Talk

Advanced search

to want dh to give dd toast instead of a jaffa cake for breakfast?

(11 Posts)
babyjamas Fri 06-Jul-07 09:30:34

ok, i know the answer to this one (obv ianbu)but wanted to rant as he takes no bloody notice. Background - i work 3 days a week, and leave the house at 6 on those mornings. Dh sorts out the children (ds 10, dd1 6 and dd2 1) - obviously this makes him a saint. Get home yesterday to find half a jaffa cake on the floor - on questioning dh, he said he gave it to dd2 to keep her quiet whilst the others ate their breakfast. It is not bloody rocket science to go to the bread bin and give her a piece of bread is it? or a banana? or a breadstick? I have made my point with him, healthy food, good breakfasts blah blah - his point being that jaffa cakes are v healthy apparently (footballers eat them)and it keeps her happy. No point really, just wanted to shout (again).

lilymolly Fri 06-Jul-07 09:53:19

ah sweetie, my dp does this too, try and forget about it, or insist he gives her a proper breakfast.

dal21 Fri 06-Jul-07 09:58:31

worth moving the jaffa cakes round so he cant find them? and replacing the place they are normally kept with something healthy? he will most likely grab what is there as opposed to rooting round for the jaffa cakes - especially if dc needs quietening - he will grab the food that is at hand.

choosyfloosy Fri 06-Jul-07 10:01:24

This sort of thing does kill me. When dh started doing a few early morning stints, ds was suddenly having toast and jam instead of Proper Protein Breakfast. And I will never forget the time we sat down to dh's idea of a well-balanced evening meal - pasta with tomato ketchup. I didn't say a lot but I bet my mouth was like a cat's bum.

I am bad at letting go of the food preparation (who can bloomin well blame me), but a few months on things are definitely better - the occasional 'and the vegs?' has helped.

I wouldn't fuss about the actual fact of your dc having a jaffa cake for breakfast ONCE - we all have cr*ppy mornings and bribe with food sometimes. But a smart 'come off it, you're an adult' at any attempt to defend himself would also be fair enough.

Or do a fantastic massive delicious healthy meal one day for everyone except him - he gets a jaffa cake and tough bloody cheddar.

NoodleStroodle Fri 06-Jul-07 10:02:38

Is not the orange filling one of your daily portions of fruit?

jaynehater Fri 06-Jul-07 10:05:57

Could be worse ... in our house dd would be probably be found foraging in the garden while dh eats the jaffa cakes.

sandyballs Fri 06-Jul-07 10:21:42

God this sounds just like my DH, the rows we've had about food in this house. DH gives the kids a plate of plain cooked pasta and a jar of mayonnaise and calls that dinner .

I've now taken to hiding all the jaffa cakes, biscuits, crisps etc and they only come out under strict supervision when I'm around

jaynehater Fri 06-Jul-07 10:27:03

ROFL(I can, it didn't happen to my kids!) at pasta and mayo sandyballs - once, dh and got into the 'what's for dinner - how can't you know, how hard is it, it's just a matter of shopping' conversation. An hour later he emerged from Tesco with a garlic mushroom pizza (bleugh) and four corn cobs. I rest my case.

babyjamas Fri 06-Jul-07 10:32:57

i suppoese the only good thoing is that she only ate half the jaffa cake? mind you she managed to snaffle the other half off the floor before i had managed to pick it up and dispose of it. I shouldn't have to hide the choccie biscuits tho' should i - it's just common bloody sense. and he's jusy like your dh Jaynehater - i can go to supermarket and spend £80 on the weekly shop, he goes and spends the same on garlic sausage and Becks.

LittleBoot Fri 06-Jul-07 10:35:33

OK just don't buy jaffa cakes, biscuits, cakes, crisps, or any other crap, so that it's not an available option.

Then if he wants to give her something "to keep her quiet" there'll only be healthy stuff around.

jaynehater Fri 06-Jul-07 10:37:04

Garlic sausage and Becks? Is he TRYING to make you not sleep with him?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now