Talk

Advanced search

Tattoo artist messaging me on snapchat.

(14 Posts)
foxandthehound Sat 23-Feb-19 18:45:02

I've recently got a tattoo at local tattoo shop. I've been there a few times, but that day there was a reasonably new tattoo artist working on someone else. I was tattooed by my regular artist. Me and the new tattoo artist didn't speak.

Before I got tattooed I had to fill out a form (like always). They want my signature to show I understand the risks and complications and I have to put in my address, phone number etc.

This new tattoo artist added me on snapchat, and it said he added me by my phone number. I didn't think anything of it and I accepted him. Because his Snapchat username started with 'Tattoo', I thought it could of been to show off his work etc. He added me about a week ago.

Today I received a message from him, just saying 'hi'. We had a small talk conversation, and then I asked him where he got my number from. He said 'god knows'. I then asked whether he got it from the form i filled out, because that's the only way he could have my number and he said that's not how he got my number.

I was putting short blunt answers hoping the conversation would die off. He then said he wants pictures of me because he can't remember what I look like. I said I'm not going to send them.

Does this sound like a guy just trying his luck, or is this as creepy as I think it is? I mean if he got my phone number from the form he also has my address. Should I let it slide and just not reply to his messages or should I report it to the tattoo shop?

Any advice would be appreciated

Upthepong Sat 23-Feb-19 18:46:29

Complain. That is completely innappropriate.

Butchyrestingface Sat 23-Feb-19 18:47:39

Complain and block.

If they're a reputable company, they will want to know.

BlackCatSleeping Sat 23-Feb-19 18:47:44

Sounds like he’s been messaging a few clients. I’d definitely mention it to the shop owner. Creepy!

Drum2018 Sat 23-Feb-19 18:49:26

Surely that's a breach of data protection. I'd screenshot messages and then contact your regular tattoo artist/the manager to complain that your number is being used inappropriately.

Hot4Holes Sat 23-Feb-19 18:50:14

Wtf that’s really out of order!

If it was me I would ring and complain to the tattoo shop.

sackrifice Sat 23-Feb-19 18:50:57

Yes you need to speak to the shop owner. This is not on.

foxandthehound Sat 23-Feb-19 18:53:52

Thank you for your advice! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't been ott by going to the shop to report him. Now I know I am definitely not, I'll pop in there when I'm free next and report him. Thanks again!

QueenOfCatan Sat 23-Feb-19 18:54:18

You need to complain to the owner, surely its a breach of gdpr as well as entirely inappropriate?

crazycatgal Sat 23-Feb-19 18:55:44

Definitely complain to the owner.

WeCameToDance Sat 23-Feb-19 18:56:06

Talk to the shop owner. Any tattoo shop I have been tattooed at would not take kindly to this. At the very least its bad for business if your customers feel creeped out and it shows a major lack of data protection. The guy sounds like an utter weirdo. Can you block him so he cant contact you again?

foxandthehound Sat 23-Feb-19 18:57:27

Yes, I've just blocked him now.

poodlewoodle Sat 23-Feb-19 19:35:00

He's just touting for new customers using his works's mailing list

Allways123 Sat 23-Feb-19 19:37:29

Its an abuse of data protection laws surely. Tell him his attention is unwanted.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »