Talk

Advanced search

So should we be worried, re: unusually warm weather?

(116 Posts)
MotherToMany Mon 25-Feb-19 16:02:24

Should we be buying air conditioning units in preparation for the a 40c summer?

It was 25c in my car earlier.

I put the air con on in FEBRUARY!

Anyone else slightly freaked out?

MotherToMany Mon 25-Feb-19 16:03:30

Not sure where that random 'the' came from!

SmarmyMrMime Mon 25-Feb-19 16:04:43

Being -6oC or so this week last year didn't mean it was a cold summer.

I'd be more worried that the best weather will be over by April and the rest of the summer will be a damp squib!

MrsTerryPratcett Mon 25-Feb-19 16:06:32

We should be worried about all the massively unseasonable weather we get. It's a sign of things to come.

And don't put the a/c on, you're causing the issues!

tirisfalpumpkin Mon 25-Feb-19 16:07:10

I think we should be generally worried about the changing climate - but not so much about specific unseasonal hot days in February. There have been weird weather events forever. It’s trends we should be concerned about, like how many of the hottest summers on record have occurred in the past 30 years.

dearohdearohdear9 Mon 25-Feb-19 16:07:51

If the el nino tends to cause very hot weather in your area then the answer is yes from me as its on its way.

lanclass1 Mon 25-Feb-19 16:08:57

The weatherman said that this is the first time we have temperatures this warm in winter since 'xxx' and gave a date (which I've now forgotten) of decades ago so it's not the first time it's happened which makes me feel better

CallMeWoman Mon 25-Feb-19 16:09:09

I'm worried there will be a cold snap soon, and all the blossoming plants will be destroyed and the pollinators will be killed off.

Something like this happened a few years ago and our plum tree didn't have any fruit that summer.

PaulHollywoodsSexGut Mon 25-Feb-19 16:09:30

I would honestly recommend anyone looking to have a cheap outside sunshine wedding to do it third week of Feb now, no joke.

My Google throwback pics show it was sunny and 17°+ in 2016 and 2017.

2018 saw the “Beast from the East” but it was well warm just before that (because all my fucking snowdrops died).

Our weather is getting odder. It can only be climate change.

formerbabe Mon 25-Feb-19 16:11:56

It's very odd really. I briefly considered putting my DC in their summer uniform today

BarbaraofSevillle Mon 25-Feb-19 16:12:05

I'm worried there will be a cold snap soon, and all the blossoming plants will be destroyed and the pollinators will be killed off

^^ This, and all the birds, animals and insects will have been thinking that's it's spring for the last few weeks, so they'll have been merrily making babies, that will die if we get a cold snap just after they've been born in late March/early April.

AuntieStella Mon 25-Feb-19 16:14:07

The emissions from aircon worsen the whole bally issue.
A fan would be less hostile.

Just think - this time last year we were beginning to chatter about impending snow, as Beast from the East was inbound.

Bellasorellaa Mon 25-Feb-19 16:18:59

you put the air con on really?

MyBreadIsEggy Mon 25-Feb-19 16:21:13

I’m dreading the summer full stop. Even a normal, 20-odd degree summer is going to be a challenge when my third trimester will be in full swing 🤢 I’ll be like a waddling, sweaty, whale blush

UniversalTruth Mon 25-Feb-19 16:22:31

I think OP means the air con in her car - is this still bad for environment? I thought it just decreased power in the car but I'm happy to be corrected

WhistlingWalrus Mon 25-Feb-19 16:31:03

I am freaking freezing here, oop North. its 13C that is NOT warm at all

Springwalk Mon 25-Feb-19 16:31:34

I have sun burn!!

In south west and it is 18c and yes I am totally freaked out and beginning to think they have a very valid point about climate change....

kateclarke Mon 25-Feb-19 16:34:37

I’m worried about the trends in temperatures.

I feel it won’t be taken seriously by most until it’s too late.

BeverlyHillsCop Mon 25-Feb-19 16:35:09

It’s 16 in the SE and people are dressing as if it’s full blown summer whilst I still wear my coat as mornings are still cold.... it’s still February and no doubt the cold weather will be back.

Blessingsdragon1 Mon 25-Feb-19 16:41:06

If your not taking climate change seriously by now there really isn't much hope

samsamsamsamsamsam Mon 25-Feb-19 16:41:28

I had a really hard time this summer (I hate the heat) so much so that it made my anxiety terrible and I was on the verge, so I sincerely hope not!

averystrangeweek Mon 25-Feb-19 16:45:51

Well I had to scrape ice off my car this morning, but apparently today is the warmest February day on record.

RockyFlintstone Mon 25-Feb-19 16:48:56

Yes I had to scrape my car this morning, but then it was boiling by lunchtime.

There was a girl in Tesco with shorts and a vest top on, which I did think was a little ambitious!

user1498572889 Mon 25-Feb-19 16:55:48

I am ecstatic it’s warm and sunny. I’ve been a miserable bitch since November.

Skyejuly Mon 25-Feb-19 16:58:45

It has been hot in February before.

I love it x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »