Talk

Advanced search

Posting for traffic - agency work SSP

(6 Posts)
LMW1990 Sun 24-Feb-19 21:50:59

Hi All,

Wondering if any wise minds might know the answer!

I have been working for an organisation via an agency for 8 weeks. They have just extended my contract for at least another 4 weeks.

Last week I was off sick. My illness began at the weekend and I usually only work Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday. I was not able to go in for any of these days.

I have checked the handbook/ contract but no reference is made to SSP. Would I be entitled.

I understand that the first 3 days of illness are 'wait days' - does this still count even if they are non working day?

I will be back in this week but the deadline for payroll for this coming week is tomorrow so I'm trying to find out what I need to do.

TIA

BlueSkyBurningBright Sun 24-Feb-19 21:57:32

You are entitled to SSP working through an employment agency, as long as you are paid via PAYE.

The first three days you are off sick you will not be entitled to SSP. After that SSP does pay. So if you only had three days off work, in my experience you would not be paid for them. You will have accrued a few days holiday, so you can ask to be paid for them.

LMW1990 Sun 24-Feb-19 22:04:52

Thanks @BlueSkyBurningBright

I get paid holiday pay in with my usual pay.

I think I'm getting my 3 waiting days and 4 days (even non working) mixed up! Thank you

LMW1990 Sun 24-Feb-19 22:06:44

Oh Wait:

SSP is not payable for the first 3 QDs in a PIW - these are called Waiting days (WDs). They are not always the first 3 days of the sickness absence as the employee may be sick on non-QDs, for example weekends.

This seems to suggest that waiting days maybe non qualifying days? That's from the .gov website

BlueSkyBurningBright Sun 24-Feb-19 22:08:37

You could try and ask them if you are entitled, but I am pretty sure you don't get paid for the first 3 working days.

It is all automated now.

LMW1990 Sun 24-Feb-19 22:12:30

I've just re-read it and get what it's saying now...

What a minefield! Thanks for your help x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: