Talk

Advanced search

Help me figure out this weird smell.

(41 Posts)
KungFuPandaWorks Sat 23-Feb-19 08:04:52

I woke this morning and started walking down the stairs, at the very bottom steps I could smell a weird smell very faintly. I turned into the living room and the same smell was in there but much stronger. I walked back out into the hallway, and could smell it but only faint like when I came down the stairs. I went into the kitchen, no smell. Went into the dining room, no smell. It's only in the living room and it's quite strong.

It almost has a bleachy smell to it, and every time I sniff up it sort of stings my nose and I can taste it (I hope that makes sense). Nobody else is awake so can't ask their opinion.

I'm a little bit paranoid because British gas was around tinkering with the gas and electric cupboards. But surely If it was a gas leak it would smell in more than one room?

Help!

Goldenbaubles Sun 24-Feb-19 08:19:29

At least you found out before it burnt the house down

KungFuPandaWorks Sun 24-Feb-19 08:12:14

It was the TV we could smell. Picture on tv disappeared this morning but still played sound. 😥

iklboo Sat 23-Feb-19 18:35:22

Plastic smell could be burning electrics.

KungFuPandaWorks Sat 23-Feb-19 18:29:33

My husband couldn't smell it at first, we went out for a bit and came back. He can smell it now and it's quite stronger he says it's not bleach he can smell but a plastic smell.

clockworklime Sat 23-Feb-19 16:54:14

Is someone using poppers in the house perhaps?

PretendImNotHere Sat 23-Feb-19 16:06:40

Do you have LED lightbulbs? I had to throw some away due to a burning smell. The plastic casing was melting on one of them. Others looked OK but gave off a metallic / bleachy burning smell.

loobylou10 Sat 23-Feb-19 15:36:34

I bought a denim dress last year that had a bleachy smell to it. Drove me mad for ages before I realised where the smell was coming from.
There's not a new denim jacket hanging up is there?

Haffiana Sat 23-Feb-19 15:32:53

Yes, gas. Ring gas emergency number.

DrinkSangriaInThePark Sat 23-Feb-19 15:30:23

Gas does smell a bit like bleach

CheerioHunter Sat 23-Feb-19 14:02:51

If you do suspect it's gas -
Turn off gas.
Open windows
Don't operate lights, switches etc.
Ring - 0800 111 999
And they'll be there within 2 hours

gamerchick Sat 23-Feb-19 11:47:41

If one of my neighbours knocked and asked me to be a second nose for a suspected gas leak, I'd have no issue helping. Just so I'm not risking my own house.

ShaggyRug Sat 23-Feb-19 11:19:12

Recently a colleague had a gas leak. They thought it was spilt bleach when they first smelled it. Might be worth phoning gas board. They’ll be out in a hour and will check all your gas appliances to be safe.

moofolk Sat 23-Feb-19 11:18:10

Dead mouse.

Haggisfish Sat 23-Feb-19 11:17:42

It might be a light fitting?

Iputthescrewinthetuna Sat 23-Feb-19 11:16:26

What kind of heating do you have in living room?

Idontmeanto Sat 23-Feb-19 09:32:17

Almost, you’ve now given me a wonderful mental image of a cat puffing away on a spliff!

Being pregnant makes a lot of women very sensitive to smells. Drain problem? Especially that someone is trying to bleach away?

DrinkSangriaInThePark Sat 23-Feb-19 09:15:10

I'd call the gas people and let them check the house just in case. They're happy to do that and it's not a big deal but if you have a leak you need to know about it!

PeachRose Sat 23-Feb-19 09:14:31

Check all appliances for any sockets extensions that could of melted. I smelt something funny last week, no one else could smell it, it was the washing machine plug melted into the socket shock

OkOkWhatsNext Sat 23-Feb-19 09:11:34

I second an orangey thing. Mouldy satsumas smell like shoe polish. I always forget this then find one with a blue patch on the underside stinking out the fruit bowl. Could there be one under the sofa or something if not in fruit bowl?

dayswithaY Sat 23-Feb-19 08:41:24

I definitely had a heightened sense of smell when pregnant and things smelled different too so get a second opinion. Get on hands and knees if you can and sniff along the skirting boards to locate the smell. Ask someone to move the sofa as when my son was little he spilt milk from his bottle and it dripped under the sofa, left undetected it turned into a patch of green fur. I was searching for that smell for weeks til I found it.

100Birds Sat 23-Feb-19 08:40:49

Decaying rodents do not smell like bleach, they smell utterly putrid! One died in the loft above our bedroom and we couldn’t sleep in there for several days...
Bleach/ammonia smell is more likely to be pee I would think (or daffodils!)

KungFuPandaWorks Sat 23-Feb-19 08:40:16

I'm about too go and wake him now, although his sense of smell is shocking. I could honestly blind fold him and lead him into a room full of shitty nappies and he wouldn't smell it.

Was thinking of asking one of my neighbours but might look a bit crazy knocking on at this time asking them to come and smell my house.

Jakethekid Sat 23-Feb-19 08:35:20

When i*

cliffdiver Sat 23-Feb-19 08:33:28

Is it an almost sweet bleechy smell?

It could be a decaying rodent under the floorboards?

Jakethekid Sat 23-Feb-19 08:33:18

Could it be damp? Our small seccond bedroom gets very damp over the winter and even I tried to dry it out by heating it recently it smelled very much like urine. I bleached down the walls and the smell was gone. It's been warmer than past week so could be the room heating up?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »