Talk

Advanced search

Pretending that I did it ...

(521 Posts)
Glitterzzz Sat 23-Feb-19 20:00:26

So.. I am no chef but I can bake.. my OH asked me for a carrot cake sometime soon.. usually I would be happy to run round the supermarket get the ingredients and stand in the kitchen to turn out a half decent baked delight some hours later

But

I’m tired. It’s half term. I’m run crazy with two children with additional needs, no school or nursery breaks and trying to keep the house and I’m on a diet myself ... so I cheated.

I contacted a cake maker ordered the cake and was gutted to see how professional it looked when I collected it today considering how much u paid for it... in the need to make it seem I baked it lovingly for him I brought it home and have roughed it up a little... ( smudges in the Cream cheese frosting, a dent here a dent there and whizzed up some pecans and walnuts and whacked them on top...

Unfortunately the real baker had gone to the effort of making little sugar paste carrot decorations which she seems to have apples with a orange substance so I removed them and will just say I attempted a decoration that failed...

Does this cake look home made but not too fancy/ professional? Why do I even care ? 😂😂 I guess I love him and wanted to give him something he wanted and of course all the thanks of how lovely it is and how hard I must have worked

Glitterzzz Sat 23-Feb-19 20:01:38

Apologies for the typos I must be tired from the kitchen 🤣

longestlurkerever Sat 23-Feb-19 20:02:22

No offence OP but that's quite a bizarre way to behave. Is everything ok?

DisplayPurposesOnly Sat 23-Feb-19 20:03:17

Why on earth wouldn't you just say, I'm sorry I haven't had time to make one myself but here's a lovely one I bought instead?

I would be seriously pissed off about someone lying about something as trivial as a cake.

RagingWhoreBag Sat 23-Feb-19 20:03:36

I’m sure he’d be happy that you thought of the cake he wanted regardless of whether or not you baked it. If it were me I’d much rather my DP not lie to me - that’s more important than spending ages in the kitchen!

ThomasRichard Sat 23-Feb-19 20:03:39

You are entirely mad. It must have cost a fortune! Next time just say you’ll do it when the kids are back at school... or ask him what he’s making you.

Sparklingbrook Sat 23-Feb-19 20:03:52

How much was it?

BartonHollow Sat 23-Feb-19 20:04:42

Yes.

I mean why didn't you just say

Maybe next week darling I'm snowed under with the kids on half term this week

A lot of skullduggery, effort and lying for a cake

thanks

PositiveVibez Sat 23-Feb-19 20:04:51

Are you alright? 🤪

Burlea Sat 23-Feb-19 20:05:16

Sorry but forget your husband send it to me. To make it not look professional press down on one side.
But and it's a big but will he expect another one next week and the week after then it will cost you a fortune. xx

NerrSnerr Sat 23-Feb-19 20:05:30

Why didn't you just tell him you're too tired but you'll buy one if he likes. What if he thinks this is the best carrot cake he's ever had are you going to keep buying them?

HappyMama01 Sat 23-Feb-19 20:05:41

I bloody love that OP😂 that's something I would do!

tsonlyme Sat 23-Feb-19 20:06:54

Perfectly fine by me 👍🏻 But I used to buy Tesco value cupcakes and let the kids loose on them with icing and sprinkles for the school bake sales so I’m not known for my baking honesty.

pitterpatterbaby Sat 23-Feb-19 20:07:10

I made chocolate cake the other day. It was a devils food cake box mix. Husband complimented me on how amazing it was. I just took the credit and never said a word 👍🏻😂

WorraLiberty Sat 23-Feb-19 20:09:09

"Love, can you bake a cake soon?"

"No, sorry. I’m tired. It’s half term. I’m run crazy with two children with additional needs, no school or nursery breaks and trying to keep the house and I’m on a diet myself".

No? confused

PurplePepperEater Sat 23-Feb-19 20:09:34

Wtf?!

Glitterzzz Sat 23-Feb-19 20:10:32

He is a ex chef, I am no cook. Whenever I bake I feel pressure to make something that will be nice, no matter who it’s for! The cake maker was just 15 mins away and the cost was £20.. I’m glad some would do the same ... I promise I am mentally balanced in a non abusive relationship 😌🙃 I was just too much of a lazy cow to actually go and buy it all and make it and clean up ... I have however chucked the cooking bowl and some baking untensils in the sink area to further cover my tracks

WorraLiberty Sat 23-Feb-19 20:11:36

So tell him you bought one instead of making it confused

Smoggle Sat 23-Feb-19 20:12:06

So you spent, what £40 on a cake instead of a tenner in Asda?

MiddleClassProblem Sat 23-Feb-19 20:12:23

I’m confused as all if this! You got a special cake made for him which is very thoughtful but if you wanted to be sneaky why did you commission a cake and not just buy one from a supermarket or bakery?

I don’t understand the decision to pass it off as your own anyway. Just say you want to treat him but didn’t have time so had one made...

Still all crazy though 😂

Sparklingbrook Sat 23-Feb-19 20:12:55

Yes, I would have said 'I didn't have time to make one so I got one made for you'.

ElizabethMountbatten Sat 23-Feb-19 20:12:58

The effort you're putting into making the lie work is less than it would have been to make the cake yourself.

Rainycloudyday Sat 23-Feb-19 20:13:43

Sorry but I agree that this is really odd behaviour I'm a relationship. If my partner was so easily dishonest about something as trivial as a cake I doubt I could ever trust them properly. It's just such an unnecessary deception, I genuinely don't understand confused

drspouse Sat 23-Feb-19 20:14:25

Why not just tell him you made it? I'm confused.

YNBU Sat 23-Feb-19 20:15:11

He's an ex chef. Prepare for a grilling on the ingredients, the method etc. I think he'll guess but I think the thought should count here grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »