Talk

Advanced search

Conformity stifles imagination & limits success, but does it make people happy?

(10 Posts)
BlackBagTheBorderBinLiner Mon 25-Feb-19 13:19:04

We're in a small market town, lots of local businesses and the sense of social heirachy is strong. It all feels a bit stifling & often not as happy as it should.

echt Mon 25-Feb-19 13:20:15

Do you live in Ambridge?

PlainSpeakingStraightTalking Mon 25-Feb-19 13:21:48

What is your AIBU ?

ChickeningOut Mon 25-Feb-19 13:22:00

What do you mean by conformity?

GregoryPeckingDuck Mon 25-Feb-19 13:23:07

It gives a lot of people a sense of security and belonging I suppose.

BlackBagTheBorderBinLiner Mon 25-Feb-19 13:44:58

I think I mean, the middle aged parents generally wear the same brands, the kids do the same clubs. There's a lot of fairly miserable looking kids playing rugby or swimming who'd rather be doing yoga or hill walking.
Lots of mums wearing FatFace & White Stuff talking wistfully about their 'wild' fashion 20s.
The odd rebel is tolerated to a point but only just. Does fitting in, conforming, feel safe because it does n't look happy.

echt Mon 25-Feb-19 14:24:32

Maybe those are the only sports available. How do you know the kids would rather be doing yoga or hill walking?

As for the clothes...you seems to be sneering at them. What's your style?

Arowana Mon 25-Feb-19 14:28:55

OP, it sounds like you should move to a bigger city?

PBo83 Mon 25-Feb-19 14:34:18

So which of the expensive Suffolk villages do you live in then? I'll take a punt on Woodbridge!

BogstandardBelle Mon 25-Feb-19 18:45:02

For some people, it does. Keeping up with the Jones, wearing the “right” uniform and ticking all the boxes of doing the “right” activities tells them that they’ve made it, they fit in etc. Where I’m from, making sure your boy-children have longish hair is one of the strongest social statements to make about the tribe you aspire to ;-) it’s part of a uniform.

For others it is stifling. It’s one of the reasons why I left my small village and now live in a big, anonymous city.

Are you the rebellious one?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »