Talk

Advanced search

What do you wish your parents had taught you as a child?

(101 Posts)
NayYay Sun 24-Feb-19 18:51:54

There's a few things I wish my parents had taught me as a child. Some of it is really basic stuff but has had a massive impact on my life. I don't want my kids to have to go through the same.

Financial - how to budget, loans, mortgages etc
Oral hygiene- my DM had a phobia of the dentist and as a result I only ever went to the dentist twice as a child. She wouldn't let me go.
How to cook

What did you wish your parents told you about.

ItsInTheSpoon Sun 24-Feb-19 18:56:21

That not all people are nice, even if they seem so.

LaurieFairyCake Sun 24-Feb-19 18:58:01

Any extra stuff - no dance lessons, no instruments

Thingsdogetbetter Sun 24-Feb-19 18:58:45

That other people's opinions really don't matter. Irish family and obsessed with other's opinions unfortunately.

ArmchairTraveller Sun 24-Feb-19 18:58:57

No, I had all that. All the practical skills.
I wish their love had been unconditional, unrelated to exam success and achieving goals they set.

Lockheart Sun 24-Feb-19 18:59:21

That you had to push the button on the bus to get it to stop (we lived very rurally with no buses, so we never got them!). I thought it was an emergency thing, because they're big and red and say STOP on them in huge capitals.

That's not an episode my teenaged self will ever live down!

1sttimedd Sun 24-Feb-19 18:59:50

The only thing I wish my parents had taught me is a second language. However, neither of them can speak a second language themselves!

Kismetjayn Sun 24-Feb-19 18:59:53

Well, aside from the horrible stuff, practical things.

How to wash up, how to iron! How to figure out tidying up and where things should practically go. How to use a hoover.

EnglishRose13 Sun 24-Feb-19 19:00:00

Same as @LaurieFairyCake. Especially piano, or another language.

hidinginthenightgarden Sun 24-Feb-19 19:00:50

Finances.
They gave me a great work ethic but always said that I could do whatever I wanted to do. Well that's not true is it?....It has to cover the bills is the bit they missed out. That and actually how to manage money were missing from my life. Not sure if that is something you are supposed to learn through experience though?

FoggyDay58 Sun 24-Feb-19 19:01:09

How to make your own decisions and life choices without having them dictated to you.

Merryoldgoat Sun 24-Feb-19 19:01:17

How to work hard at school. I was naturally very bright, made no effort and wasn’t pushed at all. Because I did well my mum didn’t emphasise how important a work ethic was and I came unstuck at A-Levels.

I’m fine now, good job etc but the career I wanted became a distant dream because I thought I could rely on natural brightness.

It’s not her fault obviously! It’s just I was never encouraged to do more as what I did was ‘enough’ If that makes sense?

Hedgehogblues Sun 24-Feb-19 19:01:28

That girls matter as much as boys do

Dimsumlosesum Sun 24-Feb-19 19:01:51

Finances. Cleaning. Self reliance.

Aprilshowersarecomingsoon Sun 24-Feb-19 19:02:32

That education gave you more opinions.
And that all men weren't twats.
That I was worth a nice life.

smellsofelderberries Sun 24-Feb-19 19:03:05

Independence in general. Mum really suffocated me in particular and it has created a real sense of expectation in me that things need to be perfect and easy all the time (because Mum spent a lot of my childhood trying to make me happy due to various early childhood traumas).

bringincrazyback Sun 24-Feb-19 19:03:35

I wish they'd taught me to cook, and I also wish they'd taught me before I went to university that class snobbery still existed, because that came as a nasty shock.

MaFleur Sun 24-Feb-19 19:03:51

That people could be nice and it was ok to have friends.

GregoryPeckingDuck Sun 24-Feb-19 19:04:04

I wish they had pushed me to persevere a bit more (I was allowed to quit hobbies as soon as I wanted to) and I also wish they’d encouraged me to marry for money. I was so scarred by their terrible marriage that I chose my husband based on compatibility and likelihood of having a loving marriage. But he is terrible with money and it’s made life very difficult. In hind sight I would rather be financially secure and get my emotional support elsewhere.

NerrSnerr Sun 24-Feb-19 19:04:47

Personal hygiene, teeth, hair etc. Housework and gardening, they didn't really do it. It's taken me years to realise that if you want a presentable house/ garden then you need to work hard at keeping it that way.

Jenala Sun 24-Feb-19 19:04:52

The importance of saving/not getting into debt.

The importance of physical activity, I wish I'd been encouraged to take part in any sports rather than being laughed at when my 100m time was less than my mother's etc.

Disfordarkchocolate Sun 24-Feb-19 19:05:39

How to manage money.
Been more encouraging of my love of reading.
Helped me understand how to manage friendships, I just don't get it.
Overall though I had lovely parents, always did their best and were fair.

cleomummy Sun 24-Feb-19 19:06:10

How to make friends and keep them better. Not to be so sensitive and paranoid and to have self belief and to learn from mistakes.

ahhhhheckmecervix Sun 24-Feb-19 19:06:46

Self confidence and how to stand up for myself sad

NotTired Sun 24-Feb-19 19:06:57

How to swim! I learnt at secondary school but I'm still scared of deep water and going under.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »