Talk

Advanced search

To think that TV chefs don't get the point of takeaways?

(121 Posts)
AnguasDogCollar Sun 24-Feb-19 18:52:39

Every celebrity chef, cookbook author and blogger seems to do it at some point. The compulsory "make your own takeaway!" episode/chapter/blog. Recipes for curry, sweet and sour chicken, your own hand battered fish and chips. The reasons vary "So much CHEAPER" "So much HEALTHIER" "So much TASTIER" "So much QUICKER".

This shouldn't irritate me so much but it does. I know how to make a bloody curry. But if I don't have any food in then no, it's not quicker to go to the shop, buy all the ingredients, make it from scratch, and wash everything up afterwards.

Sometimes, people just don't feel like cooking. They're ill. They just spent ages cleaning their kitchen and can't face messing it up again. They had a rough day and are knackered. So cooking the same thing isn't going to serve the same purpose of NOT COOKING! Why do none of them seem to grasp this?!

(The exception to this is Nigella, who once did an episode where she got chips from the chippie. And put them in a wrap with hummous, but still...)

Bowchicawowow Wed 27-Feb-19 03:29:35

I cook most days. I make my own soup. I make my own cakes. I make every main meal with fresh ingredients. I very rarely eat ready made food but I do enjoy a takeaway. It is such a relief sometimes to order something which I don’t have to prepare. I helps that we live near to an excellent chippy, Thai place and curry house.

Topseyt Wed 27-Feb-19 02:02:09

Once people know how to cook, they realise their own pizza or curry is so much better

That spectacularly misses the point of the thread. I can cook and I do more often than not, but the point of a takeaway is that it is for when I just cannot be arsed. It is very nice once in a while to be paying someone else to do the preparation for me, so that all I have to do is eat and enjoy.

Comefromaway Tue 26-Feb-19 23:44:59

We have a takeaway on a Wednesday night because I have to take ds to his tutor from 5-6 so we don’t get in til 6.30 and I have to be out again by 7.20pm.

But we do more home made takeaway style meals since dh was diagnosed with a condition which gets worse if he eats salt. He really misses his mushy peas.

Quintella Tue 26-Feb-19 23:33:56

I always have a container of tomato or pumpkin soup in the freezer or eggs and herbs to make an omelette.

Don't we all. But it wouldn't really tickle my noodles when I'm craving some pad thai.

Quintella Tue 26-Feb-19 23:31:52

No one can make a thai green curry as delicious as the one from my local restaurant. Don't even bother Mae Ploying me, it cannot be done!

keepforgettingmyusername Tue 26-Feb-19 23:27:12

'you did something like put a piece of fish, few cherry tomatoes and blob of pesto in some foil'

That sounds awful confused

Ariela Tue 26-Feb-19 23:15:34

We are blessed that the nearest larger village (15 mins away) has a wonderful Italian restaurant and they do takeaway pizza. While I'm quite capable of cooking my own from scratch, I'm not Italian and I can never make it taste anywhere near as nice.

Nobody delivers here, and if they did they'd only get lost.

BarbaraofSevillle Tue 26-Feb-19 23:09:04

I suppose I'm saying that takeaways aren't the only alternative to 'not cooking' and we always seem to have loads of food in that can be made into a meal without much effort.

And I don't' feel the need to wash up straight away, so what if there's a smell, it doesn't bother me enough to feel the need to fumigate the house immediately after eating. I'll just stick the plates in the dishwasher whenever. But if you have takeaway curry, you've still got a smell and dirty plates and cutlery to deal with.

We can't get many decent takeaways delivered to us, plus they take ages, and they're generally very expensive for what they are. A lot of the time you finish them and feel a bit crap and ripped off and that it wasn't really a treat anyway.

Anyway, each to their own, but potatoes in 10-15 minutes with a crispy skin.

Turn oven on high as it will go ( about 250 C). Get your potato and microwave for 5-8 minutes depending on size of potato - a quite small one from those supermarket 4 packs takes 5 minutes. When time is up, put potato on top shelf of oven for 5 minutes. It might need turning over for another few minutes to crisp the other side, but then it's done and ready to be piled up with cheese, butter, tuna or whatever.

antipodeansun Tue 26-Feb-19 22:22:26

I'm with BarbaraofSeville. For me, even the simplest food made at home is better than most takeaways - and I always have a container of tomato or pumpkin soup in the freezer or eggs and herbs to make an omelette. We have a nice bakery nearby so I can get good bread easily.

I don't know why I dislike them; I suspect it's my tastes developed in childhood. I'm from a European country that used to be poor and I never had takeaways when growing up (very very rarely went to restaurants too).

When I moved (UK, then NZ) I used to have takeaways frequently and I loved the novelty of it, but often they didn't really agree with me and I started avoiding them. The older I am, the more I gravitate towards the food from my childhood, which is a cross of Southern European and Middle Eastern flavours.

I don't think it's about cooking skills. Both my husband and I are competent cooks (and his curries are among the nicest I've ever had) but so is my mother-in-law and she loves takeaways.

And I do like to go to restaurants, but I am fairly picky - they have to have really good food, or something I'd never make at home, and thus they're often on the expensive side and I would not order takeway and risk the food getting cold and unappetizing on the way over.

notanothernam Tue 26-Feb-19 22:21:53

@BarbaraofSevillle but fish in foil isn't quite the same as Thai food, or an Indian curry, those kinds of dishes take hours to prepare properly but the convenience of being delivered to your door, and taste better than salmon with pesto. In the context of good takeaways, I wish we had a decent Thai restaurant by us.

AnguasDogCollar Tue 26-Feb-19 21:43:22

@BarbaraofSeville Yes, but you still have to have the ingredients in in the first place. Then clean everything up afterwards (straight away if it's fish otherwise the smell is awful). And the vast majority of the time, that's what I (and most other posters) do. Buy stuff in, cook meals, clean up. But sometimes, just sometimes, for whatever reason, you don't have any food in. Or you don't want to cook or tidy up afterwards. There's nothing fundementally wrong with getting a takeaway in those circumstances, and knowing how to cook doesn't change that. And not doing so doesn't really make someone more virtuous than anyone else.

bananamonkey Tue 26-Feb-19 21:35:27

The only take away we get is Thai because the local place is bloody delicious. I cook a lot but we’re busy and sometimes you just fancy it, it’s only once every couple of months. I can make an ok green curry but I’m not making 3 different dishes + sticky rice + mixed starters and dips unless it’s a super special occasion, not the day we get back from holiday with no food in the house!

Hahaha88 Tue 26-Feb-19 21:27:57

@BarbaraofSevillle what is the perfect microwave/oven combo for a jacket??? I can't stand a microwave jacket but they take so loooong in the oven

Hahaha88 Tue 26-Feb-19 21:19:05

*I've never seen a chef say "Here's how to make a roast! After you've done it my way, I guarantee you'll never go to a carvery again!"
My partner says his family won't eat Chinese takeaway (being Chinese) as they can cook it better themselves. I have replied with I make an amazing roast dinner but it doesn't stop me going to a carvery! grin

Hahaha88 Tue 26-Feb-19 21:14:11

Oh that was @ScottChegg btw.

Hahaha88 Tue 26-Feb-19 21:12:32

The msg thing is completely true! My partner is Chinese and his parents owned a takeaway. We eat their home cooked Chinese food regularly, but it doesn't have a scratch on my Chinese takeaway especially their chicken chow mein (which I have told my partner repeatedly, to his horror lol) My in-laws don't use msg, though they did in the takeaway. We actually bought some msg

BarbaraofSevillle Tue 26-Feb-19 21:04:46

On the days I don’t feel like cooking, I just make... a simple fish dish I actually snorted a little at that one

But why? If you did something like put a piece of fish, few cherry tomatoes and blob of pesto in some foil and stuck it in the oven for however long it takes, you have about a minute's worth of easy effort and time with your feet up, that for most people will be less than the time it takes for a take away to arrive.

Or fry a few prawns in garlic and paprika and serve with crusty bread.

Steak and bagged salad - again couple of minutes of frying for a meal.

I don't count any of that as cooking because there's no chopping and no thinking/reading a recipe. It's just simple assembly.

AnguasDogCollar Tue 26-Feb-19 20:46:17

It's this assumption that all takeaway food is full of "crap" too. Sure, there are crappy takeaways out there. There are also amazing ones. A pizza place local to me does takeaway and delivery- fresh dough made on the premises every day, locally sourced ingredients, sustainable resources, massive vegan menu, and the pizzas are so much better than i could ever make or have eaten anywhere else. And you can eat them with hands, out of a box so there is absolutely no washing up whatsoever.

givemesteel Tue 26-Feb-19 20:36:38

I seem to remember Matt Ridley's opening gambit in 'the rational optimist' was about what Henry viii would make of your home set up. One thing he points out is whilst Henry viii had dozens of cooks he didn't have access to the range and diversity of food available these days.

I think that is the key with takeaways is you can switch from Chinese, Thai, Italian, Indian, Mexican, sushi... You name it from week to week. Of course you can cook these cuisines at home but the effort, money and space required to buy all the ingredients is not practical for most.

MitziK Tue 26-Feb-19 20:22:07

It's still quicker than the nearest pizza delivery place. I wouldn't bother, either, if I could eat the things that finally turn up over 90 minutes later, stone cold, grease oozing through the boxes - and had the patience to try and get refunds for all the bits they 'forget' each time we've tried.

Snuffalo Tue 26-Feb-19 20:20:07

On the days I don’t feel like cooking, I just make... a simple fish dish I actually snorted a little at that one.

Picklypickles Tue 26-Feb-19 20:14:45

I dunno, where I live the takeaways are all pretty shit and none of them deliver so it probably is quicker to make it myself!! So I'm sure its useful for some people!

keepforgettingmyusername Tue 26-Feb-19 20:03:26

@MitziK saying 'chuck in' and 'bung it in the oven' doesn't negate from the fact you have listed a long and boring process that is 10 times harder than clicking a couple of buttons and getting up to answer the door.

BarbaraofSevillle Tue 26-Feb-19 20:00:30

I don't mind cooking, but I've decided pizza is something that's not worth the time and effort, even though I use a breadmaker.

It seems to take hours and I just hate hate hate dealing with the dough, which always goes all sticky and I just can't get thin enough.

We have some great wood fired pizza takeaways and pubs in our city so that's where I go if I want pizza. Or I get a frozen one, because I like some of them.

And if I can't be arsed doing either of those, I'll have an omelette or egg on toast or a baked potato, something that takes zero time or effort (I have perfected the optimum microwave/oven combo for the potatoes).

But I'd never get it from Domino's, Pizza Hut, Papa John's etc, because they're stupidly expensive and horrible.

thatmustbenigelwiththebrie Tue 26-Feb-19 19:55:48

And we have (shock horror!) a take away once a week - on Sunday nights a) because Sundays we go mountain biking and are usually out dawn til dusk and b) stupid Sunday supermarket rules mean we can't buy any food from the shops as they're shut.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »