Talk

Advanced search

Is it normal to have a slight temp with a cold?

(12 Posts)
namechangdd2019 Sun 24-Feb-19 04:48:34

Poor DD (2.5 years) has had a runny nose for 2 days and started with a cough yesterday but other than that she has been fine, iv just gone in to her as she was making a few noises and shes hot to touch and temp is 38.1, iv stripped her of and given Nurofen for children... AIBU to ask could it just be a strong 'common cold' or has she got an infection somewhere? She never gets a temp not even when we both had awful colds and DH had Flu influenza A 😥 (we had flu jab)

I also wanted to add I'm pregnant and exhausted & really can't be doing with getting sick 🤢

namechangdd2019 Sun 24-Feb-19 05:18:42

Anyone 🤭

Ollyscarecrow Sun 24-Feb-19 05:22:56

A cold is a virus, so yes, you can get a temp with a cold. Keep her well hydrated and give neurogenic and calpol, if you are concerned go to out of hours or A&E. Sorry, being brief, but very weary about giving kids health advice online.

namechangdd2019 Sun 24-Feb-19 05:36:30

@Ollyscarecrow thanks! She has cooled down and gone back to sleep will keep an eye on her and ring docs on Monday if it goes back up 😊

PuzzlingPuzzle Sun 24-Feb-19 05:40:29

My DD often gets a fever when she gets a cold and her paediatrician says it’s normal (we’re in the US so we see the paediatrician for all routine stuff). That said, I can’t tell you if your DD has a cold, the flu, or some other sort of infection as all of these can all cause fevers. If you’re worried then it’s always best to seek a medical opinion but🤞for you that it’s not something more serious than just a common cold.

flumpybear Sun 24-Feb-19 06:04:29

Fever is very common with a virus, unless other things concern you, or the meds don't do anything to bring temp down (it often took both meds for my kids) then just give meds inc ibuprofen and paracetamol for a day or two and keep hydrated and fed if she will eat. Keep an eye on temp though - ibtend to write down temps and medication so I do t overdose but also have record of temp just in case needed

namechangdd2019 Sun 24-Feb-19 08:04:04

Thanks everyone she woke up this morning still a bit warm to touch but otherwise fine ☺️

BertrandRussell Sun 24-Feb-19 08:07:54

Surely a cold is an infection? I’m not trying to be a git, I promise! But isnnt that right? What is it otherwise?

BertrandRussell Sun 24-Feb-19 08:28:29

Op- you really don’t have to medicate a slight fever- it’s just her body doing its job. Medicare symptoms- if she’s miserable or achy then of course go in with the calpol. But if she’s a bit hot but happy, and doesn’t have any underlying health conditions, let her system get on with it!

itsboiledeggsagain Sun 24-Feb-19 08:30:59

Op this is not a big deal. Sounds like a normal cold

Mamabear12 Sun 24-Feb-19 08:40:31

38 temp? This sounds like not a big deal. And be prepared for many more colds/fevers. It’s part of them building immune system. I consider 38 temp barely a fever! But my dc tend to spike fevers that are 39.5 to 40.5!!! Anything above 40 I start to worry, but my kids have always been fine. Just keep them hydrated. But really 38 is fine. People send their children to school w 38 fevers! Not me, as I don’t work so rather they stay at home to recover.

Kittykat93 Sun 24-Feb-19 08:50:08

Sounds completely normal. A temperature is just the body's way of fighting something off, in your daughters case this cold virus. A temp of 38 isn't anywhere near dangerously high. Just keep an eye on her but sure she'll be fine.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »