Talk

Advanced search

To think the washing machine is bust because of the builder?

(22 Posts)
Movinghouseatlast Sat 23-Feb-19 07:37:55

We just had a new floor put down in our kitchen. The builder disconnected the washing machine and moved it, then put it back.

I put it on last night and during the spin cycle it made the most horrendous noise. It really did sound like it was going to take off. It is a very quiet model, it was never loud before.

It isn't touching anything, it is exactly where it was before. It was on concrete before, now on engineered wood.

I'm so pissed off as it was only 6 months old and I assume if it was mistreated the warranty wont be valid?

Is it worth trying to get it repaired under the warranty as it has been moved?

We paid him yesterday as he was hassling us, despite only having finished the job on Thursday night. He is a good builder and a nice guy, but reacts very defensively if things go wrong. Nothing is ever his fault, e.g. he measured something wrong then made us pay to redo it when it was wrong due to the measurements. Somehow it was our fault.

We have wasted so much money on builder mistakes that just get denied. Every time you have to point something out they seem to react like you have stolen their first born!

We are having a total house refurb so have had lots of builders. I'm just so sick and tired of the general lack of care for our possessions. I have paid this particular bloke over £20k! I hasten to add that on the whole he has done a great job.

PlainSpeakingStraightTalking Sat 23-Feb-19 07:40:20

The floor will be a bit wonky or one of the legs needs to be adjusted. No biggie, you need to tell him to sort it out.

Ifailed Sat 23-Feb-19 07:41:31

did he put the shipping bolts in when he moved it?

Cakeisbest Sat 23-Feb-19 07:42:15

You probably just need to readjust the feet, often fitted only to the front. They have probably misaligned due it to be moved. They screw up and down and the process of moving the machine can unbalancethem. Check that first.

Iggly Sat 23-Feb-19 07:43:31

Sounds like the machine just needs levelling.

ambereeree Sat 23-Feb-19 07:43:39

Might have damaged the drum when it was moved. How much was it moved around?

newmumwithquestions Sat 23-Feb-19 07:45:58

I agree it’s probably just slightly unbalanced now. Screw the legs until it’s level

Movinghouseatlast Sat 23-Feb-19 07:46:53

He didn't put the shipping bolts in, no. It was only moved in and out.

hoge Sat 23-Feb-19 07:48:31

It will just be off balance.

Movinghouseatlast Sat 23-Feb-19 07:48:36

I don't think he will come back to level the machine. I just know he'll say "not my fault" which seems to be his mantra.

TheSerenDipitY Sat 23-Feb-19 07:48:46

Might have damaged the drum when it was moved. How much was it moved around?
fuck do you think he picked it up and threw it across the room?
we are contract farmers and move every few years and in all the moves i cant think of a single time taking the washing machine out and putting on a truck or trailer and driving sometimes hours and then taking off truck or trailer and putting in new house that we have damaged the drum.... are they a little more delicate in the uk?

hoge Sat 23-Feb-19 07:51:35

I don't think he will come back to level the machine.

Neither he should, just google how to adjust the legs and adjust the legs.

This is absolutely not the big deal you are making it out to be.

ALargeGinPlease Sat 23-Feb-19 07:55:12

I suspect the levelling feet have become mis aligned. Ideally, he should come back and correct them, but if you don't need the hassle of asking him, then you should be able to do yourself. Try gently rocking the machine back and forth and diagonally, does it feel that all 4 corners are flat on the floor? Have a feel under it and try to adjust the 2 front feet, they'll screw up/down. You want them both the be flat on the floor. If you identify which foot needs tweaking, you may need someone to gently tip back the machine a cm or 2 just to get to it a bit easier, but usually, you can fiddle about without this.

PlainSpeakingStraightTalking Sat 23-Feb-19 07:56:51

This is where I get short tempered - why are you paying full price for a job that is not completed satisfactorily ?

And just adjust the legs, it's not an issue. It would be nice if he did it, but you're not helpless (I presume).

Crying out loud, the machine gets pulled in and out … its not hoyed up 12 flights of stairs, hardly a need to have shipping blots put into place. It wasn't being resituated in Cape Town.

The what ifs, the bloody drama.

Iggly Sat 23-Feb-19 07:59:22

This is where I get short tempered - why are you paying full price for a job that is not completed satisfactorily

The irony of you getting very cross over some stranger on the Internet 🤣🤣

PlainSpeakingStraightTalking Sat 23-Feb-19 08:02:45

@Iggly - its the inability of some people to decide which leg to put out of bed first - its mind boggling . I only come here to keep my blood pressure constant grin grin

Movinghouseatlast Sat 23-Feb-19 08:05:12

I paid for the job, but didn't realise the machine wasn't In properly.

I think what is behind this is that I don't think I know how to be with builders!

When he had measured wrong and I pointed it out he just flatly denied it. He said "are you saying this is my fault?" Well, yes!

He told me that he has never had a single complaint in 50 years of working. I am the first to query anything apparently.

I have literally wasted about £3000 on this build. I think the washing machine is the final straw.

Mummyoflittledragon Sat 23-Feb-19 08:10:04

You’ve got more people coming in to do work. Ask one of them to level it for you. 3k is nothing in a big build. Mistakes are made.

Mummyoflittledragon Sat 23-Feb-19 08:10:49

Should have added. However if he made s mistake he should have fixed it really.

onalongsabbatical Sat 23-Feb-19 09:46:56

Bosch seventeen years never a single problem!

onalongsabbatical Sat 23-Feb-19 09:47:36

Sorry wrong washing machine thread! grin

Movinghouseatlast Sat 23-Feb-19 09:47:57

Thanks Mummyoflittledragon. Yes, will ask the next builder. Is that true about losing money on builds? It's not just me then?

I'm.very relieved it just needs levelling I must say.

We have spent literally everything we have on this project, aiming for a new start after 7 pretty rubbish years.

A lot of our problems were financial after redundancy so I think I'm very sensitive about wasting money.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »