Talk

Advanced search

To ask for your post vomiting diet for DC?

(13 Posts)
meow1989 Mon 25-Feb-19 14:59:58

Short version: what will your DC eat after a bug and what will help bulk out stools? Not a poo troll!

Long version: My DS is 8 months and has had his first bug sad Saturday night was bloody awful and ended up on the children's ward having vomited 11 times in 2 hours and going pale and floppy, thank goodness he perked up and tolerated his fluid challenge so we came home. He's not been sick since sat night but now has very icky mucousy sweet smelling poos envy not envy!

The dr at the hospital said to avoid all dairy yesterday so he had dioralyte to drink and dry toast and pasta (the dr did suggest pasta with salt to add taste and I nearly had a mumsnetty heart attack at the suggestion! That's lighthearted to be clear).

Today he's very tired but cheery and active when awake but not really into food - had a banana for breakfast and has just turned his nose up at toast with cashew butter (trying to limit dairy a bit still, he has had 2 bottles of formula today). I'm going to try him with some stewed apple now but if that doesn't work I'm a bit stuck. I also want to try and help his loose stools as bit, anyone have any suggestions? I've got meals in freezer like vegetable soup and chicken stew but don't know if these will be a bit rich?

saxatablesalt Mon 25-Feb-19 15:00:31

BRAT diet. Banana, rice (plain), apple sauce, toast.

meow1989 Mon 25-Feb-19 15:03:50

Thank you. Hes only wanting the banana though

thaegumathteth Mon 25-Feb-19 15:06:01

Tbh I give them anything that isn’t too rich.

flamingofridays Mon 25-Feb-19 15:09:06

ds just got over a sickness bug, he had toast, banana, dry cereal for a couple days. He was fine with anything after that.

I would just avoid dairy & anything really acidic!

saxatablesalt Mon 25-Feb-19 15:15:26

That's ok OP, if he only wants banana. Whatever he wants is fine. My DS barely eats after a sick bug. He just got over one last week and he ate 1 rice cake and 1 banana the whole day.

dementedpixie Mon 25-Feb-19 15:17:57

Anything carb rich will do. Don't need to limit to BRAT. Nhs says to still give milk feeds

OlennasWimple Mon 25-Feb-19 15:18:13

Banana
Rice / rice cake
Plain crackers

Basically dull, plain stuff

Hope he feels better soon

meow1989 Mon 25-Feb-19 15:26:13

Hes just had 4 melty sticks for lunch, think he thinks hes won the lottery little rascal!

user1471426142 Mon 25-Feb-19 16:27:21

We had something similar with my toddler but the sickness lasted a few more days and it was horrid. Plain pasta was the only thing that really stayed down for a day then white bread and bananas.

She had visibly lost a ton of weight and the Dr said once she could eat ok she needed to really up her calories. She then had a week of gorging on food like a teenage boy. It was almost like she knew she needed to make up food but my god I’ve never seen a little one eat so much. She returned to normal after that so expect a week of slightly weird eating.

AmIRightOrAMeringue Mon 25-Feb-19 17:43:43

I did rice with a bit of dessicated coconut and a pinch of salt for taste but still very gentle on the tummy and sweet enough for them to be interested

Also mashed potato but mine wouldn't touch it!

lau888 Mon 25-Feb-19 17:55:17

Dry carbs; toast, crackers, rusks, rice cakes, etc. You cannot realistically avoid dairy though - whether it's formula or you - as baby is under 1 year old. Hope he feels better soon. x

Missmarplesknitting Mon 25-Feb-19 17:58:03

Dry Cheerios. Bit of sugar, salt and carbs.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »