Talk

Advanced search

To wonder how I’m going to help DH lose weight!

(40 Posts)
Helpmepleasenow48 Mon 25-Feb-19 13:06:10

I’ve not posted in the diet forums yet...
My DH needs to lose at least 3 stone.
He’s 48 and also smokes, though he’s just got a vape thingy.
Basically he eats too much, we don’t have much junk food and our indulgence is a weekly take away. The rest of the time we mostly cook from scratch.
For example yesterday at breakfast he had four slices of toast.
He’s asked me to cook some no carb stuff as he wants to try Michael Moseley’s blood group/fast diet which starts off at 800 calories a day for a few weeks.
I don’t need to lose weight. I’m 5ft 8 and weigh just under 10 stone - I do loads of exercise but not to lose weight, so I need my carbs.
My husband did start a diet but after a week gave up.
He looks very bloated and not healthy - it breaks my heart.

Seaweed42 Mon 25-Feb-19 15:05:29

He's pushing it back on you again. Here's his Plan:
(1) get her to cook me some stuff to make me lose weight
(2) get her to buy me a book
(3) eat an apple while I flick through the book
(4) better wait till Monday because I'm going out on Thursday night anyway
(5) use the book as a table mat

Helpmepleasenow48 Mon 25-Feb-19 15:09:14

Yes I agree reading all your comments he does need to accept a bit more responsibility. For example I haven’t bought any biscuits sweets crisps etc but found a packet from the kids selection stocking. It had three small bars of chocolate in which I kept aside for my DC as a treat. He somehow found it and snaffled them all in one go when we had all gone to bed!

MrsTerryPratcett Mon 25-Feb-19 15:16:36

DH and I did Dry January. He likes beer more than I like wine. He would want to cheat and say things like, "what will you say if I have a beer?". He CHOSE to do DJ, I didn't make him. But this is the nonsense he reverts to. So I say things like, "I'm not your mother, do what you like".

Same with your DH and the chocolate. He wants to eat the chocolate and now it's become a secret vice. He's putting this on you.

You can support him. But he has to actually want to change and commit to change. If he makes it your issue, then it's your fault if he fails.

IM0GEN Mon 25-Feb-19 15:25:13

That sounds like my STBXH.

It became a way for him to avoid all personal responsibility for his health. He’s sneak out to buy chocolate after dinner, then whine

“ I had to I was STARVING. How can you expect me to be full after that rabbit food”

“ it’s ok for you, you like vegetables. Why are you forcing me to eat that muck? “

“ I hate X , I’ll get a carry out “ ( the meal he has asked me to cook)

Basically he turned into a spoilt whiny teenager. All his resentment and anger about his weight was turned towards me because I was MAKING him do things he didn’t want to. If he was hungry it was MY FAULT. He enjoyed getting one up on me by sabotaging his diet at every turn.

If I bought treats for the kids, it was my fault he had to eat them all. If I didn’t buy treats for the kids, it was my fault they had none. If I didn’t buy treats but Let the kids buy them on the way home from school, he would sulk and harass the children until they gave him some.

He eventually lost about one stone of the ?? 5 or 6 he had to. But then he became even more angry because, according to him, it didn’t make any difference . I’m not sure what he expected to happen - maybe Hollywood arrive with a film contact or a super model ravish him in the street.

So he put the weight back on to spite me. Now he tells people that he tried to diet but it didn’t work. It’s bollocks, he never tried at all. The only person who worked at it and who was invested in it was me.

AbbieLexie Mon 25-Feb-19 15:31:05

Not sure how relevant but we started by adding extra beans and lentils to all our main courses to bulk up our meals. We ended up eating smaller portions.

TalkinPeece Mon 25-Feb-19 16:24:13

Helpme
Until he decides to lose weight, you are wasting your time and effort.

Yonks ago there was a wonderful study that nearly half of all pork pies were bought in cash by a person who had just paid for a large shop on a card .....

secret eating is really common

BarbaraofSevillle Mon 25-Feb-19 16:47:54

What is he eating for lunch and snacks while out of the house at work and what does he plan to eat for breakfast instead of 4 slices of toast, which will not feature regularly in any healthy eating or diet plan.

You could be making him something healthy and delicious for dinner every day but it will all be a waste of time and effort if he's getting coffee and pastries on the way to work, and then buying his lunch from McDonalds, Greggs, KFC, supermarkets etc because most options are unhealthy and very calorific, unless you choose very carefully.

Iamboudicca Mon 25-Feb-19 16:56:37

The Michael Mosley 5:2 worked for me and the Mediterean diet was enjoyed by DH too ( although he didn’t need to loose weight) just changed the balance of our meals - more carbs for DH more veg/salads for me. Felt healthy doing it and it was pretty managable. It did take. bit of planning for - I found changing my shopping habits hardest and it did raise our food bills quite a bit.

I decided to take a break after 3 months ( and 10 kgs) but after 6 months the weight is beginning to creep back as I go back to my old habits so I’ll be getting back on the blood sugar waggon - tomorrow? Definately doable and far more successful ( for me) than WW or SW.

Papillon45 Mon 25-Feb-19 17:30:42

I’d recommend Slimming World and ask around for recommendations for the best group x

Helpmepleasenow48 Wed 27-Feb-19 09:08:58

I've now read a lot of the MM BSD and it looks doable for me - in fact I could do with cutting out sugar mainly for my IBS - which seems to get better when I don't eat any of it.
Asked my DSis for advice and she told e I was obsessed with looks and fitness! Which was not helpful!

MrsTerryPratcett Wed 27-Feb-19 14:45:21

I could do with cutting out sugar mainly for my IBS - which seems to get better when I don't eat any of it.

I've been low-carbing for two months and haven't had one incident of IBS. The only twinge was when I tried konjac noodles. Other than that, completely fine.

EmeraldShamrock Wed 27-Feb-19 15:02:26

It depends on his attitude, I helped by DP by cooking sw hearty currys with lots of veg and slimming world chips, he could eat bacon eggs beans tomatoes for breakfast he likes to fill up, as soon as he had to take over himself he put on 3 stone, the 2 heist plus an extra.
It has effected the relationship because of his lack of willpower, excessive eating.
Unfortunately you can't help your DH unless he really wants to change.

Helpmepleasenow48 Wed 27-Feb-19 15:34:38

mrsterry how sugar free/carb free did you go?
Did you cut out alcohol as well.

MrsTerryPratcett Wed 27-Feb-19 15:39:05

None for the first few weeks, now limited. Zero fruit and carbs mainly from green vegetables and some dairy.

Helpmepleasenow48 Wed 27-Feb-19 19:47:41

On another thread someone mentioned carb flu?!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »