Talk

Advanced search

Was this an inappropriate present?

(17 Posts)
Home77 Mon 25-Feb-19 09:25:15

To gift a mum of toddlers one of the funny "Why Mummy Drinks" type books for a birthday?

I did this and now thinking was not a good idea. What do you think, would that be annoying or appropriate?

MrsWillGardner Mon 25-Feb-19 09:26:31

Has the mother suggested anything that makes you think this?

Merchantgirl Mon 25-Feb-19 09:28:14

I’d think it was funny but I suppose you would need to know the person fairly well for it to be funny and not weird!

MatildaTheCat Mon 25-Feb-19 09:30:57

Eh? It’s a novel not a self help book for alcoholics. If you think she’d enjoy a lightweight read that’s well written then go for it. I’d probably throw in a bottle of wine. smile

Anique105 Mon 25-Feb-19 09:31:58

Do you know her well enough?

MargoLovebutter Mon 25-Feb-19 09:33:49

Of course not! It's an amusing book about parenthood, not a course of classes with Alcoholics Anonymous!!!!!

Seriously, its fine.

Home77 Mon 25-Feb-19 09:36:28

Oh good. I do know her quite well. She was being a bit serious and taking it to heart, and I have older children, thought it might help her realise we all find it hard at that stage!

No, nothing said just no mention of it either so wasn't sure.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Mon 25-Feb-19 09:53:39

I think it's fine! And it often helps people to know that others struggle with phases of parenthood too.

Springwalk Mon 25-Feb-19 09:59:11

It was one of the funniest books I have ever read, so no I dont think you have made a mistake. I bought one for my friend as well one year.

I actually wet myself reading it, as in properly. It is hilarious. Make sure she make the time time to read it is my only advice.

Home77 Mon 25-Feb-19 09:59:31

Oh good.

GrapesAndCheese Mon 25-Feb-19 10:01:29

I guess it's one of those 'know your audience' books. Personally I wouldn't be offended at all and it sounds like something I'd really enjoy reading.

Hunter037 Mon 25-Feb-19 10:05:32

I wouldn't want it (as mum of a toddler) but I wouldn't be offended as such. If you know the person well and its the sort of thing they would like I dont think its innappropriate

TheOrigFV45 Mon 25-Feb-19 10:41:06

I wouldn't like it, but if you were my friend, you would know that.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Mon 25-Feb-19 11:09:50

Well it depends. If you've been mates with her since you were little and she has a brilliant sense of humour. No it isn't inappropriate.
If Shes a five minute mate with zero sense of humour. I'm afraid the answer could be 'yes'.

outpinked Mon 25-Feb-19 11:11:12

If you know it’s her humour then it’s absolutely fine. It’s not everyone’s taste but some people really like it.

waterandlemonjuice Mon 25-Feb-19 11:14:09

It's fine but I also think you are over thinking this! It really isn't at all important in the scheme of things smile

SleepingStandingUp Mon 25-Feb-19 11:14:37

It's fine, I'm sure even if she wouldn't buy it she'd get you were trying to gift her laughter and perspective.

I was hoping it was like "DMil broke up with DFIL so I bought her a vibrato for her birthday" level of inappropaiete

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »