Talk

Advanced search

My toddler hurt my baby- advice.

(13 Posts)
Seline Sat 23-Feb-19 15:15:51

My 3 year year old, to get my attention pulled his brothers arm because I was feeding him. It jolted DS2 and he yelled but was quickly comforted and is moving his arm normally. He seems fairly relaxed about the whole thing.

DS2 is a twin and was premature. He's 4 months but 6 weeks corrected and is about 9lbs.

Am I right in thinking I don't need to get his arm looked at? I worry a lot because of him and DDs prematurity but I think this is fine? Thanks everyone.

ApolloandDaphne Sat 23-Feb-19 15:20:18

He will be fine. Babies are very robust.

Queenofthestress Sat 23-Feb-19 15:20:25

He'll be absolutely fine, dd was about that size when DS sat on her arm and she was fine

BejamNostalgia Sat 23-Feb-19 15:22:03

I would be wary of getting online advice about this because none of us can examine your baby and we don’t have probable qualifications.

My gut feeling would be that it’s probably not done any harm, but I would give your health visitor a call for advice or anyone from SCBU/Bliss that is still giving you support because of the preemie angle.

Motherofcreek Sat 23-Feb-19 15:23:38

Call in at the HV Tomorow and have a chat about it. It's worth just to be on the safe side. Babies and children's joints are very soft and can damage quite easily.

Can you imagine how you would feel if they found this as an old unreported injury ?

Seline Sat 23-Feb-19 15:26:15

Are they there at weekends?

He's gripping my finger with that arm and isn't upset so I reckon he's fine but I do think I might like to run it past a HV. I don't want to sound neurotic though. I'm only worrying because he's prem.

bobstersmum Sat 23-Feb-19 15:38:41

When dd was 12 months old she suddenly started yelling and screaming and holding her arm with her other arm. It was out the blue, she hadn't fallen and nothing had happened that I'd seen, she was fine one minute then the next she wasn't. She screamed every time I tried to touch it I was terrified and I whipped her straight to the minor injuries unit which is right down the road. The nurse examined her and said it moved fine and she had no idea what she was upset about, she refused to xray it. She said come back in the morning if she's still upset. She slept OK that night but every time she woke there was definitely something bothering her about her arm. The next day she was fine! To this day I have no idea what was wrong, I think maybe a trapped nerve or something. The nurse said it had been a arm pull which is the most common thing to happen then she would be in absolute agony and would not be able to move it freely. So I think your baby should be fine, but obviously if you're worried get them checked.

Seline Sat 23-Feb-19 15:40:56

bobs that happened to my son when he was 2 but it was his leg. He just fell and screamed but he fell because it was hurting he didn't fall and then hurt it. Wouldn't walk or let me touch it. Took him to hospital and then an hour later it was fine. It happened twice more and each time I took him in and it self resolved without any cause being found. Very weird.

Louiselouie0890 Sat 23-Feb-19 15:53:05

The easiest bone to break is there collar bone. My boy did it and he could only lift his arm so far up. If they're fine not crying good movement and grip they're most likely fine but there's nothing wrong with getting him checked.

Seline Sat 23-Feb-19 15:59:00

I don't think it was hard enough to break anything. He just moved DS2 forward quite ungracefully. I'll ring HV either tomorrow or Sunday to check, obviously if he's unwell I will take him to get looked at. As it stands he seems perfectly fine. I just can't help but worry due to their early birth.

Waveysnail Sat 23-Feb-19 16:43:51

Unless the baby is upset, in pain, or out of sorts the I wouldn't worry

iolaus Sat 23-Feb-19 16:47:54

If he wasn't prem but was full term and was 6 weeks old (as you said that is his corrected age) would you be concerned?

If so then do something, if not don't worry

I'll be honest I wouldn't get it checked out, if a baby is in pain they will let you know (especially when getting dressed etc as you have to move their arm)

Seline Sat 23-Feb-19 16:52:01

No I wouldn't be concerned if he was a regular 6 week old.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: