Talk

Advanced search

Mansplaining

(350 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Grammarist Sat 23-Feb-19 00:53:56

Just had a discussion with the ever-lovely DH where I mentioned that a female friend of mine (an eminent Professor in her field) was a target of mansplaining via a live TV interview recently.

DH exploded at me. Mansplaining apparently isn't real and I shouldn't think that it is...

Hmmm.... I think he may be doing it to me. Dick smile

Soubriquet Sat 23-Feb-19 08:19:03

For anyone who says mansplaining doesn’t work...this is a clear and classic example where a man is putting his nose in where it isn’t needed or wanted..especially since he has NO experience at all with it

My brother-in-law once tried to tell me which tampons were the best to buy, and which bras were the most comfortable. LOL. As if he had any personal experience to form his well-thought-out opinion! Haha. His arguments were based on his sisters' and girlfriends' preferences.

MichaelMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 23-Feb-19 08:19:24

Hi all,
It looks like sharedthismonth was a PBP and not here with the best of intentions - so we've banned and deleted their posts. Apologies for the holes in the thread.

Thegoodthere Sat 23-Feb-19 08:20:20

Shared is a PBP, folks.

Women sometimes patronise men. Men sometimes patronise people who happen to be women. Large numbers of men patronise women because they believe women are generally stupid and need a man to explain things to them. THAT is mansplaining.

StreetwiseHercules Sat 23-Feb-19 08:21:45

“Large numbers of men patronise women because they believe women are generally stupid and need a man to explain things to them. THAT is mansplaining.”

Maybe 50 years ago. The society I live in is not like that anymore and hasn’t been for quite some time.

Thegoodthere Sat 23-Feb-19 08:24:13

And how can you POSSIBLY know that when you have no chance of experiencing it as a man?

Kunkka Sat 23-Feb-19 08:34:47

I totally get that there are still many men who still underestimate or disrespect women and their knowledge and achievements in their respective fields.

But I get why some men react defensive when confronted with the term.
It shuts you and your opinion down on the bases of your sex. Something you can't control.
If I'm wrong on something and if I'm too stupid to see that I got carried away in a conversation, which might have happend in the past, I would appreciate to just be called out as a person. Not as a member of a group.

MorningsEleven Sat 23-Feb-19 08:35:33

I think it's born into them. My eight year old occasionally tries to mansplain stuff to me - it doesn't go down well.

DH has almost given up since I told him that I turn my mind completely sky blue, stop listening and go into a meditative state when he starts on. It's quite relaxing.

saccade Sat 23-Feb-19 08:38:39

Oh darn I had just spent 20 minutes dissecting his subsequent riposte with surgical precision. Essentially his first post was

'This is clearly true because I say so'

and when challenged he returned with

'This is very clearly true because it is obviously self evident'.

Literally zero data to back anything up.

Interestingly he claimed to have spent 10 years 'at uni in Computational Linguistics'. Surely anyone who'd presumably gone onto postgrad and research would have something other than emotion to loosely link black and white deterministic assertions to GSCE-level pop psychology terms? Unless he spent 10 years getting his undergrad? That's a genuine question by the way - how can you spend 10 years in academia and be that unaware about how unrobustly you've drawn conclusions?

Grammarist Sat 23-Feb-19 08:39:13

@StreetwiseHercules
It unfortunately isn't an unusual or extreme reaction. Happens a lot in my house and I have many female friends who are experiencing similar with their partners. Lucky for you that you think this is odd.

I've had cases of mansplaining levelled at me over the years and it has been a very unpleasant experience each and every time. Yes, there's a huge difference between someone being a patronising twat (irrespective of their gender) and mansplaining and it's a term that definitely doesn't fit all 'man being a condescending idiot' situations.

StreetwiseHercules Sat 23-Feb-19 08:43:06

“And how can you POSSIBLY know that when you have no chance of experiencing it as a man?”

Because I live in the world.

Mummyoflittledragon Sat 23-Feb-19 08:43:12

Streetwise
It is happening all around us and it is happening in different ways. It is happening every time basic biology is ignored.

JacquesHammer Sat 23-Feb-19 08:43:27

grammarist did your OH start with “well actually....”

echt Sat 23-Feb-19 08:44:08

Because I live in the world

Of course.

JacquesHammer Sat 23-Feb-19 08:44:22

I mean, if you’re a bloke and you don’t mansplain then great, criticism of mansplaining isn’t about you.

CuriousaboutSamphire Sat 23-Feb-19 08:45:51

Might help to remember ...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=juTeHsKPWhY

Grammarist Sat 23-Feb-19 08:47:05

@JacquesHammer Yes. Yes he did! grin

StreetwiseHercules Sat 23-Feb-19 08:47:26

I have a son and a daughter. I won’t accept either of the growing up being gaslighted or having pejoratives attached to them because of their protected characteristics.

My son has none of this baggage. The first person to accuse him of mansplaining will get a vociferous response from me.

JacquesHammer Sat 23-Feb-19 08:48:58

The first person to accuse him of mansplaining will get a vociferous response from me

Rather than considering whether it was justified....?

“Vociferous response” Arf grin

JacquesHammer Sat 23-Feb-19 08:50:00

Grammarist grin

I wish I’d patented the phrase, I’d be rich wink

CuriousaboutSamphire Sat 23-Feb-19 08:50:01

The first person to accuse him of mansplaining will get a vociferous response from me. Surely you have brought him up to be able to stand on his own 2 feet?

EwItsAHooman Sat 23-Feb-19 08:52:26

Maybe 50 years ago. The society I live in is not like that anymore and hasn’t been for quite some time.

Ask any woman who has ever been in a work-based meeting how many times she has made a contribution to that meeting only to have a man then pipe up "I think what she's trying to say is...." followed by a repeat of exactly what she's just said.

Advanced Search the many MN threads where male posters have arrived with much pomp and circumstance to explain to us why we are wrong. In particular any threads discussing violence against women and specifically the thread where a male user offered to teach everyone here computer skills.

Google the many examples out there of men getting involved in situations that have absolutely nothing to do with them and being patronising to the women dealing with that situation.

Because I live in the world.

As a man.

NotaTrollorPBP Sat 23-Feb-19 08:52:38

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

StreetwiseHercules Sat 23-Feb-19 08:53:30

“Surely you have brought him up to be able to stand on his own 2 feet?”

He is 6 years old.

Theducksarenotmyfriends Sat 23-Feb-19 08:53:53

Saccade - you're a hero grin

Thegoodthere Sat 23-Feb-19 08:54:10

I do wish you'd stop wittering on about "protected characteristics".

If you're as forward to thinking as you claim (ha) then your son won't mansplain, will he? However your daughter will experience a shitload of misogyny and street harassment, so please don't belittle her experience when she does. K thx.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »