Talk

Advanced search

MURPHY beds or wall beds

(17 Posts)
Grumpasaurus Sun 24-Feb-19 22:35:50

We're moving house this week and thinking of how best to create a room that is a playroom most of the time, and guest room sometime. Has anyone ever used a wall bed? Experiences / cost?

CSIblonde Sun 24-Feb-19 22:54:42

Friend had one in old flat. Around £500 (but that was a few years ago). It was comfy and looked like a big white cupboard. I wish I'd had one when in a huge studio flat. I could have done so much more with the layout.

Adeste Sun 24-Feb-19 22:57:43

We have a sofa bed in our playroom. Gets well used by the dc as well as doting gps when they visit and it gets well used as a sick bed and a guest bed too.

Grumpasaurus Sun 24-Feb-19 23:25:16

CSI that's what I was hoping. I don't want a sofa bed as they are just sooooo uncomfortable! And we don't really need a sofa in that room, we want it to be more of a playroom. Xx

Grumpasaurus Mon 25-Feb-19 11:27:39

Just reinvigorating this for the morning crowd :-)

NataliaOsipova Mon 25-Feb-19 11:29:51

We had one - great for 7 years and then it fell to pieces and can’t get the company that installed it to come and fix it. Cost £5k to boot....!

steppemum Mon 25-Feb-19 11:30:14

sofa beds can be comfortable, if you get a good one!

Damntheman Mon 25-Feb-19 11:36:38

I have a sofa bed that's aaaalmost more comfortable than my actual bed! It's possible, but they cost a fair bit.

My parents had two wall/murphy beds in my sister's room when we were growing up. They did the job and looked nice! Either solution I think will work wonderfully.

Grumpasaurus Mon 25-Feb-19 19:51:50

The other issue with the sofa bed is that we don't necessarily need a sofa in that room, as 95% of the time it will be a playroom. I like the idea of building storage around the daybed so it functions like that as well, though 5K scares me a bit!!!

@Damntheman what company did you use if you don't mind me asking?

Grumpasaurus Mon 25-Feb-19 19:52:43

Sorry- the company query was directed @NataliaOsipova

@Damntheman which Sofa bed do you have?

user1473878824 Mon 25-Feb-19 21:43:15

Loaf have some cool looking footstool type things that turn into beds and the top is a headboard - I am desperate for one despite not having room for it! loaf.com/products/bed-in-button

Damntheman Mon 25-Feb-19 21:53:00

OP I'm afraid I'm in Norway so saying Skeidar won't be particularly useful to you. They so exist though!

Then again. I also rather like the Murphy beds so there is that smile

Hohofortherobbers Mon 25-Feb-19 22:02:28

I've slept on this and it's comfy. More practical as it has a lot of storage underneath

Hohofortherobbers Mon 25-Feb-19 22:02:39

Guest Beds & Fold Up Beds - IKEA
https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/beds/guest-beds-day-beds/

Grumpasaurus Mon 25-Feb-19 22:05:12

Oh thanks everyone!!

PeachPotato Mon 25-Feb-19 22:08:17

We sleep on a Murphy bed at the in laws. Very comfy and practical but does mean keeping the floor space clear. We like having a sofa in the playroom for reading together and watching kids play but probably depends on age of kids!

Grumpasaurus Thu 28-Feb-19 22:44:21

We do have a loaf DIGS daybed so perhaps we will just make room for that... seems silly to pay twice and with a mattress topper it's surprisingly comfortable.

Also, as pp mentioned, offers more room for reading :-). And could do some taller storage units for toys...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: