Talk

Advanced search

M&S have rejected my 5-star review as unpublishable

(64 Posts)
LarkDescending Mon 25-Feb-19 08:26:46

Before anyone points it out, I am aware this is by no means an end of the world issue, but I confess I am scratching my head here.

I bought some jeans from M&S - my first new jeans in a while, as I have very painful abdominal scarring from recent surgery, which makes it difficult to wear anything with a waistband.

They needed to be comfortable. They are. I was pleased - so much so that I submitted a 5-star online review, as follows:

Brilliant jeans

Really pleased with these - they live up to their billing of softness, stretch and fabulous fit & comfort. Outstanding value for money. Unfortunately I have been too slow off the blocks to get a second pair in a different colour, as they are so popular and currently sold out. Will keep checking back though.

I subsequently got an email saying, to my surprise, this had been rejected as unpublishable by reference to the relevant guidelines. An inquiry to customer services has not yielded enlightenment - the emailed response says “Please be reassured that we don’t reject negative reviews but we do have some rules about writing them...we may refuse to publish any reviews that contain any wording that could be viewed as offensive”.

AIBU to be baffled? What am I missing?

BarbaraofSevillle Mon 25-Feb-19 10:42:53

OP, were they the 'best ever fit jeans' for £19.50?

They came in last Monday and already the skinnies are completely sold out on the website and the other two styles low stock in most sizes and colours confused. I wonder if they will be getting more in? I bet they won't because they never seem to do so.

I know they came in last Monday because the Sunday before I went to the local (huge, out of town) M&S and managed to find some other jeans (mid rise skinny, also £19.50 and pretty nice) in my size and I bought a pair, but I wanted them in another colour too, so I looked on the website to find they had none.

So I went back on Monday, only to find that the jeans section had been completely rearranged, with the new jeans in stock. Happily for me, the jeans I wanted had appeared in the colour and size I wanted (miracles do happen) but I never even looked at these magic, bargainous new jeans on the one day of the year where I could have had my pick of colours, styles and sizes. sad.

And now it seems, just one week later, that my chance for 'best ever jeans' has gone forever.

Gth1234 Mon 25-Feb-19 10:52:44

It seems strange, but I shouldn't worry about it.

GahWhatever Mon 25-Feb-19 11:12:57

21 word review of product followed by 32 word review of availability.

Resubmit abou thte jeans only and you'll be fine.

Namechangedbecauseiwantto Mon 25-Feb-19 11:21:24

I can't comment on the review, but thanks for the info, I struggle with jeans due to having reflux, so I've ordered a pair 🙂.

LarkDescending Mon 25-Feb-19 11:59:51

@BarbaraofSevillle yes they are in the "best ever fit" range and bargainous indeed at £19.50. I'd hope they plan to replenish out-of-stock sizes, as otherwise selling out one week after the big launch would rank high in Merchandising Own-Goals of the Year. We shall see!

(I really am not on commission).

Lightson Wed 27-Feb-19 06:48:06

Thanks op after 5 years of living in jeggings I’ve finally found some comfortable jeans , I bought 3 pairs.

MaybeitsMaybelline Wed 27-Feb-19 06:52:20

A gave a negative review about a lamp, and they published that. I am waiting to see if they publish the one I just wrote about a lidded basket that didn’t have a lid!

SabineUndine Wed 27-Feb-19 06:55:24

I wonder if it's an automated system scanning the review and it thinks 'blocks' is suspect.

BrizzleMint Wed 27-Feb-19 07:11:15

@butchyrestingface

There's certainly nothing offensive there but I wonder if they don't like the fact you've said their product has sold out? <gropes>

Is that bollocks or straws that you are clutching at?

GreenOliveOrBlackOlive Wed 27-Feb-19 07:20:50

M&S are often out of stock of sizes/colours. If (that’s a big ‘if’ tbh) I can find something I like, sure as anything they don’t have my size 🙄
I just lose interest and rarely look at the site nowadays.

Prometheus Wed 27-Feb-19 07:29:13

M&S blocked my review of a pair of slippers! Nothing inappropriate in it so no idea why. I re-typed it, re-submitted it word for word and it was accepted.

CSIblonde Wed 27-Feb-19 09:14:02

The sold out thing makes them look like they have supply & demand /stock issues.

BarbaraofSevillle Wed 27-Feb-19 09:17:24

The website is now showing that the skinnies are back in stock, but the others are more or less out of stock unless you are a size 6 or 24.

ALongHardWinter Wed 27-Feb-19 19:02:32

The only reason I can think of is that they didn't like you saying that they were out of stock of something. Ridiculous I know,but I know that some shops get SO touchy about having this pointed out,to the extent that I have actually been told in certain stores when enquiring if they have a certain item (which I know they usually have) that it's 'been discontinued'! Madness. (I know it's NOT been discontinued,because a week later,there it is again!).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »