Talk

Advanced search

To be so happy for Olivia Coleman?

(269 Posts)
Ohfuxx Mon 25-Feb-19 09:22:36

I don't give 2 shiney shits about the Oscars, who wins, what they wear. It's just not something I've ever had an interest in.

Having said that I saw Olivia Coleman won best Lead Actress and watched the accompanying video.

I'm so pleased for her. It obviously means a lot to her and she is one of Britain's greatest actresses who has really done a great slog to get where she is and I've enjoyed so many of her shows and films.

Congratulations Olivia.

pinkyredrose Mon 25-Feb-19 09:24:21

Totally agree with you. Her speech was awesome, totally 'her'. Sp pleased for her!

LaurieMarlow Mon 25-Feb-19 09:25:45

I loved her speech. An amazing win.

Now I can’t wait to see her in The Crown.

southeastdweller Mon 25-Feb-19 09:26:07

Loved the speech but I'm no fan. Thought Glenn Close gave the best performance in that category and would have been a much more deserving winner, personally.

IvanaPee Mon 25-Feb-19 09:26:11

She’s wonderful and I’m thrilled for her. I think it should have gone to Melissa McCarthy but only because that role is so beyond what she does.

Delighted for Olivia though and she looked beautiful!

GunpowderGelatine Mon 25-Feb-19 09:26:21

I agree. I love her, it's a long overdue accolade.

IvanaPee Mon 25-Feb-19 09:26:38

Totally forgetting Glenn Close! She was amazing!

whitehorsesdonotlie Mon 25-Feb-19 09:27:59

I absolutely loved Glenn Close in The Wife, and I really feel for her - 7 nominations but no win?

I haven't seen Olivia Coleman's performance so can't comment on that, but I like her as an actress generally.

Snapespeare Mon 25-Feb-19 09:29:55

Olivia Coleman as Queen Anne talking about her bunnies in the favourite made me weep. She's outstanding. National treasure. Absolutely adore her.

Bungalowbeth Mon 25-Feb-19 09:30:30

She grates on me so much. I was gutted to wake up and see Glenn Close hadn’t won,

LaurieFairyCake Mon 25-Feb-19 09:34:16

I'm so utterly chuffed for her, she looked so genuinely happy

She looks a bit like Judy Garland in a couple of the photos

So pleased to see the women dressed so elegantly

MuffinMad Mon 25-Feb-19 09:39:55

I remember seeing Olivia in an episode of Jimmy McGovern's series 'Moving On' some time ago.
I'd never seen her before and I remember one scene at the end where she was arguing with another woman on a doorstep. Her acting was so good, I've never forgotten it.

The episode was something to do with someone's son,drugs and a hairdressers.

Wish I could find it to watch again.

I think she's brilliant.

DaphneduM Mon 25-Feb-19 09:40:17

Can't stand her - so fake. All that faux humility. Sorry that Glenn Close didn't win.

Calzone Mon 25-Feb-19 09:41:18

I missed The Wife at the cinema.

Love OC though.

IvanaPee Mon 25-Feb-19 09:41:36

Isn’t Glenn Glose the most nominated actor without a win? That’s not fair

southeastdweller Mon 25-Feb-19 09:43:19

The most nominated living actor, yes, with seven nominations. Really thought she had it in the bag this time.

Buddyelf Mon 25-Feb-19 09:46:13

I really like Olivia Coleman I think she’s great but having seen The Favourite I can’t understand an Oscar win for it. The film wasn’t great and if anything Emma Stone should have been up for the leading actress.

derxa Mon 25-Feb-19 09:47:04

All that faux humility Yes that what I thought. What was all that 'I worked as a cleaner' rubbish?
Colman was born in Norwich, Norfolk, the daughter of Mary (Leakey), a nurse, and Keith Colman, a chartered surveyor.[5][6][7] She was privately educated at Norwich High School for Girls and Gresham's School, Holt
Woman of the people...not.

bridgetreilly Mon 25-Feb-19 09:47:34

Colman.
Colman.
Colman.

She's won a bloody Oscar. Can we please start spelling her name right?

joyfullittlehippo Mon 25-Feb-19 09:47:40

I’ve worked with her and she’s not fake at all. In person she’s even more modest and awkward (not in a bad way) than she comes across in interviews.

AdoraBell Mon 25-Feb-19 09:51:47

😁 I think she’s a fantastic actor.

Isitme13 Mon 25-Feb-19 09:52:46

Private school and working as a cleaner aren’t mutually exclusive confused

I was privately educated. I also worked as a cleaner for several years (amongst other poorly regarded jobs). Neither defines me. Isn’t it time we let go of ridiculous stereotypes?

hellojason Mon 25-Feb-19 09:53:48

Olivia is a brilliant actor and seems like a nice person (don't think she's fake at all!) so I'm really pleased for her even though I didn't like The Favourite that much. I expect Glenn Close will have her day.

Deadringer Mon 25-Feb-19 09:55:07

I love her and am thrilled for her. I do feel for Glen Close though, it must be so disappointing for her to miss out again.

Whisky2014 Mon 25-Feb-19 09:55:38

There's something about her I can't warm to. Seems fake or something I can't put my finger on. Although, I did like her in peepshow.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: