Talk

Advanced search

Toddler won't poo in the toilet!

(32 Posts)
Ashana Sun 24-Feb-19 23:34:06

I started potty training my 2.11 month old on Friday and over the weekend he has completely grasped it. He will happily go for a wee whenever I take him and will even ask to go if he feels the need. I feel really proud of him.

My only problem is that since Friday he hasn't had a poo. He usually has a poo once a day but since Friday there has been nothing! A few times today I could tell he wanted to poo but when I sat him on the potty he held it in and just wouldn't let go. At one point I even shouted at him and now I feel so bad.

I really don't want to put him off going to the toilet and don't know what to do. I've tried to bribe him and all sorts but nothing seems to work. I even offered to put a nappy on him just so he could poo in it but I think now he's even scared to go in the nappy!

Any help would be appreciated please.

Auntiepatricia Sun 24-Feb-19 23:37:26

Tell him that the poo wants to come out and go down the toilet to find it’s poo parents. 😐

When he looks like he needs to go get him on the toilet and to blow bubbles.

Give him a mobile phone to watch and relax on the toilet.

Sing a poo poo song.

If he keeps holding it for days, and believe me they can hold it for weeks, get s movicol prescription pronto. The last thing you need is hard, constipated pops hurting him when he does go.

GreenTulips Sun 24-Feb-19 23:37:46

We had a magazine in the bathroom with stickers in

If he sat of the toilet he could have the magazine and get stickers

Once they do it once they realise nothing bad happens

He also go a gift from the pop fairy delivered to the door step! Just to make a connection

Tweety1981 Sun 24-Feb-19 23:38:16

Common problem .

Tweety1981 Sun 24-Feb-19 23:38:39

Lol @ poo poo song

Yesmate Sun 24-Feb-19 23:38:59

My DS was exactly the same. Took about a week to get the whole poo on the potty thing. It’s sinetgubg to do with the weird feeling. In the nappy it’s close to their bud but on the potty it’s like something heavy is falling out of them. Does that make sense?
Don’t panic, he will get it. I also shouted if it makes you feel better, he was desperate and ran off and did it behind the table!

keepforgettingmyusername Sun 24-Feb-19 23:40:04

'In the nappy it’s close to their bud but on the potty it’s like something heavy is falling out of them. Does that make sense?'

They don't seem to mind the falling out sensation when they're doing a jobby on the living room rug

TheFatberg Sun 24-Feb-19 23:40:09

Get the poo goes to pooland app

Ashana Sun 24-Feb-19 23:42:57

Thanks guys.

Looks like I will just have to persevere.

I have literally tried everything, from singing and dancing to dangling his favourite sweets in front of him but he's so stubborn he just won't let go! He gets really upset and it makes me feel even worse.

GreenTulips Sun 24-Feb-19 23:43:27

hey don't seem to mind the falling out sensation when they're doing a jobby on the living room rug

So true! LOL

Yesmate Sun 24-Feb-19 23:43:49

Mine still cried when he did it in the carpet, he hated the feeling but that poo could not be held in any longer

Ashana Sun 24-Feb-19 23:45:52

Yes and to make matters worse he's even refusing to do it in his nappy now. I'm just going to have to persevere.

Auntiepatricia Sun 24-Feb-19 23:45:56

(Currently googling that app, we haven’t cracked this problem yet and it’s been a year but she did start with a fissure after getting constipated).

feeona123 Sun 24-Feb-19 23:46:52

We’re over 4 months in and the poo’s are still hit and miss!!

Got the wee’s pretty much instantly but would happily poo himself than go on the toilet!

Got a poo on the toilet tonight so we are getting somewhere but I know it can be a poo in the pants tomorrow again.

It just takes time....LOTS!! 🙈

Lizzie48 Sun 24-Feb-19 23:47:57

We used to find that jumping on our trampoline used to cause any poo to come out. If you don't have one, then just get him jumping up and down? Put him in pull-ups/nappy, as he won't get to the potty in time initially.

WelcomeToGreenvale Mon 25-Feb-19 02:04:38

Don't shout at him! He'll go when he goes whether that's on the floor or in the toilet. Don't put him back in a nappy for it, if he's weeing on the toilet consistently then he also should be starting to poo in it.

I've seen results with sitting on the toilet or potty with a phone or tablet watching something they love but don't get to watch all the time. It relaxes them. If he feels pressured he definitely will be holding it, would you want to shit with someone shouting at you to just shit, just do it, just do a poo?!

It feels weird to do it outside the nappy and tbh he's probably not scared to do it in the nappy, he's clenched up long enough that he might now be a bit blocked up. If it carries on there are otc remedies for constipation or your doctor can help.

Blueuggboots Mon 25-Feb-19 02:06:56

We had to promise my son goldfish.....still took weeks!

TheseThingsAreFunAndFunIsGood Mon 25-Feb-19 02:10:49

Seconding (or thirding?) Poo Goes to Poland. DD had similar issue, gave her this to watch on my mobile while on the loo a couple times... Solved no problems! We just watched the video on YouTube not seen the app.

YourEggnogIsBetterThanMine Mon 25-Feb-19 02:15:52

My older two both requested nappies for poo for months after potty training. Peeing was fine but poo was different. My eldest was 3y3m before she would poo on the loo.

LostSunshine Mon 25-Feb-19 05:46:28

You could also try putting something small down the loo and try to poo on it. Making a big silly joke of it, very upbeat and fun like a game. Raisins worked for us.

RUOKHUN Mon 25-Feb-19 05:54:28

Poo goes to Pooland is genius! Recommended highly!!

MaverickSnoopy Mon 25-Feb-19 06:07:01

When I was potty training mine she wouldn't poo at all. I was giving her a bath one day and she just went for it. I think it was the warm water or something. Then the next time she did do it on the potty but it took about an hour running back and forth convincing herself that she really did need to go.

Birdsgottafly Mon 25-Feb-19 06:11:13

I'd advice that you put a pull up back on and let him poo in that.

Only because I've known a few children to end up needing to be on movocol and to be back in pull-up, because they have constipation over flow.

Some children are more stubborn than others and withholding can become a medical issue.

Fizzytonicplease Mon 25-Feb-19 06:25:50

When we potty trained DS at 2, we used to count the plops and see if he could beat the amount each time lol

Rosebud21 Mon 25-Feb-19 06:40:55

@Ashana, try the ERIC website, they have information & online resources for bowel & bladder issues, including potty training.
www.eric.org.uk/parents-and-carers

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »