Talk

Advanced search

Appalled at actions of hotel staff

(200 Posts)
Stopyourhavering64 Sun 24-Feb-19 14:06:37

Just back from spending a night in a 5* city centre hotel to visit dd at Uni.
Had a lovely meal out of hotel and came back for a drink in hotel bar ( approx 10pm) we were sitting on sofas near entrance to bar ( which is also adjacent to hotel restaurant) when dh said...there's a mouse under the sofa I was sitting on!...first of all shocked that a mouse was in hotel as floors are all tiled/ marble and no obvious signs of where it could have come from
Anyway we were merely intrigued and were watching where it went....bar staff came over to see what we were looking at...by this time dh and dd had gone to the loo, leaving me with dd's bf having a drink
Barman reappeared with 3 other members of staff, who then proceeded to hunt the mouse....( all this was happening behind our back)....there was suddenly a commotion and one of the staff stamped on the mouse - loud enough for me to hear it squeak ....by time I turned round again he'd stamped on it again ...completely sqauashed it
Dd and dh returned from loo, they missed what had occurred ( all this happened within 5 mins)
I was disgusted by hotel staff's actions but didn't feel like confronting them at the time as I was so taken aback and don't like confrontation . Bar man then came over and said would we like a complimentary drink shock...I said no thanks and said goodbyes to dd and bf and went off to room ....horrible end to a lovely day
When we were checking out dh mentioned it to staff and they said they'd mention it to management...dh uses this hotel chain for business on a regular basis ( the main reason we'd used it, as he accrues loyalty points) and is asked for feedback...he'll be taking it up with their management but wwyd in these circumstances
Obviously mice in hotel is not desirable but the actions of the staff was barbaric ...I now feel cowardly for not having said anything at the time sad

Stevienickssleeves Sun 24-Feb-19 14:08:24

What did you think they should have done? Let it roam the hotel?

SileneOliveira Sun 24-Feb-19 14:10:09

They should have sat down in a 5* manner and asked it politely to leave, obvs. hmm

Waveysnail Sun 24-Feb-19 14:10:45

Yes they should have let mouse run around hotel spreading disease hmm

girraffeduck Sun 24-Feb-19 14:11:27

They should surely have some more humane way of catching a mouse than trampling it to death

I don't think that's U to want

Amanduh Sun 24-Feb-19 14:12:44

Well mouse traps (that work) would have done the same thing

sausagerollsses Sun 24-Feb-19 14:13:37

I would be disgusted too OP. Stamping on a living creature is not acceptable in my view. They could have caught it in a humane manner.

Stopyourhavering64 Sun 24-Feb-19 14:14:17

Yes obviously mice are not acceptable, I get that 🙄....but hearing someone stamp on it , and in front of guests was maybe not the way to go about it

newmun Sun 24-Feb-19 14:14:22

You’re ridiculous

squeezysparklyballs Sun 24-Feb-19 14:15:11

It's vermin. Not the nicest way to deal with it but certainly the fastest and speed was necessary in that situation.

Toodleoopuddle Sun 24-Feb-19 14:15:15

Wow, I'm amazed that he was able to stamp on it...they're so fast. I think you're being a bit melodramatic, they would have killed it one way or another and that was probably quicker than poison.

KnopeforAmerica Sun 24-Feb-19 14:16:08

There were no children around to see it I don't see the problem. Agree with PP who said it was the same as a mousetrap. Also better than poison where it dies elsewhere in agony and once it's dead it can't breed more baby mice, spread disease etc

Cornettoninja Sun 24-Feb-19 14:16:29

That would have upset me to OP.

Mice can be caught (done it myself on numerous occasions - cheers cats) and obviously they need a longer term strategy for pest control.

I do understand that I’m particularly soppy about animals though and lots of people aren’t so I dare say the member of staff just thought he was being practical. I can see how people would happily categorise a mouse as the same as a fly.

CatinMyLap Sun 24-Feb-19 14:16:33

Yeah let’s totally leave mice to roam and breed 🙄

Look I’d like to know an effective and humane way to clear out mice but leave them and they breed like fuck and you’ve got a lot of trouble on your hands. Poison leaves them dying and smelling the walls.

Move on

edwinbear Sun 24-Feb-19 14:18:25

A colleague of mine did the exact same thing a few weeks back as we currently have them running around the office. I was grateful to him to be honest, I can’t stand the things running about under my desk.

It’s not pleasant to witness, but a hotel really can’t have mice running amok.

BuildingBackUp Sun 24-Feb-19 14:18:27

I’m obviously in the minority but I agree op!

Somehow it just needs wrong and I’m not generally a sensitive soul.

Fantababy Sun 24-Feb-19 14:19:00

That would definitely have upset me. It should have been dealt with in a more humane manner.

ivykaty44 Sun 24-Feb-19 14:19:37

A mouse trap is a slow torturous death, far better to kill the mouse outright if that’s what is going to happen.

Op what and how do you think the staff should have done?

I doubt the waiting staff have had training to deal with vermin tbh

squeezysparklyballs Sun 24-Feb-19 14:20:22

At least it was quick

WonderTweek Sun 24-Feb-19 14:20:50

I've dealt with mice in the workplace before and we would never kill them in front of customers. We all know they're vermin and get killed if they end up somewhere where they shouldn't be, but it's not something you should have to witness as a customer. It can be terribly upsetting to animal lovers (such as myself). I'd contact the hotel and suggest that they use a proper, humane pest control company or at least tell their staff not to kill them when there's customers around. We tended to catch and release anyway but we would still do it discreetly as faffing around just advertises the fact that you have mice. 🙄

YoThePussy Sun 24-Feb-19 14:21:30

Seems horrible but the alternative in a 5* hotel, mousetraps dotted around?

girraffeduck Sun 24-Feb-19 14:22:04

Aren't there boxes you just get them into then set them free outside?

swapsicles Sun 24-Feb-19 14:23:14

The mouse was in plain sight there and then, by the time it would have took to get a humane trap then said mouse may have disappeared into the hotel causing further damage or bred more mouse friends!
It's not ideal or pleasant but at the time solved the issue.

RomanyQueen1 Sun 24-Feb-19 14:23:20

I'm not sure what else they could have done. maybe suggest they keep something handy behind the bar, in case it happens again.
The mouse was hardly going to stand still while they set traps or found another way.

EdWinchester Sun 24-Feb-19 14:24:05

I wouldn’t have liked to have seen this. But, I couldn’t be bothered to be too bothered either.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »