Talk

Advanced search

Superkingsize bed - one mattress or two?

(13 Posts)
wrinkledprune Sun 24-Feb-19 08:58:27

When we originally bought our superking bed from Ikea (about 20 years ago!) they advised using 2 single mattresses rather than one large one, though with a good quality mattress pad on top. I can't remember the reason, but possibly to stop sagging in the middle. We've also found the two singles to be very transportable, having moved house a few times over the years.
We still have the two original mattresses but have replaced the mattress pad a few times.

As I've been sleeping badly recently I'm thinking about an upgrade, and wondering whether to change the whole mattress this time,get 3 nee singles, or just to get another topper. It would be expensive to change the whole thing and as the bed is in the loft room, even if it arrives vacuum packed I'm not sure we'd easily get it out again.

Any superking gurus out there with some good advice?

wrinkledprune Sun 24-Feb-19 08:59:15

*two new singles

TestingTestingWonTooFree Sun 24-Feb-19 09:03:05

We have an Ikea superking bed and mattress (but sleep with separate single duvets). It’s difficult to manoeuvre. After 8 years it’s not very flat. I think singles + topper is a good plan.

Myyearmytime Sun 24-Feb-19 09:14:57

Would definitely change the mattresses now . And pad .

Vulpine Sun 24-Feb-19 09:15:57

We have one mattress on ours

banivani Sun 24-Feb-19 09:18:29

The norm in Sweden is two mattresses and a big topper. Not even always a big topper, people two have single toppers which to me seems a pain in the arse. Two mattresses means you can accommodate needs of each sleeper (if one needs firmer or softer mattress for example).

reluctantbrit Sun 24-Feb-19 09:31:20

I am German and love two mattresses. No rolling into the middle, we can get what each person prefers.

Also, changing sheets for two single is a lot easier than changing one massive sheet.

DontCallMeCharlotte Sun 24-Feb-19 09:45:34

Also, changing sheets for two single is a lot easier than changing one massive sheet.

It's really not.

(ex B&B owner - with superking beds smile)

DontCallMeCharlotte Sun 24-Feb-19 09:47:12

Although I'll grant you it's a zillion times easier to iron a single sheet than a s/king!

reluctantbrit Sun 24-Feb-19 15:10:41

That must be the practice :-)

We had a single sheet for a king size, not even super king, spare blow up bed and I absolutely hated getting it ready.

bouncydog Sun 24-Feb-19 15:16:12

We’ve had superkings for over 30 years. Definitely get zip and links with 2 mattresses as much easier to shift around. Can also have mattresses to suit the individual. We have a superking wool topper from wool room. It’s fab!

bouncydog Sun 24-Feb-19 15:17:31

And we use superking bedding. Twin duvets are a pain.

ThePants999 Sun 24-Feb-19 15:19:39

But a super king bed isn't the same size as two single mattresses? Same width, but six inches longer.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »