Talk

Advanced search

To be this thick?

(198 Posts)
NoShitHemlock Mon 25-Feb-19 15:01:29

Obviously having a (completely) lazy day including several cups of coffee and a good nose around MN when I noticed "TIA" at the end of a post. Not the first time I have noticed this, and I thought "Cor - that Tia gets around a bit - turning into a bit of a prolific poster. It's a bit odd she keeps putting her name at the bottom of her posts tho....."

And then the penny dropped.

TIA
or for you lovely ladies who are just as daft as I am...
Thanks In Advance grin

CaptainButtock Mon 25-Feb-19 16:33:56

Ooh while we’re at it...could someone decipher ‘piv’ (In relation to sex) and also ‘pfb’ or ‘pbf’ in relation to babies?
Ta smile

StealthPolarBear Mon 25-Feb-19 16:34:50

Penis in vagina
Precious first born

Asta19 Mon 25-Feb-19 16:34:55

Penis in vagina
Precious first born
I think!

MereDintofPandiculation Mon 25-Feb-19 16:36:38

HTH means "hope that helps", hth Sometimes used in a genuinely helpful way, like RocketMan just has, but often used as a sarcastic extra kick in the teeth, as in "Yes, YABU, you are behaving like a selfish arse, HTH"

"KR" is one I've noticed recently as a sign off. Also "Best"

Aridane Mon 25-Feb-19 16:39:11

HTH is a passive aggressive. 'hope is helps' insult. So when an OP posts a question, or starts a discussion, someone will reply with a bald statement and end it with HTH.

So for example someone posting about a recipe for a particular dish and a poster replies back saying 'curry is rank - HTH'.

NunoGoncalves Mon 25-Feb-19 16:39:17

I work for a large multinational organisation which is HO in an EU country, not the UK.

In the spirit of the thread, it took me a while to figure out what your HO meant here. Especially as you used it as a verb!

NoShitHemlock Mon 25-Feb-19 16:41:03

@MereDintofPandiculation I have to be honest If someone signed off at work with "KR" or "Best" I would be fairly filling up the swear jar.

haverhill Mon 25-Feb-19 16:43:01

My friend thought that ONO after the price of a house meant OH NO! So expensive!!
She was only a teenager at the time to be fair.

pigsDOfly Mon 25-Feb-19 16:45:28

I was on here for ages before I found out what HTH meant.

Also it was a very long time before I was able to work out how to use the Smilies below. Looking at them now it's so obvious but at the time I just didn't get it blush - just to prove I really do know.

CaptainButtock Mon 25-Feb-19 16:47:01

Aaaaah!! Thanks Stealth and Asta x

Littlebluebird123 Mon 25-Feb-19 16:47:41

Oh! I've always posted hth as a genuine hoping I've helped rather than passive aggressive thing. Maybe people have been thinking I'm quite sarky when I'm not. blush

Roussette Mon 25-Feb-19 16:48:07

When I first joined I thought writing "bump" on a thread, any thread, was a pregnancy announcement

This made me roar with laughter and because I have a really bad cough/chest infection, the laughter turned into a Not Nice Incident.

ONO, OhNo, is prolonging incident grin

labazsisgoingmad Mon 25-Feb-19 16:52:07

is there somewhere that lists the abbreviations used on MN? i think i have worked lots of them out but some still defeat me confused

ImportantWater Mon 25-Feb-19 16:53:48

I remember watching the London Marathon for the first time and hearing "Martin Smith, 34 year old vet", "Joanne James, 56 year old vet" and thinking goodness, there are a lot of vets taking part, I wonder if there is something about looking after animals that makes you a good runner.

It meant veteran. They had all run the marathon before.

ALongHardWinter Mon 25-Feb-19 16:56:01

I used to think that 'TA' stood for 'Territorial Army' rather than 'Teaching Assistant'. grin

cheesemongery Mon 25-Feb-19 16:58:09

I've only ever seen pfb on argumentative threads - thought is must mean your perfect fucking baby! Sorry!

Took me a while to understand why people would post a . or an f then realised it was just to follow the thread (why not click follow?)

No idea what Q is.

Somebody once posted jk, and I could not see the relevance to Jeremy Kyle whatsoever.

Gone4Good Mon 25-Feb-19 16:59:17

It's not thick to not understand all the abbreviations on MN. I find them annoying and often give up on threads where there a lot of them.

MumsNet would be well advised to ask people to stop using them. I'm sure if there were no abbreviations here MumsNet readership/traffic would increase.

stiypasi Figure that one out. Or hdylta?

StealthPolarBear Mon 25-Feb-19 16:59:23

I am always a bit amazed at the number of children with cerebral palsy. They I realise cp stands for chicken pox sad

PuppyMonkey Mon 25-Feb-19 16:59:34

I come from the very distant past, where if somebody wrote “Lol” on the internet, I thought they meant “lots of love.”

Aridane Mon 25-Feb-19 17:00:10

I see to think Dr exclusively mean a medical doctor and was surprised at just how many people in the corporate world were ex medics ...

GrandmaSharksDentures Mon 25-Feb-19 17:01:37

"Q" is used as a placemarking in posts - so the poster can find where they had read to.

Aridane Mon 25-Feb-19 17:01:49

cheese you don't need to post a . to follow a thread. You can just do this <as if bymagic>

Aridane Mon 25-Feb-19 17:01:58

Aridane Mon 25-Feb-19 17:02:09

Aridane Mon 25-Feb-19 17:02:25

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »