Talk

Advanced search

To think I can just whack some fake grass straight on top of the patio?

(36 Posts)
whyohwhy35 Sun 24-Feb-19 15:25:44

House is rented and we don't envisage being here for much beyond a year (we're looking to buy). Back garden is completely covered in patio squares. I have a 4yo and crawling baby and would like to let them play out this spring/summer.

WIBU to buy some cheapish fake grass and cover the patio? I've measured up and it'd be about £70.

Knittedfairies Sun 24-Feb-19 22:27:46

I think you'd be better off buying some cheap rugs that you could throw onto the slabs on sunny days, and roll up and put away on wet days.

TakeMe2Insanity Sun 24-Feb-19 22:27:54

We’ve done this. Our patio already had a slope for drainage. We chose a thicker ‘grass’ so we didn’t need an underlay/sand. It went down last summer and has lasted really well. We occasionally hose it down.

Iggly Sun 24-Feb-19 22:28:30

The 4 yo won’t be rolling. Crawling baby will be crawling about.

I’d just get foam mats. The grass will feel a bit shit if you’re a crawling baby and anyway they’ll possibly be toddling by then?

flirtygirl Sun 24-Feb-19 22:28:41

I did in my old Victorian houses courtyard garden. It lasted over 5 years and is still there, they do not rot or degrade. I had it on stone paving that we had laid years before. It gave my daughter somewhere to sit and play and do cart wheels.

It also looked nice, we got quick thick plump ones like an outside mat.

flirtygirl Sun 24-Feb-19 22:29:41

The grass especially the thicker ones are fine for babies, we had a few play in the garden and for toddlers and kids.

PeterPiperPickedWrong Mon 25-Feb-19 09:40:28

Would it not just be permanently wet underneath? I would be concerned about it getting mouldy. If kids are crawling on it they would be inhaling mould spores.
I can’t see it being any comfier than a rug really.

jamoncrumpets Mon 25-Feb-19 17:34:18

Err, I beg your beeswax @Iggly but the 4yo WILL be rolling. He's autistic and likes to fling himself all over the place.

jamoncrumpets Mon 25-Feb-19 17:35:22

It might be naff @Finfintytint but it's the only option in this particular property.

Finfintytint Mon 25-Feb-19 17:51:27

Fine, but why add plastic? Just add a rug.

Iggly Tue 26-Feb-19 14:51:44

Ok I stand corrected!

thatwouldbeanecumenicalmatter Tue 26-Feb-19 14:57:38

Chipbark?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »