Talk

Advanced search

Help me figure out this weird smell.

(41 Posts)
KungFuPandaWorks Sat 23-Feb-19 08:04:52

I woke this morning and started walking down the stairs, at the very bottom steps I could smell a weird smell very faintly. I turned into the living room and the same smell was in there but much stronger. I walked back out into the hallway, and could smell it but only faint like when I came down the stairs. I went into the kitchen, no smell. Went into the dining room, no smell. It's only in the living room and it's quite strong.

It almost has a bleachy smell to it, and every time I sniff up it sort of stings my nose and I can taste it (I hope that makes sense). Nobody else is awake so can't ask their opinion.

I'm a little bit paranoid because British gas was around tinkering with the gas and electric cupboards. But surely If it was a gas leak it would smell in more than one room?

Help!

Idontmeanto Sat 23-Feb-19 09:32:17

Almost, you’ve now given me a wonderful mental image of a cat puffing away on a spliff!

Being pregnant makes a lot of women very sensitive to smells. Drain problem? Especially that someone is trying to bleach away?

Iputthescrewinthetuna Sat 23-Feb-19 11:16:26

What kind of heating do you have in living room?

Haggisfish Sat 23-Feb-19 11:17:42

It might be a light fitting?

moofolk Sat 23-Feb-19 11:18:10

Dead mouse.

ShaggyRug Sat 23-Feb-19 11:19:12

Recently a colleague had a gas leak. They thought it was spilt bleach when they first smelled it. Might be worth phoning gas board. They’ll be out in a hour and will check all your gas appliances to be safe.

gamerchick Sat 23-Feb-19 11:47:41

If one of my neighbours knocked and asked me to be a second nose for a suspected gas leak, I'd have no issue helping. Just so I'm not risking my own house.

CheerioHunter Sat 23-Feb-19 14:02:51

If you do suspect it's gas -
Turn off gas.
Open windows
Don't operate lights, switches etc.
Ring - 0800 111 999
And they'll be there within 2 hours

DrinkSangriaInThePark Sat 23-Feb-19 15:30:23

Gas does smell a bit like bleach

Haffiana Sat 23-Feb-19 15:32:53

Yes, gas. Ring gas emergency number.

loobylou10 Sat 23-Feb-19 15:36:34

I bought a denim dress last year that had a bleachy smell to it. Drove me mad for ages before I realised where the smell was coming from.
There's not a new denim jacket hanging up is there?

PretendImNotHere Sat 23-Feb-19 16:06:40

Do you have LED lightbulbs? I had to throw some away due to a burning smell. The plastic casing was melting on one of them. Others looked OK but gave off a metallic / bleachy burning smell.

clockworklime Sat 23-Feb-19 16:54:14

Is someone using poppers in the house perhaps?

KungFuPandaWorks Sat 23-Feb-19 18:29:33

My husband couldn't smell it at first, we went out for a bit and came back. He can smell it now and it's quite stronger he says it's not bleach he can smell but a plastic smell.

iklboo Sat 23-Feb-19 18:35:22

Plastic smell could be burning electrics.

KungFuPandaWorks Sun 24-Feb-19 08:12:14

It was the TV we could smell. Picture on tv disappeared this morning but still played sound. 😥

Goldenbaubles Sun 24-Feb-19 08:19:29

At least you found out before it burnt the house down

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »