Talk

Advanced search

To ask which jobs have these hours

(36 Posts)
Gooseygoosey12345 Fri 22-Feb-19 23:19:31

My DH has just changed his job which means I can go to work while he watches the kids! Very excited, but struggling to find a job where I can work evening and/or weekends only! Where should I start looking? I'm willing to do pretty much anything!

ShadyLady53 Fri 22-Feb-19 23:22:00

Supermarkets, Care Work, Office Cleaning

jocktamsonsbairn Fri 22-Feb-19 23:23:01

University support services like libraries etc.

Leeds2 Fri 22-Feb-19 23:23:59

Restaurants, or pubs. Either serving food/drinks, or behind the scenes in the kitchen.
Hotels - in the kitchen, or bar, or in the laundry, or on Reception.
Many, many years ago, I used to work in Sainsbury's from 8 - 10pm, filling shelves. I guess these days, you could work on the tills all through the night.
Cleaning. Schools and offices want cleaners after the pupils/workforce have left.

blackcoffeeinbed Fri 22-Feb-19 23:26:47

I'd start with supermarkets, restaurants, petrol stations. I work for a supermarket express store, they always have evening and weekend hours available and it's a lovely job, suits me down the the ground, is sociable and actually quite challenging. Perfect for getting me back into employment after being a stay at home mum for several years. Good luck

TheresACatInMyLaundryBasket Fri 22-Feb-19 23:33:18

Supermarkets?
You might be about to get care work or evening reception work in a hospital or hotel. (actually the good thing about care work is some places you can kind of choose your own hours/days- it's like zero hours but without a lot of the crap)
Takeaway delivery or taxi driver? (obviously car dependant)
Mcdonalds / etc?
Bar work / wait staff ?
I can't think of anything else at the moment!

CSIblonde Fri 22-Feb-19 23:35:19

Hotel reception. Night security at office blocks.

Gooseygoosey12345 Fri 22-Feb-19 23:37:47

Thank you all! Searching for these options now. I've been out of work for a while so it's a bit daunting. I live in the middle of nowhere as well so not too many options close by so I'll have to travel so I don't mind a job where I have to travel during work hours either!

vilamoura2003 Fri 22-Feb-19 23:41:40

I worked evenings and weekends while my DD was small - I used to pass her over to husband as he came in from work and I went out. I worked in a hotel/restaurant, started out just working behind the bar, but progressed up to a shift manager and front of house. I actually really enjoyed the work, and miss it slightly having gone back to my "proper job" when DD went to school 👍

bridgetosomewhere Fri 22-Feb-19 23:42:18

Support work with adults or children - ideal weekend work, taking them on outings etc

You could get evening work with adults but kids tend to be after school or weekends

tablelegs Fri 22-Feb-19 23:48:03

Private care company

seething1234 Fri 22-Feb-19 23:54:23

I have recently got back working part time at a petrol station 2 evenings/nights a week and one day at weekend. I was a PA/secretary but can't afford childcare at the moment

Ciwirocks Fri 22-Feb-19 23:59:19

A lot of home office type roles run an evening shift. Might not work for you if you don’t live in a city though

Woulditbeworth Fri 22-Feb-19 23:59:58

I have a friend who does a few hours in a local pub when her DP is home from work. She loves how sociable it is.

Inapickle230 Sat 23-Feb-19 00:02:31

Call centre? You could find a job working in insurance, they are open 24/7 on inbound lines and often need more evening/weekend staff.

Gooseygoosey12345 Sat 23-Feb-19 00:03:32

@seething1234 childcare is just extortionate isn't it! That's the trouble I'm having, plus finding anyone with availability!
@Ciwirocks I live a short commute from a city, about 20 mins, not a large city though

Gooseygoosey12345 Sat 23-Feb-19 00:04:44

Thank you for all the suggestions! I'm going to start looking with fresh eyes in the morning smile

michaelT1 Sat 23-Feb-19 00:04:52

Hi,I've recently started working for myself,only during school hours say,9-3 Monday to Friday as a private cleaner and I can honestly say it's the best thing I have ever done! I finish early enough to be home when my son gets home from school with enough time to make sure dinner is cooked and ready, I do not work weekends unless it's very worth it as family time comes first.I used to work for a company and while I was very happy at first I soon realised I was busting my gut for someone else's gain,I can now say I love working and would highly recommend trying to work for yourself and choose the hours that suit you.I know it's not always that easy as I know from my own experience but its worth a try!

AndromedaPerseus Sat 23-Feb-19 00:22:52

Amazon local deliveries in the evenings

Gooseygoosey12345 Sat 23-Feb-19 10:16:55

@michaelT1 I used to run my own cleaning business but my little one isn't in school for another few years so I can only do evening and weekends now, most people want their cleaning done during the day so it doesn't fit my hours unfortunately. But it is a brilliant job, I loved working for myself!

Gooseygoosey12345 Sat 23-Feb-19 10:17:40

I've got two caring jobs to look into, care in the community, which can offer me evenings and weekends! Very excited, speaking to one of them tomorrow and one on Monday!

ChubbyMummy12 Sat 23-Feb-19 10:51:13

Call centres, I do 4pm-10pm at one

michaelT1 Sat 23-Feb-19 10:58:04

Good luck ,I hope it goes well xx

Yabbers Sat 23-Feb-19 11:11:28

most people want their cleaning done during the day

Target offices. We actually find it difficult to find a decent cleaner who will work evenings and weekends!

Brilliantidiot Sat 23-Feb-19 11:22:37

Secondly bar/waiting/hotel however if you can sleep the next day look into night manager/porter. You do need to be quite strong physically (I mean no Geoff Capes or anything but capable of moving collapsible tables and stacks of chairs with a trolley) and cool in a stressful situation (first aid, fire alarm, complaint etc) as in small places you usually work alone. You're the night duty manager. But it's a great way to get to know hospitality - there's things about the hotel I work in only I know 😁 and if you're sole charge it's often a little more than min wage and a massive bonus for a job like hospitality (also care and retail) is that you usually have set nights and hours, all year round, no matter what, so you don't go from working like a demon in December and never seeing your family to no hours in January because business has dropped.
It's 'traditionally' a man's job (I know, don't shoot the messenger!) But being honest I've been offered every position I've gone for, it's never gone against me to my knowledge despite interviewers and others expressing surprise at me being female.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »