Talk

Advanced search

eBay proof of postage

(25 Posts)
CountingFireflies Mon 25-Feb-19 15:42:49

Hi guys
I bought something from eBay on the 11th of Feb. Seller provided proof of postage reference because I still haven't received it. It's not a tracking number that shows a signature or the actual address she sent it to. But on Royal Mail it says "delivered." I've tried to attach a photo.
Any idea whether I should still open a dispute? I have really good feedback, I'm an honest buyer, but it's irritating because I genuinely haven't received the item. For all I know she's sent me proof of postage for someone else's item (as the address doesn't show). Any ideas?

CountingFireflies Mon 25-Feb-19 15:48:26

Update: I've checked with Royal Mail and they confirmed it was sent to my post code.
Is it just a case of I suck it up and lose the money I paid?

I can try and claim form Royal Mail but I'd need seller name and address, and they don't have to provide me with that. So if she said no I'd be stuffed

FallenSky Mon 25-Feb-19 15:52:38

Did it have a signature? Personally I'd take it back up with the seller, if seller refuses to play ball then I'd open a case with ebay.

Mammajay Mon 25-Feb-19 15:55:19

I think the seller needs to take this up with royal mail.

CountingFireflies Mon 25-Feb-19 15:55:30

Hi, no it didn't have a signature.
I'm just a bit gutted. Wasn't expensive but money's tight at the minute!
I'll go back to the seller but as it's showing delivered I assume I'd lose an eBay dispute.

CountingFireflies Mon 25-Feb-19 15:56:03

@Mammajay I asked her to, but she just provided me with the proof of postage reference. And since it says delivered she won't do any more

13thWarriorWitch Mon 25-Feb-19 15:57:49

Open a dispute. You have nothing to lose and eBay often side with the buyer regardless.

Barrenfieldoffucks Mon 25-Feb-19 15:58:21

I had this, I raised a case but they found in the seller's favour because the tracking said delivered. I pointed out that it had no signature, so how did they know where it went?

CountingFireflies Mon 25-Feb-19 16:01:36

That's a shame. She's obviously posted it, but as the buyer unless she provides me with her details I have no way to claiming the money back.

FallenSky Mon 25-Feb-19 16:05:09

I can understand why they may not want to give you their name and address, although if they buy as well on ebay they obviously give it out then! But, I don't see why the seller wouldn't chase it up with RM themselves. Bit of a ball ache but I'd feel terrible if I posted something and the buyer never received it and would have no problem contacting RM to figure out where the parcel may be.

You might have a tough time with ebay because the tracking says delivered but worth a shot.

ThanksForAllTheFish Mon 25-Feb-19 16:11:45

Have you checked with your neighbours? Sometimes a few houses/ streets share the same postcode and it’s possible someone has taken it in for you. Ask around and if you get a chance to speak to the postman ask him too if he’s put a parcel for you in with a neighbour. Failing that double check with your local collection office. I had 4 parcels not arrive last summer (when my regular postman was on holiday), and they had all been marked as delivered. I went to the collection office on the off chance and all 4 were sitting there waiting on me. I didn’t get a single card through the door either to let me know they couldn’t deliver.

CountingFireflies Mon 25-Feb-19 16:15:18

Phoned my local post office and they've not got anything. I checked with neighbours.. nada!
I suppose from the sellers point of view she thinks it's delivered, for all she knows I could be scamming her, so why would she waste time chasing up Royal Mail.

slashlover Mon 25-Feb-19 16:15:31

Have you asked around neighbours etc? Is there anywhere it could be sitting in a 'safe place'? Your seller needs to open a dispute with RM.

CountingFireflies Mon 25-Feb-19 16:16:44

@slashlover no I'm in a block of flats, no safe place. I've asked neighbours!

I know I'd like the seller to check with Royal Mail, but as it's showing as delivered, I can see why she wouldn't bother.

redwoodmazza Mon 25-Feb-19 16:21:33

Open a dispute as soon as possible or you may be time barred.

alwaysthepessimist Mon 25-Feb-19 16:23:38

did you pay through paypal? I think you can claim it back through them but you would have to look into it

makeanewname13 Mon 25-Feb-19 16:55:54

I've been in the same position recently but as the seller. I sent something recorded delivery which was delivered and signed for according to the RM website. Pic uploaded of a signature and everything. Buyer got in touch to say they never received it. I explained I had proof of delivery but would try and claim through RM anyway.

I opened a claim against RM (I think only the poster can do this, not the recipient). It took 2 mins to claim and within a week or so I had a cheque for the postage and value of the item. I then refunded my buyer.

Ask your seller to do the same. If they're legit then surely there's no harm in them trying?

Good luck!

LilQueenie Mon 25-Feb-19 17:02:08

check with neighbours then open a dispute. its up the to seller to send recorded to cover themselves.

Papillon45 Mon 25-Feb-19 17:15:35

Have you checked with your neighbours? After checking with them I’d open a dispute if they don’t have it. The seller will probably end up being out of pocket if the parcel’s gone missing and they didn’t pay for a tracker delivery. Either way though you have paid for an item you didn’t receive so I’d start a dispute. Maybe send a message to the buyer to say you can from the info they’ve provided that it’s been sent, but you’ve opened a dispute as it hasn’t been received.

CountingFireflies Mon 25-Feb-19 17:31:14

I know I can open a dispute.. I'm not sure if I'd win based on the fact Royal Mail says it's delivered, even though it hasn't been.

19lottie82 Mon 25-Feb-19 17:38:21

You won’t win a dispute as the item has proof of delivery, BUT if you keep at eBay (appeal the decision) they MIGHT refund you as a goodwill gesture.

Another option is to play super nice with the seller and ask for them to dispute the delivery with a Royal Mail, they may compensate her for the loss if she insists it’s not been delivered.

ginghamstarfish Mon 25-Feb-19 17:53:39

I'm sure it's the seller's responsibility until it's delivered - but in this case you need to open a dispute with ebay. If there's any argument about it say you need to see the signature which was obtained on delivery ....

Myimaginarycathasfleas Mon 25-Feb-19 20:16:42

The seller is the one who has the contract with the delivery service so only they can chase it up. It's not good enough to expect you to do the leg work to locate an item you've paid for.

I sent an item which apparently never arrived despite me having proof of postage. I refunded the buyer in full without quibbling. They should do the same for you.

Open a case.

DontDribbleOnTheCarpet Mon 25-Feb-19 20:52:30

You won't get anywhere with a case, especially if the buyer has already uploaded the tracking number. You might be able to pester eBay into giving you a no fault refund, but as far as the (limited) evidence is concerned, the item has been delivered.

RM can check the GPS data to see where it was delivered, but it can be a job to persuade them that they should. Putting the seller's back up by opening a dispute will just mean an end to them helping you at all.

If there's any argument about it say you need to see the signature which was obtained on delivery
no signature is required to prove a low value delivery. This is the case for both PayPal and eBay disputes.

There does seem to be a problem with packages being scanned at sorting offices and mistakenly marked as delivered, but in those cases the parcel will turn up in a day or two. This seems much more like it has been delivered to the wrong address, maybe a street with a similar name, or a reversed house number. I assume you've checked that the address it was sent to is correct (sometimes where there has been a change of address in the past, the checkout address will default to the earlier one, or a buyer forgets that the last address they used was to send a gift to a relative or something).

Gth1234 Wed 27-Feb-19 10:59:43

Slightly different. I have bought several expensive items on ebay - jewellery and watches, and always make sure I pay for signed and tracked. Despite this, the RM hardly ever get a signature. The postman leaves expensive items semi-hidden outside the door, and in one case, half pushed through the letter box. We aren't isolated, but equally people don't walk past our front door, and we have never lost anything. I would much prefer they took it back to the post office and made me pick it up to be honest. Might the postman have just left it outside your door, and someone else then happened upon it.

Note that we never have this with Amazon, or other carriers, only RM. Other carriers always get a signature. I bought a (expensive) watchstrap this week delivered in a small envelope but DPD still rang the bell and got a signature, and a name also,.

I always use click and collect with ebay if possible, as I know Argos will be in!

I would follow this up with EBay. You ought to be able to ascertain the carrier at the very least.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: