Talk

Advanced search

To be this thick?

(198 Posts)
NoShitHemlock Mon 25-Feb-19 15:01:29

Obviously having a (completely) lazy day including several cups of coffee and a good nose around MN when I noticed "TIA" at the end of a post. Not the first time I have noticed this, and I thought "Cor - that Tia gets around a bit - turning into a bit of a prolific poster. It's a bit odd she keeps putting her name at the bottom of her posts tho....."

And then the penny dropped.

TIA
or for you lovely ladies who are just as daft as I am...
Thanks In Advance grin

NoIsACompleteAnswerSometimes Wed 27-Feb-19 07:57:55

Like a pp, this is mumsnet unrelated but similar.
When Play Station 1 came out, around the time dinosaurs were roaming the earth and I was young, I thought it was to do with train sets. (Play STATION, train STATION, you can see the connection?)
My friend said her dh was up playing all night, I idly commented that I didn't realise her dh liked trains! Oh the shame.

Happynow001 Wed 27-Feb-19 08:57:41

Re marking your place in a thread. I read from my phone and just do a slide right to left on the screen and just bookmark the thread using the "bookmark" emblem.

ralfeesmum Wed 27-Feb-19 11:26:52

You're not on your own by any means - having a conversation (or trying to!) with someone who peppers their speech with "trendy" acronyms is very, very wearing.

I'd love to ask "eh?", "y'what?" and "erm....?" but I'm too much of a coward.

ForensicAccountant Wed 27-Feb-19 14:24:19

Just trying to top all the stupidity.

This happened in the good old offline days when I came to this lovely country (English not my first language).

At that time newsagents used to have small ads in the windows and I saw a fair few written in Polish.

And there used to be a sign next door

=========
DANGER
---------
HAZCHEM
=========

I never thought about it, but it was obvious to me that Hazchem must be Polish for Danger. It even looks the part.

In the following 20 years or so I used to see the sign a lot around various parts of the country and would always think: Must be a lot of Polish people around here, too.

One day we were taking our pet to the vet and it has this sign outside and my dc asked me what it meant.

Suddenly I thought WTF and the lightbulb finally switched on right there and then.

SpringForEver Wed 27-Feb-19 16:03:54

bump - Bring Up My Post

Graphista Wed 27-Feb-19 16:40:02

MiGi777 😂 yea spectrum was my first computer. My first office job used an electric typewriter! The next did use a computer but pre-Windows and green on black screen which fucked my eyesight, dot matrix printer too and adding machine (I wonder how many on mn even know what that is!) gradually email and Windows and msoffice came in and I developed my skills accordingly.

But it does amuse me certain computer things that eg dd thinks her generation "invented"

I'm pm'ing you a wee story too outing to make public

Happynow001 Wed 27-Feb-19 17:31:15

Graphista: remember telex?

caughtinanet Wed 27-Feb-19 17:43:20

Graphista - I had a job, not even my first one where there were comptometer women (and they were all women) who spent a large part of their days using adding machines.

NoShitHemlock Wed 27-Feb-19 20:56:35

@MiGi777 I LMFAO @ your post - I am absolutely without a doubt turning into my dad!

Having said that, I am the techy one at home (not that anyone would believe it) and I work in a fairly techy job too. And I can do alllll the emoticons (emojis are too "woke" for me) using shortcuts. Beat that you newbies!

Aridane Wed 27-Feb-19 23:57:02

bump - Bring Up My Post

OMFG - how did I not know this??

Graphista Thu 28-Feb-19 00:02:18

Yep remember telex

Graphista Thu 28-Feb-19 00:04:14

I'd have loved that job using adding machines bloody love adding machines!

Didn't love playing "hunt the penny I'm out by"

Anyone who's worked in accounting will have felt my pain!

Large amounts are easy to find, anoints divisible by other numbers are easy to find but if you're out by a penny the next 2 days are screwed!!!!! grin

SpringForEver Thu 28-Feb-19 18:31:51

Aridane bump - Bring Up My Post

OMFG - how did I not know this??

Another old one from the Ebay boards grin.

MiGi777 Thu 28-Feb-19 22:57:42

@NoShitHemlock
Haha, scary!! Its all crept up on me lately, I used to always be able to get by but sometimes now my brain melts and I just haven't got a clue!!
What is "woke???"!!!!!!

NoShitHemlock Thu 28-Feb-19 23:48:13

@MiGi777 dont tell anyone but I dont actually know - I think its young'un speak for trendy - will have to ask DD, but seeing as how she laughs at me for saying "same" (with full sarcasm) and "mood" (although thats more like a "MUUUUUUUM" in disgust), she might not actually tell me in case I start to use it to piss her off

TitsAndTomatoes Fri 01-Mar-19 00:05:37

I spent almost a year thinking HTH meant 'hand to hold'

Oh and CM had a different meaning on aibu compared to the conception board 😂

(Childminder usually on here, on conception its Cervical Mucus!)

HaveYouSeentheWritingontheWall Fri 01-Mar-19 00:58:11

lmfao

MiGi777 Fri 01-Mar-19 05:07:42

@NoShitHemlock
Aaaawww I know. My son never used slang but my eldest daughter, she made me laugh with "sick" "pen" and all that. I used to say "Where is that in the Oxford thank you!" And I'd stop her speaking like it in the house or around me basically. Especially when they all started saying "blad this and blad that" it sounded ridiculous. My youngest 6,has started saying "yeet" now and I can't remember what it means. It sounds really cute though so I haven't told her off yet!! Oh and both my twins have started saying "Hi Peeps!" And "Bye peeps!" I've never been cool but I've never been as backwards as I am now with all the new stuff!! The funniest bit is me trying to explain something new to my own parents, the eldest two just die laughing and I say "well you explain it then!"

NakedAvenger Fri 01-Mar-19 05:09:34

I thought STBXH was 'shoot the bastard ex husband' confused

MiGi777 Fri 01-Mar-19 05:10:30

Hand to Hold makes sense! I'm dying at cervical mucus!!
Someone on here said they thought lol was lots of love and so did I for years. I'd always put that at the end of my texts and NOONE corrected me! "Oh I'm sorry you have the flu, laugh out loud."Brilliant. 🤔

MissedTheBoatAgain Fri 01-Mar-19 05:38:54

I am not sure what AIBU means

sashh Fri 01-Mar-19 06:15:08

One of my colleagues saw this in a reply to her and thought the email was being signed off by a different person and that someone else had accessed that person's mailbox!

A couple of years ago one police force in the Ireland couldn't understand how Prawo Jazdy was getting so many speeding and parking fines in so many different cars and in different places. Eventually a Polish speaker joined the force and informed them that it is the polish phrase for driving licence.

MiGi777 Fri 01-Mar-19 07:36:50

@NakedAvenger
No it's "stab" definitely Stab!!! 😬
@MissedTheBoatAgain
Am I being unreasonable? I'm not asking!! That is what it means!!!!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »