Talk

Advanced search

To be so upset....it's only a jumper!

(248 Posts)
theresnoonequitelikegrandma Sat 23-Feb-19 13:49:17

First of all, I should say that my DH is a 'house husband' so he is responsible for all household tasks while I work full time - a mutual choice.

Today, after doing some laundry he told me there had been a bit of a problem but he had followed the washing instructions.....

For my birthday a couple of weeks ago my best friend gave me a beautiful jumper from Jigsaw....he put it in the washing machine and has shrunk it to 5 year old size! Obviously, I pointed out that the label does indeed have a 30 sign BUT it has 2 lines underneath that indicate a wool wash! Also, the label clearly states that it is 97% merino wool!

I googled the jumper and found it in the sale but by the time he had put his reading glasses on and ambled over to look at my laptop it was sold out. I am ridiculously upset and have gone out because I can't look at him. He has not said Sorry, just insisted that the washing instruction wasn't clear. He has offered to buy me any jumper I want to replace it.....but I want that one!

Thank you for letting me rant. Anyone got a grip for me? Or am I entitled to be cross and upset?

ZaraW Sat 23-Feb-19 13:54:27

These things happen he's offered to buy you a new jumper what else can he do? Have you never shrunk anything in the wash? So yes YABU.

Stormwhale Sat 23-Feb-19 13:54:45

I think you are being really over the top about this. It's an easy mistake to make, and it is just a jumper.

HellonHeels Sat 23-Feb-19 13:58:46

It's not an easy mistake to make if you take the trouble to look at the care label.

Is he a house husband or a stay at home dad? If he's a SAHD i think you're being unfair and should do your own laundry. If he's a house husband perhaps he should get a job and the two of you outsource tje domestic work.

marvellousnightforamooncup Sat 23-Feb-19 13:59:52

I had a lovely blouse from Anthropologie that had a 30° label. When I washed it on 30 it shrank. These things happen.

bridgetreilly Sat 23-Feb-19 14:02:11

You need to get over it. It said 30, he put it on at 30. Yes, it should have been on a wool cycle, but I agree, that's not obvious if no one has explained it to you. Mostly I think that if you have a garment you are so precious about, you need to wash it yourself.

Nanasueathome Sat 23-Feb-19 14:02:56

Next have Jigsaw online and often have things in stock that are out of stock in the Jigsaw website
Have a look at next website

Loopytiles Sat 23-Feb-19 14:05:16

YABU

GregoryPeckingDuck Sat 23-Feb-19 14:05:45

That is really upsetting. And I can understand why you are upset at him if he didn’t wash it properly (which I am assuming, you weren’t very clear) and hasn’t said sorry. But it is just a jumper. For all you know it make have hobbled after a month or been eaten by moths. It’s not worth ruining your day over. Maybe just explain to him that jumpers obviously need a wool wash and you’re upset that he refuses to aknowledge that he ruined something you really liked through his own fault rather than you just being disproportionately upset over a jumper. Then get over it. That way you both take something from this situation. You learn how to let little things go and your husband learns a bit of emotional literacy.

picklemepopcorn Sat 23-Feb-19 14:07:04

I would keep all items that need special washing in a different hamper. It's easy for things to go in accidentally.

Cannotresist Sat 23-Feb-19 14:07:54

Phone jigsaw and get them to track it down in a store and either he can collect if it’s near or pay to post

bloodywhitecat Sat 23-Feb-19 14:08:02

He washed it at 30°? I can't imagine a wool wash or a non wool wash would make much difference, I think it would've shrunk any way. Would you want him to be so angry if the roles were reversed?

NannyRed Sat 23-Feb-19 14:09:14

Sorry but laundry accidents happen. Your jumper is gone, get over it. Your attitude of “but I want that one” is somewhat like a petulant child!
Life doesn’t always treat us fair, throwing a toddler size tantrum is not the way forward.

OddBodsAndGladRags Sat 23-Feb-19 14:09:59

These things happen... But I still miss my big fluffy grey cardigan that also suffered a mishap in the washing machine. I feel your pain. Take advantage of getting a new jumper 😉

Mingasauros Sat 23-Feb-19 14:10:19

You can try unshrinking it. www.countryliving.com/home-maintenance/cleaning/a36242/shrunken-sweater-trick/

I've done it and it did work but took a long time

PregnantSea Sat 23-Feb-19 14:10:33

My husband knows all special clothes items are not to be washed by him unless I'm supervising. Makes things less stressful

Llongyfarchiadau Sat 23-Feb-19 14:11:06

Had you checked the jumper's instructions before you put it in the laundry basket? My worn delicates are stored elsewhere while waiting to be washed as it's so easy to inadvertently scoop them up when sorting a load.

Was it grubby after just one wear? A wool jumper can be worn a two to three times before needing to be immersed in water, if stored correctly.

Lucked Sat 23-Feb-19 14:12:23

Done it myself- exact same thing.

SexNotJenga Sat 23-Feb-19 14:12:55

I can see why you're upset but it won't achieve anything good. Easier to focus on choosing a new jumper.

In terms of wool /not wool wash, it's about the detergent used and the speed of the spin, as well as water temperature.

I do most of the laundry in our house, partly for this reason.

thetemptationofchocolate Sat 23-Feb-19 14:13:12

I do use the wool wash on my machine and it is shorter than a normal 30 wash. I think the wool wash agitates the washing less.
I chose the wrong one once (half asleep at the time) and felted a lot of wool in the machine, whereas if I had paid attention and done the wool wash I would have had useable stuff at the end of it.
I'm sorry about your jumper OP.

Usuallyinthemiddle Sat 23-Feb-19 14:14:33

There's a wool cycle?

ItsNiceItsDifferentItsUnusual Sat 23-Feb-19 14:17:05

I used to be a SAHM and shrunk a couple of dh's jumpers. If he'd left the house because he was so cross with me I'd have thought he was an absolute bell end.

Incidentally I didn't know that about the care label explains a few things

SnuggyBuggy Sat 23-Feb-19 14:18:35

I had no idea there was a different wool cycle. I agree, keep a separate box or something for anything that can't just go in a standard wash.

DarlingNikita Sat 23-Feb-19 14:20:04

I'd be annoyed. A competent adult should be able to a) read a washing symbol and b) think to check what one means if they don't fully recognise it.

But I don't know what you mean by 'I googled the jumper and found it in the sale but by the time he had put his reading glasses on and ambled over to look at my laptop it was sold out.' Do you mean you were going to get him to buy it for you there and then? Why did you have to wait for him rather than buying it yourself?

Jaspermcsween Sat 23-Feb-19 14:20:06

Ah bummer. I'd be upset too. But you need to let it go confused

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: