.

MiGi777 Tue 26-Feb-19 01:25:37

We will have to agree to disagree. Its only a debate. We are just completely different people.

shpoot Tue 26-Feb-19 01:32:01

YABU. It might be annoying but it's not your business why She's off

HistoriaTrixie Tue 26-Feb-19 01:35:31

There have been a HUGE lot of threads about coworkers off with stress lately, OP. Maybe you guys can commiserate! It definitely seems like something's been going on if so many people are having trouble.

WarpedGalaxy Tue 26-Feb-19 02:15:11

Haven’t we had this thread about 3 times now? Don’t you get tired of posting this same old petty, spiteful shit against your colleague? Why do you think the answers will be any different this time? It’s none of your business. If you really thought she was swinging the lead and if you really had concrete evidence you’d report her to hr, because of course you fucking would, but you don’t, do you?
F
It’s probably judgmental busybodies like you who caused her stress in the first place. If you don’t have cover for illness then you take that up with your employers you don’t take it out on your colleagues who are entitled to time off sick. Stop being a nasty noseyhole and get the fuck over whatever grievance you’ve got.

Justagirlwholovesaboy Tue 26-Feb-19 02:15:39

I had a member of staff off with stress and claimed bullying in the workplace as a reason. The accused bullies stalked her social media while off and came to me with complaints that she was “sick” but somehow was still able to visit family and have outings. I could not prove the bullying but could draw a line against bringing me info which has been gained fore the sole purpose to get another person into trouble. This persons manager will be in regular contact with her and will know the full story, you don’t need to know. If doing a craft or keeping an online presence helps her through each day then it only helps. My advice, stop following her on social media, you clearly aren’t friends

Coyoacan Tue 26-Feb-19 02:16:00

Personally I would just insist that you need someone to stand in for her while she is off sick.

LostInTheColonies Tue 26-Feb-19 03:36:52

We had a cracker - the colleague on sick leave was moonlighting at her previous workplace - as a TV reporter. Yes, on national TV while allegedly sick. Blatant doesn't even come close, and the most amazing thing is that she didn't lose her job as a result.

SubparOwl Tue 26-Feb-19 06:25:01

I have had a much larger than average time off sick over the last two years with two ongoing health issues plus a bout of d&v.
I am sure my colleagues roll their eyes at me.
That didn't stop me doubting one of my colleagues really needed the long term leave she was on...as she has a years long habit of being off for things not many people would think necessary.
However, I'm glad I said nothing, as it then turned out she was off because something truly terrible had happened to her.
It's really difficult because some people obviously take the mick, some have hidden issues and everything in between.
I'd stick with ranting in private outside work, pushing for cover where possible, and remaining tight-lipped on the situation while at work.

MoviesT Tue 26-Feb-19 06:34:55

Only her manager will know her situation and they won’t share it with you, even if they also have the opinion that her illness is fabricated there isn’t much they can do if they are getting fit notes through.

Your complaint should be with them if this is causing a workload issue - other peoples illness and how they are managed are something that you are best advised to keep out of.

Tennesseewhiskey Tue 26-Feb-19 06:36:48

The thing is. Whether it's the ops business or not, it can really grate.

I have a colleague off at the moment. 4th time in 6 months. I have to pick up all her work as we are the only people in the business who do that role. It pushes me off especially when she says that the days she works from home, where doesnt do anything and has a nap.

But I am choosing to keep out of it. I have been in this situation before. In another job i was due to go on mat leave. We got six months full pay. A woman came back from mat leave. She took me to one side and said I should take 6 months, come back and then go on sick, as we also got 6 months full sick pay.

I returned from mat leave and she was on sick leave, saying she had cancer, but her Facebook said otherwise. Anyway, I kept out of it then. Someone eventually reported her and she ended up getting sacked. Keeping out of it, no matter how annoying seems to be the best thing

HaudYerWheeshtYaWeeBellend Tue 26-Feb-19 06:39:26

Yabu you have no idea why she’s off, if your short staffed at work and you feel under pressure then that’s a HR issue not that of your colleague.

maddiemookins16mum Tue 26-Feb-19 06:51:11

I have a colleague who since Jan 1st is on her 5th different ‘off sick’ period, 2 or 3 days a time. I even mentioned to my DP yesterday ‘I wonder if Carmel* will be in today’. Lo and behold no Carmel yesterday. The annoying thing is she’s got two lates this week and only me, her and one other do those shifts and the other lass is off with her wains because it’s half term (no issue with that, she did them last week and me the week before). So I’m guessing by the end of today I’ll be told I’m covering Carmel’s lates on Wed/Thursday as she’ll be possibly be off still and I had plans for tomorrow night. They’ll need to make sure the cover is arranged by close of play today as I’ll start later in the morning.
Funny how she was out at a 30th on Saturday night though.
Her Bradford score was mega last year and nothing gets done.
Very poor management handling of the situation.
* Carmel is not her real name.

StealthPolarBear Tue 26-Feb-19 06:53:47

Yanbu

MaybeitsMaybelline Tue 26-Feb-19 06:57:26

I had a colleague that took a four month block every year for ten years. Yes ten! It was only when she was brought in and asked whether this “condition” would ever improve and had to start providing medical evidence of all appointments that it stopped. She knew the company was tightening up on abuse and also knew it was likely she would be let go.

Not a single absence since. Not one in four years. Go figure.

Babygrey7 Tue 26-Feb-19 06:58:34

I had a boss like this

She worked the system like a pro and was full of her "rights"

I had to cover for her

It was a real eye opener for me

Not sure what you can do though

Monty27 Tue 26-Feb-19 06:58:39

@Thesinisterdiagram
Your post got me welling up.
Some people are beyond looking outside of their own little world. sad

Boobiliboobiliboo Tue 26-Feb-19 07:03:05

At least half of the fault in most of these stories is with weak managers who are afraid of tackling/discussing/managing problem staff absence.

Siriismyonlyfriend Tue 26-Feb-19 07:14:59

I understand how frustrating it must be for you op. It’s hard on members of staff to have to pick up the extra work , usually with no extra pay or even a thanks from their boss/management.

Yabbers Tue 26-Feb-19 07:34:09

I would love to know the secret medical cure that means people are miraculously back in work after 6 months
For many it means returning to work before they are actually well enough or not being able to afford to live. Until you are in that situation you have no idea.

but that's the thing, it is my business as I am picking up her slack!
That still doesn’t make it your business. Your company needs to ensure workloads are covered when people are off sick. Instead of indulging in petty envy at her perceived advantages, speak to your boss only about your concerns over workload. To approach it with the intent of getting the colleague in to trouble, telling tales, is spiteful and childish.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »