Talk

Advanced search

to ask whether anyone actually uses a steamer rather than an iron?

(21 Posts)
TwinMummy1510 Wed 27-Feb-19 13:49:32

Aaaah I got confused! I thought you meant a presser - my mum hasn't used a handheld iron in years but uses this big presser thing which is ridiculously fast in smoothing out clothes.

But as this is about steamers, just ignore me... 😅 As you were.... 😅

GiveMeSteam Wed 27-Feb-19 13:43:03

Thanks for all the comments! I bought a small one, just got to buy some distilled water and I’ll try it out.

Processedpea Mon 25-Feb-19 19:45:18

So much quicker and great for delicates

lottielady Mon 25-Feb-19 19:39:50

Guess what I’ve just ordered blush

WidoWanky Mon 25-Feb-19 19:39:01

I like ironing😆 so i wouldnt do away with it. I have a steam generator iron. Best of both worlds. Can steam the lighter fabrics, but some of the heavier stuff (my bedding...) still get the old iron treatment!

storminabuttercup Mon 25-Feb-19 19:38:30

Woah hold on? I can get creases out without ironing? Is it quicker? Sorry to hijack but I really need to know how this works!

Processedpea Mon 25-Feb-19 19:31:34

I have a tefal one from Argos it's great esp for freshening up clothes for ebaying

BirdieInTheHand Mon 25-Feb-19 19:30:29

Not instead of washing but I steam pretty much all my clothes instead of ironing.

FurryDogMother Mon 25-Feb-19 19:28:49

I've got the same one as Banging and I love it too - haven't ironed since the 70s, but sometimes need creases to drop out. It works a treat smile

StoneofDestiny Mon 25-Feb-19 19:23:28

Thank you Banging. Helpful

BangingOn Mon 25-Feb-19 18:55:43

This is the one I have. I’d definitely recommend it.

StoneofDestiny Mon 25-Feb-19 18:44:01

Can anybody say what their great cheap steamer is called and where to buy it?

Bufferingkisses Mon 25-Feb-19 18:14:23

Yep, so much better than an iron. My iron is now in the spider playground shed!

LaPampa Mon 25-Feb-19 18:13:57

I used one when visiting a friend in NYC and was converted. Much better than an iron

Pinkginxx Mon 25-Feb-19 18:13:16

I leave shirts hanging above the bath and that does the job lovely if that counts 😂

Rtmhwales Mon 25-Feb-19 18:06:37

I do. Haven't ironed in years. Even super creased dress shirts look immaculate after a once over with a £10 handheld steamer.

EspressoPatronum Mon 25-Feb-19 18:03:10

Me! Cannot be faffed ironing...

Cheeeeislifenow Mon 25-Feb-19 18:02:07

I use an industrial steamer in our charity shop and it also cleans them too. It's brilliant, I am thinking of getting a small household one.

kmc1111 Mon 25-Feb-19 17:25:10

I do. It works really well at getting out little creases. I still use an iron when I want to look really polished, but for everyday work clothes the steamer is great.

BangingOn Mon 25-Feb-19 16:47:10

I bought a small, cheap handheld travel steamer last year for a wedding we were attending overseas as I didn’t trust hotel irons with our outfits. It is brilliant and I never use a regular iron now.

GiveMeSteam Mon 25-Feb-19 16:41:39

I've been reading here and there about people using domestic hand steamers to give clothes a quick 'freshen up' rather than washing (I mean for something like a jumper that hasn't been worn next to the skin), and that they can be a good alternative to ironing for things that aren't very creased. Could this possibly be true? Does anyone actually do it?

(No comments asking why I care if things are creased please; personally I'm not bothered, but my job requires me to look fairly put together and I've never managed to make a shirt look decent without an actual iron. I can't go to work looking like I've slept in my clothes.)

I'm interested in opinions before I actually take the plunge and buy a steamer. It won't be a professional one like the type I see them use in the shops, so I'm wondering whether it's worth the effort.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »