Talk

Advanced search

To think I can just whack some fake grass straight on top of the patio?

(36 Posts)
whyohwhy35 Sun 24-Feb-19 15:25:44

House is rented and we don't envisage being here for much beyond a year (we're looking to buy). Back garden is completely covered in patio squares. I have a 4yo and crawling baby and would like to let them play out this spring/summer.

WIBU to buy some cheapish fake grass and cover the patio? I've measured up and it'd be about £70.

thatwouldbeanecumenicalmatter Tue 26-Feb-19 14:57:38

Chipbark?

Iggly Tue 26-Feb-19 14:51:44

Ok I stand corrected!

Finfintytint Mon 25-Feb-19 17:51:27

Fine, but why add plastic? Just add a rug.

jamoncrumpets Mon 25-Feb-19 17:35:22

It might be naff @Finfintytint but it's the only option in this particular property.

jamoncrumpets Mon 25-Feb-19 17:34:18

Err, I beg your beeswax @Iggly but the 4yo WILL be rolling. He's autistic and likes to fling himself all over the place.

PeterPiperPickedWrong Mon 25-Feb-19 09:40:28

Would it not just be permanently wet underneath? I would be concerned about it getting mouldy. If kids are crawling on it they would be inhaling mould spores.
I can’t see it being any comfier than a rug really.

flirtygirl Sun 24-Feb-19 22:29:41

The grass especially the thicker ones are fine for babies, we had a few play in the garden and for toddlers and kids.

flirtygirl Sun 24-Feb-19 22:28:41

I did in my old Victorian houses courtyard garden. It lasted over 5 years and is still there, they do not rot or degrade. I had it on stone paving that we had laid years before. It gave my daughter somewhere to sit and play and do cart wheels.

It also looked nice, we got quick thick plump ones like an outside mat.

Iggly Sun 24-Feb-19 22:28:30

The 4 yo won’t be rolling. Crawling baby will be crawling about.

I’d just get foam mats. The grass will feel a bit shit if you’re a crawling baby and anyway they’ll possibly be toddling by then?

TakeMe2Insanity Sun 24-Feb-19 22:27:54

We’ve done this. Our patio already had a slope for drainage. We chose a thicker ‘grass’ so we didn’t need an underlay/sand. It went down last summer and has lasted really well. We occasionally hose it down.

Knittedfairies Sun 24-Feb-19 22:27:46

I think you'd be better off buying some cheap rugs that you could throw onto the slabs on sunny days, and roll up and put away on wet days.

SweepTheHalls Sun 24-Feb-19 22:25:59

It'll cost a lot more than £70!

InterstellarGlitterBalls Sun 24-Feb-19 22:23:56

Have your thought about play mats like these OP?

Www.matsgrids.co.uk Rubber play mats

www.floormats.co.uk Outdoor rubber mats and grids

Shamoogren Sun 24-Feb-19 22:17:06

Dreadful idea! Sounds like you are going to do it! Hard, won't drain, lumpy, won't he any easier to play on, costly for something pointless and will look awful

danceyourselfsilly Sun 24-Feb-19 22:07:12

Finfintytint
I know it’s childish but your comment just makes me want to buy loads of it! I love a fad

Finfintytint Sun 24-Feb-19 19:20:16

No,why add more plastic? It’s a trend that looks a bit naff. I can see your need for something cheap, quick and easy but it is unbelievably crap and faddy.

PlainSpeakingStraightTalking Sun 24-Feb-19 19:20:11

It's a rented house, the Op cannot go ripping up the garden and installing 'stuff' … laying a removable surface if fine, if that's what you fancy. Astro turf is hard, as is concrete. Much of a muchness.

danceyourselfsilly Sun 24-Feb-19 19:14:31

Oh and watch out for slugs while rolling around... for some reason slugs liked to go for a stroll across it - i suppose with real grass you don’t notice them !?

whyohwhy35 Sun 24-Feb-19 18:12:31

We had the slabs last summer and they were rubbish. DS is more of a rolling around on the ground type.

JonSlow Sun 24-Feb-19 17:04:10

Why bother posting on here, as after just 9 minutes you impatiently decided what to do.

zzzzz Sun 24-Feb-19 16:51:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

danceyourselfsilly Sun 24-Feb-19 16:47:40

I did this in a rented property last year but it was on top of gravel. It was fine - my only slight concern would be your little DC might fall over and bang their head - but they could do that on slabs so not sure that is something to even worry about? interestingly my dog hated lying on fake grass! - he preferred to find a patch of gravel as uncomfortable as that must have been! Think it was cos it got really hot in the sun last summer and fake grass doesn’t give that cool feeling real grass does

FuckItFriday Sun 24-Feb-19 16:41:41

It'll look and feel rubbish but... sounds like you're going for it!

ATBhinchers Sun 24-Feb-19 16:39:53

Get some underlay too and it'll be lovely. Also we have some big picnic blankets off eBay which are thick but waterproof backed and are great in the garden for crawling babies on top of the grass they'd be lovely for picnics too.

PrivacyPolicyYeahRight Sun 24-Feb-19 16:38:48

It will be rock hard! But hey, worth a punt.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »