Talk

Advanced search

Potty mouth

(6 Posts)
Home77 Mon 25-Feb-19 10:38:54

Hmm. not sure but wondered what you thought. Children visiting run off to teach swear words to your DC. Mum says 'oh, they've got a real potty mouth!' How to tackle? Recently another child was suspended from school for swearing at a teacher, and not keen on DC's swearing.

PhilomenaButterfly Mon 25-Feb-19 10:40:36

I'd tell the child "we don't use that word in our house."

MammaMia19 Mon 25-Feb-19 10:41:29

I don't think you can stop the kid doing it but tell the teacher and ask your child to tell the teacher when it happens too.
I would just drill it in your kids head to never repeat anything this child tells them and its not nice to swear etc

AssassinatedBeauty Mon 25-Feb-19 10:47:07

If the parents won't do anything then it's tricky unless you want to get into a potential confrontation with them. You could try the "no swearing in this house, thank you" approach if you hear it again. Then you can do damage control after they've gone, and explain to your child about why swearing isn't ok and why it's important not to use those words and especially not at school.

Home77 Mon 25-Feb-19 10:53:08

Difficult isn't it when someone else's children. I think mine will be Ok and not copy- I remember my eldest didn't want to read a book with swearing in - the Curious incident of the Dog one..I think. As said it was inappropriate. It's annoying to have this though, feels like they don;t care about others and how they feel, assuming it is 'fine'.

DoneLikeAKipper Mon 25-Feb-19 11:00:07

Difficult isn't it when someone else's children.

No it’s not, not in your own home.

‘Excuse me, we don’t swear here. I’m enjoying your mum’s company and we’d hate it if she’d had to leave early because you’ve forgotten your manners’.

How old are the kids by the way? It’s fine not to want your children to swear, but equally don’t make it such a ‘taboo’ that they don’t want to read certain books because it contains some profanity. It’s a normal part of language and it’s a shame to limited oneself on the bases of ‘it contains naughty words, I won’t bother with it’.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »