Talk

Advanced search

To book a wedding venue without a proper dance floor?

(32 Posts)
MintCassis Sun 24-Feb-19 19:33:50

We found our perfect venue yesterday. In budget, available when we need it, beautiful and exactly what we need in every way - except the reception room doesn't have a dance floor.

I think the space will be big enough for people to have a dance but pretty sure it won't be roomy enough for a ceilidh for 55 adults.

This isn't a huge problem in itself but I'm worried about the guests enjoying themselves. We wouldn't hesitate to book if it wasn't for being unsure what to do in the evening. The most comparable venue on our list is £20K more and we really can't afford that, especially just for the sake of a few dances.

Would you book a wedding venue without a dance floor? Or if you've been to a wedding without much dancing what other entertainment was provided?

Please help us decide whether to go ahead and confirm tomorrow confused

Hunter037 Sun 24-Feb-19 19:36:02

I would book it. We had a band at our wedding but the weather was lovely so at least half the guests were outside not listening/dancing anyway!

babycatcher411 Sun 24-Feb-19 19:36:53

Definitely. I don’t think it will have that much of an impact on the night, in my experience the vast majority of people actually don’t get up and dance anyway.
Is there any other space away from the tables people can go?

Di11y Sun 24-Feb-19 19:37:20

how much to hire a floor?

HerculesMulligan Sun 24-Feb-19 19:38:13

Have you priced up hiring a temporary dance floor? would there be room?

MintCassis Sun 24-Feb-19 19:55:41

I hadn't thought of hiring a dance floor! We'd need to check with the venue but that could be a solution!!

Glad to hear it may not be important to guests. It'll be July and the garden is lovely so we hoped to be able to make use of outside.

MintCassis Sun 24-Feb-19 19:57:36

The room is a funny shape so difficult to estimate the size from memory. I'll ask the venue tomorrow.

Twickerhun Sun 24-Feb-19 19:58:41

I’ve been to a couple of weddings where theee was no dancing (as both grooms hated disco style events(. They had a garden, music and a bar and chatting, to be honest it was lovely both times.

Santaclarita Sun 24-Feb-19 19:58:59

Will all 55 guests actually want to do a ceilidh? I find most hate it to be honest. Last wedding I went to that had a ceilidh it was only the younger attendees that did it, and that was only about 8 of them.

MrsAmaretto Sun 24-Feb-19 20:04:28

Are you in Scotland? I would be really surprised as a guest going to a Scottish wedding that didn’t have room for a ceildh. We discounted places as some of their “dance floors” couldn’t fit more than one set for Strip the Willow.

MintCassis Sun 24-Feb-19 20:11:29

A disco isn't our scene either, much more keen on spending time with guests and enjoying everyone's company (& hopefully warm summer weather!).

I think most people would join the ceilidh, certainly on my side. I'd need to ask DF about his family. Most of his relatives that married in the past decade have had big Scottish weddings.

MintCassis Sun 24-Feb-19 20:12:00

We are in Scotland smile

ShinyMe Sun 24-Feb-19 20:17:12

I would be quite disappointed to go to a wedding and find there was no dancing, I have to say. It's one of my favourite things about weddings.

MintCassis Sun 24-Feb-19 20:20:13

Good to hear differing opinions. I think my biggest worry is disappointing guests and everyone having an early night because of the lack of dance floor.

LagunaBubbles Sun 24-Feb-19 20:32:14

Im another one who would be disappointed if there was no dancing at a wedding, its the best bit of the party for me. I'm also in Scotland and have never been to a wedding reception with a ceilidh, it's all been DJs and bands. And no wedding in Scotland is complete (in my opinion) without the mass dance to Runrig and Loch Lomond at the end!

MintCassis Sun 24-Feb-19 21:07:20

I'd miss not being able to do Runrig at the end sad Music also keeps people and signals a clear end, bit worried about people drifting off...

JennyBlueWren Sun 24-Feb-19 21:19:00

We had our meal at a favourite venue which didn't have room for more than a postage stamp dance floor so then hired a community hall for the evening where we had our ceilidh. It was a couple of streets away so we mostly walked (DH stopped off at home to change shoes). Bought in cheap alcohol and snacks and had a free "help yourself" bar. It did add a little bit to the costs but not much and was a great atmosphere. MIL had decorated it wonderfully earlier the day before.

Pinkprincess1978 Sun 24-Feb-19 21:21:43

I have been to so many weddings where very few people have got up to dance. It's nice to have background music and be able to chat sometimes.

edwinbear Sun 24-Feb-19 21:26:20

We didn’t have dancing. We got married (in July) at 5pm, then a 6pm champagne reception with canapés and a jazz band in the garden, followed by a 4 course dinner and speeches around 7.30pm. Fireworks with sparklers for the guests at 10.30pm and people left around 11pm-11.30pm. It was lovely.

claireblueskies Sun 24-Feb-19 21:27:08

If there's no room to do a fast-paced Strip the Willow, in which the participants end up with bruises down their arms, either ditch the venue or ditch the idea of a ceilidh.

Don't try to squeeze a ceilidh into a space that's too small.

BlondeBumshelll Sun 24-Feb-19 21:27:13

I think I'd be a bit put off by nowhere to dance towards the end of the night after a few too many wines.

BUT the price difference for the other venue is too big so I'd just ask could you push a few tables back and make a little space for those who want to dance.

user1486076969 Sun 24-Feb-19 21:29:56

Weddings don't have to last in to the evening, nor do they have to be a 'sit down' event (we had a canape reception, guests knew in advance!) nor do they have to include dancing.....just sayinggrin.

MintCassis Sun 24-Feb-19 21:44:05

We could fit a small dance space so will probably go with that and music of some description.

Everyone will have been with us all day from noon ceremony, cocktails, meal and speeches (no additional evening guests). Many will be there from the Friday right through to Monday as mosts guests will be staying on site. We were thinking hot rolls/buffet around 8pm?? We just want something that will make the wedding night a bit different from Friday & Sunday get togethers (BBQ & brunch).

MrsAmaretto Sun 24-Feb-19 21:46:13

That’s a good idea, if you like the venue for food, could you hire the local village hall for your evening reception?

Fantababy Sun 24-Feb-19 21:46:53

I'm Scottish and would be disappointed if there was no ceilidh, or no space for a proper ceilidh. You know your guests better though. Are you having a band? If you are you'd need space for them.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »